• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in Restaurants and the like

geeck

imported post

I'm a native New Orleanian currently living in the St. Louis, Mo. area for almost 13 years. I frequently go home, 6 to 8 times a year, for family visits and work. I'm in the process of moving back to to Louisiana, probably to St. Tammany.

In Missouri they are allowed tocarry in Restaurants that serve alcohol. As long asthe Restaurants primary source of income is from food and not alcohol. Of course this can be very subjective, but it seems to be a workable system.

The way I read the Louisiana law, Anyestablishment that has a class A alcohol license is OFF LIMITS period. Am I interpreting the law correctly? Like I said, I'm from New Orleans and I think there's evena few Catholic churches that have Class A licenses ;-) Doesn't this put an awfullot of places in the New Orleans area off-limits? Or I'm I reading the the statue all wrong?

When home now, I just avoid, I much as possible, any place that sells alcohol forconsumption on the premises. However, in New Orleans it's like avoiding a a pile of dog poop at the pound.

aroundlsu

imported post

As explained to us in my CCW class (http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#prohibited), the [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Class A-General retail permit[/font] is a business that has more than 50% of their sales based on alcohol consumed on the premises (i.e. a bar or nightclub). Restaurants do not have a Class A license. Neither do liquor stores.

I carry daily into restaurants all across the city. This was explained very carefully in the classroom.

Edit: However [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]a church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship [/font]is in fact OFF LIMITS.

geeck

imported post

Thanks it's very similar to the Missouri law then. I had read the statue before venturing into LA for the first time packing. I just didn't have a good working knowledge of what a Class A license was... so I played it safe.

I knew it was illegal in church I was just trying to get the point across that they serve alcohol even in church down there. It would be hard to carry in Louisiana if you couldn't be in an area with any alcohol.

thanks again

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

I was just about to ask this question because I wasn't sure if I could carry into Chili's or Applebee's last week. Good to know.

aroundlsu

imported post

The phone number to the La. CCW section is (225)925-GUNS. The women who answer the phone are very friendly and knowledgeable. I recommend calling and asking this question on your own so you can say something more then "some guy on the internet said it was OK"if anofficial stops and questions you. :)