• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Giving a Handgun as a Gift.

PackininVB

imported post

My little brother is getting married this August. I live in VB and he lives in Greenville, N.C. I'm thinking of getting him a handgun for a wedding present. It will be his first gun (im thinking an XD Sub Compact .40). Are there any stipulations that I need to worry about or anything I need to do before giving it to him?

TEX1N

imported post

You'll have to check NC law also. When I was stationed down there I remember that they had some weird handgun approval letter that you had to get signed by the sheriff. I don't remember details and I'm not sure if it would apply to transfers.

Like I said, research NC law...

W.E.G.

imported post

To do it legally, you need to take to a FFL in the state where the transfer will occur. The FFL can receive it from the grantor, and transfer it on his license to the in-state grantee.

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If it was me buying a gun for my brother, I'd just buy him the gun, wrap it up, and give it to him. But hey, that's just me.

TrueBrit

imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
If it was me buying a gun for my brother, I'd just buy him the gun, wrap it up, and give it to him. But hey, that's just me.

My sentiments exactly,Reverend. Too much bloody red tape and BS otherwise!

But, probably best to observe the rules and regs, exceedingly tiresome though they undoubtedly are. Folks might get the impression that we are a bunch of outlaws, otherwise!;)

TrueBrit.

tarzan1888

imported post

Here Bob I wanted you to have this.

Thanks Jim.

Tarzan

PS Just so you know my name is NOT Jim and I DO NOT have a brother named Bob. Those were random names to prove a point.

Sheeshh I get PM's wondering if my name is Jim

PPS I stated what I would like to do. If my brother can not legally take position of one of my guns then I would have to change what I said and did., in regard to giving him a gun.

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
To do it legally, you need to take to a FFL in the state where the transfer will occur. The FFL can receive it from the grantor, and transfer it on his license to the in-state grantee.

so me selling a pistol to a buddy in Maryland is illega without the grand oversight and benevolent moral-making authority of the leviathan state?

tarzan1888

imported post

thorsmitersaw wrote:
W.E.G. wrote:

so me selling a pistol to a buddy in Maryland is illega without the grand oversight and benevolent moral-making authority of the leviathan state?

Yes

Tarzan

Neplusultra

imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
Reverend73 wrote:

But, probably best to observe the rules and regs, exceedingly tiresome though they undoubtedly are. Folks might get the impression that we are a bunch of outlaws, otherwise!;)

TrueBrit.
I wouldn't listen to what I say below, these are just my thoughts that might be true but still land you in the pokey:

You could also just transfer it to his possession while he is visiting the great state of Virginia..... Of course even though he's your brother and not a known gun trafficker (he's not is he?) the law will still see him as an out of state person. BUT, what is the purpose and spirit of the law? To stop interstate trafficking of guns for illegal purposes. Actually the law cannot does not stop "anything" unless a law officer is right there watching it happen. The law is there to punish those who break the law, after they have done so.

So, did you commit interstate trafficking of guns for illegal purposes? Hardly. I'd ask the judge to throw the case out as a huge waste of state resources. I think he would too. He's your freakin' brother!

acrimsontide

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
TrueBrit wrote:
Reverend73 wrote:

TrueBrit.
I wouldn't listen to what I say below, these are just my thoughts that might be true but still land you in the pokey:

You could also just transfer it to his possession while he is visiting the great state of Virginia..... Of course even though he's your brother and not a known gun trafficker (he's not is he?) the law will still see him as an out of state person. BUT, what is the purpose and spirit of the law? To stop interstate trafficking of guns for illegal purposes. Actually the law cannot does not stop "anything" unless a law officer is right there watching it happen. The law is there to punish those who break the law, after they have done so.

So, did you commit interstate trafficking of guns for illegal purposes? Hardly. I'd ask the judge to throw the case out as a huge waste of state resources. I think he would too. He's your freakin' brother!

Just to play the devil's advocate: Suppose that you gave the gun to your brother as in the above example and in the future he uses that gun for self defense. At that point LEOs would become involved and the weapon would be traced back to you and the fact that it was illegally transferred to your brother would become known. This would open the door for possible legal action against your brother and you.

Additionally, in this day of litigation, the "illegal" transfercould be excellent ammunition for a civil suit against both of you. I don't like the law either but it could be used against you both in criminal and civil court. The "illegal" transfer could be avoided by: 1> Giving your brother the money to buy a gun legally in his state or 2> if it is a gun that you already have, shipping it to a FFL dealer in his state and paying the $25 to $50 fee that the FFL holder would charge, which would be a small price to pay to avoid possible federal and state charges, ammunition for a civil suit or BOTH!!! Just something to think about.

doug23838

imported post

Man.. they've gotten to some of you folks.

I'm with the Rev and others on this. Buy the gun, wrap it nicely, give it proudly.

Your brother can't come to Virginia and BUY a handgun from an FFL. But you can GO to NC and give him a present.

And as for that NC "permit to purchase" you have to get signed from the Sheriff.... Do you also need a permit in NC to go to church?

acrimsontide

imported post

doug23838 wrote:
Man.. they've gotten to some of you folks.

I'm with the Rev and others on this. Buy the gun, wrap it nicely, give it proudly.

Your brother can't come to Virginia and BUY a handgun from an FFL. But you can GO to NC and give him a present.

And as for that NC "permit to purchase" you have to get signed from the Sheriff.... Do you also need a permit in NC to go to church?
Doug, they have not "gotten to me". I don't like the law either but,currently it is the law. I was only saying, in a round about way, is it worth the risk for someone and their brother when it could be avoided by a $ 25 to $50 fee to make the whole thing legal according to current law?