• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permit to carry a pocket knife

expvideo

imported post

I had someone at my office ask me if I had a permit for my knife. She was opening a package with her keys and I asked her if she would like to use my knife. She said yes, so I opened it for her and handed it to her, holding the blade end of the knife, so that she would be taking the handle. Anyway, my knife is a Kershaw, so it has a spring assist, and snaps out into place (not illegal like a switchblade) after I get the blade moving. It makes for easy one-handed operation.

Seeing the knife she said "Oh that looks dangerous! Do you have a permit for that?"

I didn't know how to respond, so I just laughed and told her that there was no such thing as a permit to carry a knife. I was really taken aback by the question, but I found it amusing, so I thought I would share.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I laughed when I read that; but then it did manage to piss me off a little. Themindset that says you must have someone's permission to have a weapon has permeated so much of society. I have to think the brainwashing in public schools (which we pay for, btw) has alot to do with the thinking (or lack thereof)

expvideo

imported post

dngreer wrote:
I laughed when I read that; but then it did manage to piss me off a little. Themindset that says you must have someone's permission to have a weapon has permeated so much of society. I have to think the brainwashing in public schools (which we pay for, btw) has alot to do with the thinking (or lack thereof)
Agreed, and I was a little upset by the question, but going off on a rant about freedom seemed inappropriate at work.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I think you handled the question the right way (a rant would have put you in the "crazy" category in her mind).

Ajetpilot

imported post

Here is some interesting info from the Seattle Municipal Code. My knife is 4" long. I'll have to remember to leave it at home when I go to Seattle.

SMC 12A.14.010 Definitions.

The following definitions apply in this chapter:

A. "Dangerous knife" means any fixed-blade knife and any other knife
having a blade more than three and one-half inches (3 1/2") in length.

SMC 12A.14.080 Unlawful use of weapons.

It is unlawful for a person knowingly to:

B. Carry concealed or unconcealed on his or her person any dangerous
knife, or carry concealed on his or her person any deadly weapon other
than a firearm;

joshmmm

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
Here is some interesting info from the Seattle Municipal Code. My knife is 4" long. I'll have to remember to leave it at home when I go to Seattle.

than a firearm;
I've read that before and often wondered if that makes carrying a steak knife illegal, or, for that matter, a butter knife??? I would think that most steak knives have a blade longer than 3.5", and certainly most cooking knives do.

If I was to carry a steak knife or meat cleaver on my person, either in a backpack or in my hand, would that be illegal?

I can see it now... the next thug charged with illegal carry of a knife will be in court yelling... "why me, this is racial profiling!!! go arrest the cook at the Met!!! I saw him walking around the restaurant with a really big knife!!!"

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Can't decide to laugh or cry, or both... Permit for a knife? Jeez. I can't believe how conditioned people are to think you need a permit for any weapon. Of course she could be from a really backwards part of the country. Like Kalifornia, or Chicago, etc...

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

joshmmm wrote:
Ajetpilot wrote:

than a firearm;
I've read that before and often wondered if that makes carrying a steak knife illegal, or, for that matter, a butter knife??? I would think that most steak knives have a blade longer than 3.5", and certainly most cooking knives do.

If I was to carry a steak knife or meat cleaver on my person, either in a backpack or in my hand, would that be illegal?

I can see it now... the next thug charged with illegal carry of a knife will be in court yelling... "why me, this is racial profiling!!! go arrest the cook at the Met!!! I saw him walking around the restaurant with a really big knife!!!"
Maybe they should run an NCIS when you go to the store to buy cutlery...:?

nofoa

imported post

Total ban on these saturday night knives! These entirely plastic weapons can be smuggled through metal detectors and employed to bring down airliners. They feature diamond sharp edges that can cut through metal, and easily defeat bulletproof vests. Serated edges can be added to this deadly and dangerious weapon, to rip and tear through bone and muscle.

DEKO%20KNIFE.jpg

imgres

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

nofoa wrote:
Total ban on these saturday night knives! These entirely plastic weapons can be smuggled through metal detectors and employed to bring down airliners. They feature diamond sharp edges that can cut through metal, and easily defeat bulletproof vests. Serated edges can be added to this deadly and dangerious weapon, to rip and tear through bone and muscle.

DEKO%20KNIFE.jpg

imgres
:what: Oh horrors! We must ban these things at once. For the children!
ROTFLMAO!

Dave_pro2a

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
Yeah I hate that.

Seattle is Leek territory, everywhere else I go is regular Spyderco or Benchmande land ;)

I guess liberal hippies are scared of sharp tools, thus they are all rather dumb :lol:

Helter

imported post

Doesn't matter, it's illegal since it's a fixed-blade. :?

I'm left wondering about the legalities of carrying AOWs (of which that knife-gun is an example), though. Can I OC a Serbu Super Shorty? :lol:

Bear 45/70

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:

than a firearm;

What the hell is a "dangerous knife"? A knife is a tool and is neither good, bad, useful or dangerous. How it is used makes the user good, bad or dangerous, but the knife or for that matter a weapon is never dangerous on its own. These laws are being writtem by morons who can't even look up a proper defintion in a dictionary.

BluesBear

imported post

I'm all of a sudden seeing a lot of memtion on this forum about the Serbu Super Shorty. Did y'all just recently learn of this gun or what?

First of all itis NOT classified as a handgun, it's an AOL (Any Other Weapon)so it's NOT covered under your CPL. Even though an AR-15 pistol IS.

The reason I don't own one is the same reason I gave up my Ithaca Auto & Burgular when I moved into Washington State. IF the BATF should ever reclassify themfrom AOW to SBS (Short Barreled Shotgun) they they would be very unlawful in Washington.

just_a_car

imported post

Hey Bear, that's my fault... I have drooled over them over at Impact for a while and figured I'd share some of the 'want' with some friends here, so started to post a link to it in reference to how silly it would be to CC or OC it.