Thread: Louisiana CC permit ok to OC in Indiana?

Post imported post

I am currently stationed in Louisiana and I OC all the time. A permit is not required in LA to OC, so I don't have my CCW yet. However, when i do get it, and I come home on leave for the holidays or whenever, will Indiana accept a LA CCW permit if I'm OCing? Or would I have to get an Indiana carry permit to OC? I know that Indiana recognizes other states permits, however what if those states don't specify OC on the permit?

Post imported post

Yes, Indiana honors your permit. Indiana does not issue a "concealed" license they issue a permit to "carry a handgun". Openly or concealed. Any restrictions to your permit would be imposed by the host states laws so you should be good to go. INAL.

Franklin Township, DeKalb County, Indiana, USA

Post imported post

I'm not the attorney general, but I believe you're good to go with your Louisana permit. Ours is a license to carry handgun & we decide how we carry it. Follow Indiana laws & you will probably be alright.

State Researcher

Post imported post

IC 35-47-2-21 Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    35-47-2-21 Sec. 21.
    (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

Post imported post

Ok, I just wasn't sure because there is no designation on the LA permit for OC, becuase you don't need a permit to OC. that's nice to know. Thank you.

Post imported post

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
    I am currently stationed in Louisiana and I OC all the time. A permit is not required in LA to OC, so I don't have my CCW yet. However, when i do get it, and I come home on leave for the holidays or whenever, will Indiana accept a LA CCW permit if I'm OCing? Or would I have to get an Indiana carry permit to OC? I know that Indiana recognizes other states permits, however what if those states don't specify OC on the permit?
    Will you be able to get a Louisiana CHP since you're in the Navy and just stationed in Louisiana?

Do you have a Louisiana DL?

Post imported post

The DL is what I'm waiting on. I've been a resident for over 6 months, so I can get one, I just need to get an LA license, then I'm good to go.