• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

D.C. Gun Amnesty

echo6tango

imported post

http://www.nbc4.com/news/14826237/detail.html

Need a little extra cash for Christmas shopping?
Assault type rifle [the scary looking ones], automatic/semi-automatic pistol: $100
Revolvers: $50
Derringers: $50
Shot guns: $50
Rifles: $50
Air/BB/pellet guns: $10

"Working" weapons only please, and do remember to bring your "papers." I wonder if they're going to conduct test fires before payment is made. I may show up justto see if they're turning around and selling the gunsafterwards. This could very possibly get those pesky guns off the streets in D.C. once and for all! No more gun crimes in D.C. Uh...yeah, right...back to reality.

Who gets the amnesty...the gun or the person turning in the gun? Why do folks in Northern Virginia and Maryland need amnesty in D.C.? Oh that's right, because all the guns in D.C. come from Va and Md...duh, what was I thinking?!

IanB

imported post

You can also bring your guns to my house and I'll give you $100 for each functional firearm (That I like and intent to keep or sell). I'm only 13 miles away, but live in the land of safety and common sense. I'll even go so far as to meet y'all at the river to save you the trip.

glocknroll

imported post

I'm glad someone else brought up this subject, cuz I have a little dilemma.

Newport News PD is conducting a gun buyback. $100 bucks for any functioning firearm. I have an old single barrel shotgun that I gave 20 bucks for. I thought it might be a good thing to make a profit off of the buy back, on the one hand. On the other hand, it seems wrong to participate at all.

I was going to use the money to buy a Crickett .22 rifle for my 8 yr. old. I can afford the $120 bucks for the .22, I just kind of liked the irony of using the money to buy my son a new rifle.

Any thoughts?

glocknroll

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:

Thanks. The other thing I thought I would do is take a few hundred bucks cash to buy anything I saw that I liked from people who were there to sell their guns.

My only fear is that some of the guns may be stolen.

markand

imported post

Here's a direct link to the Metropolitan Police website about the event:

http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1242,q,546745.asp

I just wish I had a cheap, but working, hand gun I could take to one of those locations. It'd just be cool to be able to carry in DC. Hopefully, we all can take our hand guns into DC soon.

P.S. It says on the website:

[font="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva"]"Between August 1999 and December 2000, the MPDC conducted three separate gun buy-backs. During these buy-backs, the MPDC collected 6,253 firearms and paid out a total of approximately $528,000."

When you do the math, that comes out to an average of nearly $100 for every gun in the old days. If they still consider the guns to be so "evil" in DC, you've got to wonder why they're being so cheap this time around.

My wife, who used to live in DC, said a lot of the guns are turned in by women -- wives, girlfriends, aunts, grandmothers, etc. of those who "own" the guns.

[/font]

vrwmiller

imported post

markand wrote:
[ snip ]

[font="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva"] My wife, who used to live in DC, said a lot of the guns are turned in by women -- wives, girlfriends, aunts, grandmothers, etc. of those who "own" the guns.[/font]
Wow! I wonder how the gunowners felt about that. I would be pissed!

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

markand wrote:
P.S. It says on the website:

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva]"Between August 1999 and December 2000, the MPDC conducted three separate gun buy-backs. During these buy-backs, the MPDC collected 6,253 firearms and paid out a total of approximately $528,000."
[/font]
Only 6,253 guns, and they think that's accomplishing something? With well over 3000 members on this forum, if we each only had two guns a piece, that'd be over 6000 guns. I would have to bet that most of us have at least 3 guns, and those that only have one or two would be countered by those that have a whole lot more. 3 guns a piece would be over 9000 guns just on this forum. 6,253 guns collected in a year and 4 months? Talk about a waste of time!

markand

imported post

If they ever have one of these stupid, so-called"gun buy backs" (if they didn't own then gun, how canthey buy it back?)in Virginia , I just might show up with some cash and check out what people are bringing in and offer them more for a private sale than to turn it in. I've heard that these gun turn in events sometimes see very valuable guns being turned in for a few dollars. Family members sometimes inherit valuable gun collections, but have no idea what they have. Just frightened that they now have guns and want to get rid of them.

glocknroll

imported post

markand wrote:
If they ever have one of these stupid, so-called"gun buy backs" (if they didn't own then gun, how canthey buy it back?)in Virginia , I just might show up with some cash and check out what people are bringing in and offer them more for a private sale than to turn it in. I've heard that these gun turn in events sometimes see very valuable guns being turned in for a few dollars. Family members sometimes inherit valuable gun collections, but have no idea what they have. Just frightened that they now have guns and want to get rid of them.

You just missed the one in Newport News yesterday. They ran out of money in one hour and 15 minutes. It was supposed to last 6 hours.

I've seen some pictures of what they turned in, and most of it looks like junk.