• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Something i dont understand

Radisma

imported post

Here is something i dont understand.

First off im a big 2nd Amend advocate and im 20 years of age and will be 21 in july....and honestly the ONLY reason i have never open carried is ive read up on different laws for Kentucky and it was my understanding you had to be 21 to get a CC license.

After finding this site it says you can OC a handgun if you are of 18 years of age (and seems thats the same for most states)

So that means if i want to go down to the store to buy a thing of milk and i want to take my handgun with me on my hip its ok?

I dont understand why its ok to OC it from 18+ but you have to be 21+ to get a license to CC .....

Im a huge 2nd amend nut and i opose gun laws more than anything....so when i found this site i was very pleased that you can OC at 18+

More than likely i will start OC'ing but i had some questions...

If a LEO comes to me and asks me to see my ID i have no problems showing my ID...but since i dont have a CC license would i get in trouble for having a gun on me?

It just seems odd to me you HAVE to be 21+ to get a CC license but can OC a handgun at 18+.... can anyone explain a little better?

lol as much as i want to OC (for my protection and to support the 2nd amendmant) i really would not like to be arested considering im about to start college to become a LEO ( dont need an arrest record lol )

thanks alot for the help guys and gals!

-Branden

Radisma

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
Historically, concealed carry laws were passed because criminals hid/concealed their guns.

Yeah and it makes sense. the only thing i dont understand is why you can be 18 and OC aparently but cant CC until your 21....just doesnt make alot of sense to me.

Seeing as how my Father gave me a Jericho (baby eagle) 9mm when i was young to practice shooting and ever since i turned 18 i always wish i could OC it for 1) protection and 2) to show my support for our rights.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Yes, if you want to OC to go buy a "thing of milk" you can, without a license, if you are 18+ obviously no felony convictions and that type of thing.

Let us know how it goes, and welcome!

Radisma

imported post

openryan wrote:
Yes, if you want to OC to go buy a "thing of milk" you can, without a license, if you are 18+ obviously no felony convictions and that type of thing.

Let us know how it goes, and welcome!

Will do and thanks for all the info....luckily we are a somewhat small town and i know most the officers but i have one more question.

Like i said if any LEO asks me for an Id i have no problem giving it...i know to be nice and cooperative...but lets say a LEO says that im in the wrong....otehr than just saying "actually im in the right since im not concealing it and im over 18 so its ok" what would be the proper way to tell a less informed officer what the right thing is?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

If an officer thinks you are wrong, moreso, tells you flat out that you are wrong, there is little you can do to change his mind at this point. If you can get him to contact a supervisor or someone who actually knows the legality of OC.

Carrying the statutes with you might be of some assistance, but again this probably won't change their mind.

The best thing about being over 18, but less than 21, is that the officer cannot tell you to conceal, rather coerce you into doing so! Because that my friend, would be illegal!

I would tell him that carrying within the laws of the state, and even if you wanted to conceal you cannot until you are 21.

Radisma

imported post

openryan wrote:
If an officer thinks you are wrong, moreso, tells you flat out that you are wrong, there is little you can do to change his mind at this point. If you can get him to contact a supervisor or someone who actually knows the legality of OC.

Carrying the statutes with you might be of some assistance, but again this probably won't change their mind.

The best thing about being over 18, but less than 21, is that the officer cannot tell you to conceal, rather coerce you into doing so! Because that my friend, would be illegal!

I would tell him that carrying within the laws of the state, and even if you wanted to conceal you cannot until you are 21.

Yeah thats a good point ill keep that in mind.

I still just cant believe i was never informed or never knew you could OC as long as you were over the age of 18... Its amazing how ignorant people can be.... and i obviously mean ignorant in a non mean way since until about 4 hours ago i was ignorant lol.

Ill ahve to pass this information on to my father and one of my female co-workers.

thanks for all the information guys.

Also one LAST question for the night.... i read in the KY statute something about the firearm being loaded...i take it its ok if you have a semi-auto handgun that having rounds in the clip is ok as long as a round isnt chambered? Im asuming thats ok... kinda pointless to be aloud to OC without ammo....lol like a car without gas

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

It says loaded is defined in 237.060, however I can't bring it up on the .gov site...

You know a link where KY statutes/code can be found?

Radisma

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Radisma wrote:
openryan wrote:

I still just cant believe i was never informed or never knew you could OC as long as you were over the age of 18... Its amazing how ignorant people can be.... and i obviously mean ignorant in a non mean way since until about 4 hours ago i was ignorant lol.

Ill ahve to pass this information on to my father and one of my female co-workers.

Also one LAST question for the night.... i read in the KY statute something about the firearm being loaded...i take it its ok if you have a semi-auto handgun that having rounds in the clip is ok as long as a round isnt chambered? Im asuming thats ok... kinda pointless to be aloud to OC without ammo....lol like a car without gas
I was quite suprised as to their definitions under 237.060. I don't know what statute you are referring to about it being loaded, but apparantly if it says you cannot carry loaded without a permit, you are SOL... what statutes are you referring to that you are speaking on?

237.060 Definitions for KRS 237.060 to 237.090 and certain other sections.
The following definitions apply in KRS 237.060 to 237.090 and KRS 197.170,
218A.992, 244.125, 244.990, and 514.110, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) "Handgun" means any pistol or revolver originally designed to be fired by the use of
a single hand, or any other firearm originally designed to be fired by the use of a
single hand.
(2) "Firearm" means any weapon which will expel a projectile by the action of an
explosive.
(3) "Licensed gun dealer" means a person who has a federal firearms license and any
business license required by a state or local government entity.
(4) "Loaded" with respect to a firearm means:
(a) There is ammunition in the chamber of the firearm; or
(b) There is ammunition in the cylinder of the firearm; or
(c) There is ammunition in the magazine of a firearm, if the magazine is attached
to the firearm.

Radisma

imported post

openryan wrote:
Radisma wrote:
openryan wrote:

I was quite suprised as to their definitions under 237.060. I don't know what statute you are referring to about it being loaded, but apparantly if it says you cannot carry loaded without a permit, you are SOL... what statutes are you referring to that you are speaking on?

(1) "Handgun" means any pistol or revolver originally designed to be fired by the use of
a single hand, or any other firearm originally designed to be fired by the use of a
single hand.
(2) "Firearm" means any weapon which will expel a projectile by the action of an
explosive.
(3) "Licensed gun dealer" means a person who has a federal firearms license and any
(c) There is ammunition in the magazine of a firearm, if the magazine is attached
to the firearm.

527.100 Possession of handgun by minor.
(1) A person is guilty of possession of a handgun by a minor when, being under the age
of eighteen (18) years, he possesses, manufactures, or transports a handgun as
defined by KRS 527.010, except when the person is:

(a) In attendance at a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course;

(b) Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm, or target shooting at an
established firing range, or any other area where the discharge of a firearm is
not prohibited;

(c) Engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm, or
participating in or practicing for a performance by a group organized under
Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or any successor thereto
which uses firearms as a part of the performance;

(d) Hunting or trapping pursuant to a valid license issued to him pursuant to the
statutes or administrative regulations of this Commonwealth;

(e) Traveling to or from any activity described in paragraphs (a) to (d) of this
subsection with any unloaded handgun in his possession;

(f) On real property which is under the control of an adult and has the permission
of that adult and his parent or legal guardian to possess a handgun; or

(g) At his residence and with the permission of his parent or legal guardian
possesses a handgun and is justified under the principles of justification set
forth in KRS Chapter 503 in using physical force or deadly physical force.

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section, a handgun is "loaded" if:

(a) There is a cartridge in the chamber of the handgun; or

(b) There is a cartridge in the cylinder of the handgun, if the handgun is a
revolver; or

(c) There is a cartridge in the magazine of a semiautomatic handgun, if the
magazine is attached to the handgun; or

(d) The handgun and the ammunition for the handgun, are carried on the person
of one under the age of eighteen (18) years or are in such close proximity to
him that he could readily gain access to the handgun and the ammunition and
load the handgun.

(3) Possession of a handgun by a minor is a Class A misdemeanor for the first offense
and a Class D felony for each subsequent offense.
Effective: July 15, 1994
History: Created 1994 Ky. Acts ch. 30, sec. 1, effective July 15, 1994.
Page 1 of 1

Just seeing the whole loaded thing made me think if you carry a handgun and have ammo on it its a no-no.... a may have just read it wrong since its 3am lol.

Im just amazed i wasnt more informed about all this.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

From everything I have seen in my very limited research, it looks as if you can carry openly, being over 18, and loaded (one in the chamber) if you like.

But this is just what I have ascertained so far... check with an attorney or a more trusted source to back this up...

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Radisma wrote:
openryan wrote:
Radisma wrote:
openryan wrote:

single hand.
explosive.
to the firearm.

527.100 Possession of handgun by minor.
(1) A person is guilty of possession of a handgun by a minor when, being under the age
of eighteen (18) years, he possesses, manufactures, or transports a handgun as
defined by KRS 527.010, except when the person is:

(a) In attendance at a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course;

(b) Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm, or target shooting at an
established firing range, or any other area where the discharge of a firearm is
not prohibited;

(c) Engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm, or
participating in or practicing for a performance by a group organized under
Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or any successor thereto
which uses firearms as a part of the performance;

(d) Hunting or trapping pursuant to a valid license issued to him pursuant to the
statutes or administrative regulations of this Commonwealth;

(e) Traveling to or from any activity described in paragraphs (a) to (d) of this
subsection with any unloaded handgun in his possession;

(f) On real property which is under the control of an adult and has the permission
of that adult and his parent or legal guardian to possess a handgun; or

(g) At his residence and with the permission of his parent or legal guardian
possesses a handgun and is justified under the principles of justification set
forth in KRS Chapter 503 in using physical force or deadly physical force.

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section, a handgun is "loaded" if:

(a) There is a cartridge in the chamber of the handgun; or

(b) There is a cartridge in the cylinder of the handgun, if the handgun is a
revolver; or

(c) There is a cartridge in the magazine of a semiautomatic handgun, if the
magazine is attached to the handgun; or

(d) The handgun and the ammunition for the handgun, are carried on the person
of one under the age of eighteen (18) years or are in such close proximity to
him that he could readily gain access to the handgun and the ammunition and
load the handgun.

(3) Possession of a handgun by a minor is a Class A misdemeanor for the first offense
and a Class D felony for each subsequent offense.
Effective: July 15, 1994
History: Created 1994 Ky. Acts ch. 30, sec. 1, effective July 15, 1994.
Page 1 of 1

Just seeing the whole loaded thing made me think if you carry a handgun and have ammo on it its a no-no.... a may have just read it wrong since its 3am lol.

Im just amazed i wasnt more informed about all this.
This statue is only referring to individuals under the age of 18. If you are indeed over the age of 18, carry what you like, how you like (as long as it's open of course).

j2l3

imported post

To answer your question about holsters. A holster is a holster, in your case it has to be visible. Many people will tell you that a thigh rig will get you much more unwanted attention than a standard hip holster. It really comes down to personal preference.

Radisma

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
To answer your question about holsters. A holster is a holster, in your case it has to be visible. Many people will tell you that a thigh rig will get you much more unwanted attention than a standard hip holster. It really comes down to personal preference.

Yeah ive tried a few hip holsters but the gun i own is a Jericho (Baby eagle) 9mm...so its hard to find a good holster for it...

The one i have i can wear fine on my hip but it jsut feels kinda wonky like its hanging a bit to much.

Ive wanted to buy a new one but most the holsters ive found are for glocks and such... when i turn 21 ill buy my own glock from a FFL but for now i like my Jericho.

Ill probably stick with the thigh holster but ill look into it a bit more.

I still dont understand though how its legal to OC at 18+ but you have to be 21+ to CC ( and to get a CDWL ) Anyone have a explanation for this?

trying to explain aloto f this to my friends and family but they dont understand how its legal to OC at 18+ but not CC until 21+.....so im not sure what to tell them lol

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Radisma wrote:
j2l3 wrote:

Yeah ive tried a few hip holsters but the gun i own is a Jericho (Baby eagle) 9mm...so its hard to find a good holster for it...

The one i have i can wear fine on my hip but it jsut feels kinda wonky like its hanging a bit to much.

Ive wanted to buy a new one but most the holsters ive found are for glocks and such... when i turn 21 ill buy my own glock from a FFL but for now i like my Jericho.

Ill probably stick with the thigh holster but ill look into it a bit more.

I still dont understand though how its legal to OC at 18+ but you have to be 21+ to CC ( and to get a CDWL ) Anyone have a explanation for this?

trying to explain aloto f this to my friends and family but they dont understand how its legal to OC at 18+ but not CC until 21+.....so im not sure what to tell them lol
I don't know what their reasoning was...

Statistically speaking though, most criminals do not open carry.

People who OC usually hold themselves to a higher social standard as well, but I don't know exactly how that would play into their deeming of when you can CC.

Not to mock you or anything, but you don't really need an explanation except to humor yourself... it comes down to that what you want to do is legal, if you want to cc wait until you are 21... or of course try to get the law changed ;)

Don't tell them anything, tell them to look up the statutes for themselves:p

Superlite27

imported post

Congrats onthe decision to excerciseto exercise your right, Radisma.

Just a little friendly advice:

If you do carry, it will only be a matter of time before you run into several "types" of people. It's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when". These people are:

1) The "Are you a cop?" asker. It is tempting to just say yes, and avoid follow up questions, orthe panicked look of confused fear in the person's eyes, but this is a no-no. Avoid the temptation for smart-alecky answers as well. A calm "No, I'm a legally armed citizen" is a good answer.

2) The question asker. "What do you have to do to carry one? What type of gun is that? Have you ever shot anybody?" You'll eventually have someone ask you every question they can think of about your gun.

3) The gun hater. "I don't see what you need that for. Guns are evil. You're evil" etc. Ignore the attempts to lure you into a confrontation or arguement. The only fight you can win with these idiots is a gunfight. Anything else andyou will just come off as a hothead with a gun. That is not good. Walk away from these nut jobs.

Just remember, when people see you carrying, you are representing ALL OF US PEOPLE WHO CARRY. Although it may be very tempting to toss them a smart remark, this will only make them, or anyone who hears it think "People who carry guns are jerks." That is not doing the Second Amendment any favors.