• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Desert Lakes Shooting Range/Lodge

bplv

imported post

I just got a membership to Desert Sportsman's. Much cheaper, $150 / year, and you can bring up to 4 guests at a time for free. (and I live on the NW side of town). Desert Lakes does look like they have a really nice facility though.

Marco

imported post

I was a member of DS 1988 until 2005
DS didn't have any facilities just the covered BR area and the Silhouette.
Did they make any improvements since 2005?

Don't get me wrong, I loved shootingthere. Idon't need much.
I shot Paladin, the sub-gun matches and on the rare occasion IPSC and IDPA
Friends of minerun/ran VINBAR and the sub-gun matches.

Is Pete (the guy with the camo Hummer) still hanging around there?

I've heard the Boulder City range was had some improvements and is hosting more events.

My house was nearCheyenne and Hualapai west of the 215.
Do you ever shop @ Master Shooter Supply on Sahara between Arville and Valley View.

bplv

imported post

They have covered a few more areas I believe. They have a range clubhouse and a generator but I think they only open it up for meetings and range orientation. Still no power or water/sewer facilities though.

Desert Lakes looks like a resort in comparison, but just too pricey for me.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=&ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&ll=36.147838,-115.366809&spn=0.01147,0.019591&z=16

http://www.dsrpc.net/

The county is building a shooting park as well in the NW. As gov projects go, it is behind schedule though. They are also building it in a flood plain, so there is lots of extra engineering I guess. It should be pretty neat when it is finished though.

http://www.accessclarkcounty.com/Parks/Shooting_Park.htm

Can't have too many ranges, right?

My membership was approved, but I haven't received the credentials yet. They are supposed to be here any day now, so I'm real anxious to go out shooting. I didn't see a camo Hummer out there during range orientation, but I wasn't looking for it.

I've been in Master Shooter's Supply once when I was looking for a 10/22, but didn't buy anything. They are still there though.

Marco

imported post

:idea:DS is usually open to the public on the weekends when events are going on .....matches

I posted a thread regarding the Counties shooting park
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum36/5199.html

There can never be too many ranges.:D

Floyds stock items are sometimes limited but he is a good guy and will order anything you want.
If your ever in there bring up 10mm and my name will probably come up.

Have any new GS opened since Bill's Buy and Sell closed its doors?

lordnitrox

imported post

I go to desert lakes all the time to shoot, and i have to say it's a nice place.
The lodge is eh..ok i guess. i'm there to shoot not talk in the club house.
Over all I do like it and had no issues yet, kinda pricey but it's about the same as some other places if you add in the cost of gas. ( i live about 15 min from it)

Erus

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Man, I miss Nevada.

Man, I miss Nevada, too, and I still live here.

When I was growing up here, the whole valley was a FREE outdoor range. lol. I used to shoot up West Charleston.. right about where 515crosses itnow. I left for ten years, (MN where there was always some farmer who would let you shoot his land) and came back to the current county map (good luck reading it) of where you can and can not shoot on public land.

http://gisgate.co.clark.nv.us/gisplot_pdfs/cp/illegalfirearms.pdf

Now I just go over the hump to NYE county to shoot in the open... wild, free, and ungoverned.. just like GOD intended us to. lol...

Ah well... /rant

Enjoy!

Erus

Marco

imported post

know what you mean.
I shotwhere the Lakes ison W. Sahara or E. Lake Mead
Or SASS group was allowed to shoot on Mt Charelston.

the new map is :?ing, aprivate/public range is the only real alternative

the county range should be nice when it opens

Erus

imported post

HEY! stumbled upon directions to the area (BLM) near boulder city that still is a place for FREE outdoor shooting, for those of us who remember and miss it. Now I don;t have to go all the way to NYE county unless I want to. (no, NOT for that OTHER reason to go there lol)

Enjoy!

Erus

Link here:

(also includes a few really good "hidden" trails and camping areas, etc.)

http://www.lasvegashiddentrails.com/photo_album.html

DIRECTIONS: Take U.S. 93/95 south from Boulder City 12.4 miles to Eldorado Valley Drive. You will be turning left through two white triangle markers into the desert. Follow the short dirt road to the large flat area which has a huge mound of dirt on it. You will see a road on your left (north/northeast). Take that approx. one third mile to a large cylindrical concrete tower (see picture on left). You can park there and shoot or start hiking south east to the mountains or the flat area which will be easy to notice on your left.