• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it real

HMDGLOCK

imported post

Every time someonequestions meabout OCing, it's the same questions. The first question is "Is that a gun." Then the next question is "Is it real." Then you get "do you have a permit." I just don't understand how most people think alike. I want to know if I am the only one who gets asked these questionsand if there is any other interesting questions you get asked.

Superlite27

imported post

Wait for "Are you a cop?"

These come with the territory. No matter how annoying they get, I always try to view them as potential "converts" to the world of self-protection.

Nothing willscream"gun owners areall jerks" louder than a smart remark.

Nothing will advance support for the Second Amendment more than a patient and friendly reply.

imperialism2024

imported post

I guess that people might think it's a taser. Or some sort of new fashion statement. But if they're just not used to seeing OCed guns, they probably assume it's something else.

If you were walking down the street and saw someone with a squid in a hip holster, would you walk up to him and say, "Is that a squid? Is it real?" While you might not ask whether he has a LTCS for it, I'd say they're all reasonable questions.

Superlite27

imported post

I wonder, what caliber do squids come in?

Who makes a comfortable squid holster?

I'm leaning towards a lamprey. Lampreys just have a more natural point of aimfor me.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HMDGLOCK wrote:
Every time someonequestions meabout OCing, it's the same questions. The first question is "Is that a gun." Then the next question is "Is it real." Then you get "do you have a permit." I just don't understand how most people think alike. I want to know if I am the only one who gets asked these questionsand if there is any other interesting questions you get asked.
It sounds like the questioners are having trouble accepting what their eyes are telling them. "It can't be."

I've only had that sort of thing once. I didn't find out about it until later. Two business aquaintences of mine were eating lunch together and saw me being seated inthe same restaurant. Call them Joe and Steve. I later learned from Steve during a business discussion that he and Joe spotted me being seatedthat day in therestaurant.

Steveasked Joe, "What's that on his belt?"

Joe, "It looks like a gun."

Steve, "No. It must be a PDA or something. What do you think it is?"

Joe, "I think its a gun." (With certainty)

Steve, in telling me, allowed as how he at first just couldn't believe it was a gun.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Usually I get the LEO questions... but today I got a particularily funny one... the lady thought I was a security gaurd, and asked me, "where do you secure?" :p

expvideo

imported post

For some reason I think a lot of people figure that it is a bb gun or an airsoft. I have no idea why people jump to that conclusion so quickly. Maybe it's because a real gun would be making you go crazy and kill people.

compmanio365

imported post

expvideo wrote:
For some reason I think a lot of people figure that it is a bb gun or an airsoft. I have no idea why people jump to that conclusion so quickly. Maybe it's because a real gun would be making you go crazy and kill people.

I've been asked about a BB gun, taser......I need to just paint my "power drill" yellow, and then people will just think I'm in house construction! :p

Did you show her your squid?
This statement is dangerous and needs to be removed from thethread before someone else chokes and dies while in the middle of drinking something..........:)

Legba

imported post

Real guns make me go crazy and kill people - just ask the cops.

But seriously... I'm inured to the "are you a cop?" bit. Just smile and say "no" and let them wonder. I am getting a little tired of the Cult of the Glock asking me "is that a Glock?" about my Smith, though. It has a black finish, but the similarity ends there.

-ljp

tarzan1888

imported post

Legba wrote:
Real guns make me go crazy and kill people - just ask the cops.

But seriously... I'm inured to the "are you a cop?" bit. Just smile and say "no" and let them wonder. I am getting a little tired of the Cult of the Glock asking me "is that a Glock?" about my Smith, though. It has a black finish, but the similarity ends there.

-ljp

This reminds me of a story.

I am a Geologist and on one occasion I was doing some work in Florida. It was in the summer and I had finished for the day and it was only about 3 in the afternoon and so I thought I would go to the beach. Daytona Beach was nearby and so I drove to the beach to see what I could see

Geologists aren't normal people. When I do field work I wear a brown Fedora a brown leather jacket, wear a gun and a knife. When I go to the beach it is to observe the sedimentary process.

I did my Thesis on a series of tidal flat deposits and as it so happened the tide was out when I got to the beach, which exposed the tidal channels and deposits.

This was great. I parked my car on the beach and got out my binoculars and sat there watching the process in action. the binoculars compressed the field of view and it was amazing.

As I sat there a group of teenagers weren't far away and they kept watching me. I guess it is not often that you see a guy dressed as I was sitting at the beach with a gun andbinoculars, looking out at the Ocean.

Finally one of the young men came up to me and said, "Are you CIA?" I looked at him, without cracking a smile and said, "I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you." and went back to my binoculars.

He beat a hasty retreat, talked for a few moments to his friends and the entire group quickly left.

True Story

Tarzan

Decoligny

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:

I'm leaning towards a lamprey. Lampreys just have a more natural point of aimfor me.
Not to mention the Lampreys don't even need a holster, they just stick naturally to your side. :D

tarzan1888

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Superlite27 wrote:

Not to mention the Lampreys don't even need a holster, they just stick naturally to your side. :D

roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif

One time when I was living in California, I went to the beach with this idiot. A guy fishing on the peer had caught a little Lamprey and this idiot asked if he could have it.

We took the thing to my apartment and he filled the sink with water and put it in.

You got it. It stuck to the bottom of the sink and we like to never git the thing out.

I can vouch that one could stick to your side with no holster, (no problem except for when you wanted to draw the thing).
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif

Tarzan

tarzan1888

imported post

jhisaac1 wrote:
I can vouch that one could stick to your side with no holster, (no problem except for when you wanted to draw the thing).
I'm thinking mexican carry would be a bad idea.

roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
Man you almost made me choke to death on my own spit.
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif

Tarzan

PavePusher

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
jhisaac1 wrote:
I'm thinking mexican carry would be a bad idea.

roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
Man you almost made me choke to death on my own spit.
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif

Tarzan

A freekin' coffee spew warning would have been nice!

Anyway, squids, it takes forever to wash the ink off, and lampreys have crappy actions. I prefer the less-than-lethal approach, so I carry an electric eel. Very safe as long as you have a plastic holster and wear rubber gloves.... zzzztt! Definitly not for "Mexican" carry...