Thread: Stupid OC question

Post imported post

Ive seen pictures of people i supose who use these but seeing as how its winter im just curious if a thigh holster would be considered OC.

No clothing would be covering the firearm so i dont see a problem other than it looknig a bit different so possibly being looked at different.

Or is a LEO going to frown about a Thigh holster aposed to a hip?

One reason i ask (as said in other posts) is i cant find a good hip holster i like for my pistol that doesnt hang or bounce to much. But i have a thigh holster i love that feels very secure and id feel secure carrying.

So would my thigh rig be ok to OC?

Post imported post

Well, does your state law say anything about a hip holster?

Presumably (there's that word again), visible is visible, however your law defines it.

I've also been up since Monday, so I may not know what I am talking about.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    Well, does your state law say anything about a hip holster?

Presumably (there's that word again), visible is visible, however your law defines it.

I've also been up since Monday, so I may not know what I am talking about.
    Well technically ive never actually found anything in the Kentucky State statutes that says its ok to carry OC.

Only thing i have to go by is this site sayings its ok and in the statutes it says its ok for someone 18+ to have a firearm.

But i cant find anything about open carry....ive found some things on CC but not OC

Post imported post

Yes, that is still considered open carry. I have contacted the Kentucky State Police on several occasions in regards to open carry as I plan to move there next year and must be a resident for 6 months before I can apply for a CCW. There is no statute prohibiting the open carry of lawfully owned firearms except that you cant carry them in a bar or a school. The Kentucky State Constitution says that the people have a the right to keep and bear arms subject to the Commonwealth's power to enact laws to prohibit the carrying of concealed weapons. It specifically says concealed weapons. THere is 1952 Kentucky Supreme Court ruling stating that the Commonwealth can only pass laws regarding the carrying of CONCEALED weapons, not openly carried weapons. God Bless Kentucky!

Post imported post

I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
    Yes, that is still considered open carry. I have contacted the Kentucky State Police on several occasions in regards to open carry as I plan to move there next year and must be a resident for 6 months before I can apply for a CCW. There is no statute prohibiting the open carry of lawfully owned firearms except that you cant carry them in a bar or a school. The Kentucky State Constitution says that the people have a the right to keep and bear arms subject to the Commonwealth's power to enact laws to prohibit the carrying of concealed weapons. It specifically says concealed weapons. THere is 1952 Kentucky Supreme Court ruling stating that the Commonwealth can only pass laws regarding the carrying of CONCEALED weapons, not openly carried weapons. God Bless Kentucky!
    Amen to that lol.

Post imported post

Radisma wrote:
    I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
    Amen to that lol.

Drop leg thigh rig, perfectly OK, as long as the gun and holster are clearly visible as such, to constitute unambiguous open carry.

I think we have pictures here, in the Utah section, of these rigs being worn.Be aware that such rigs MIGHT attract rather more attention than the more traditional hip holster.

TrueBrit.

Post imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
    I think we have pictures here, in the Utah section, of these rigs being worn.
    This is the one he is talking about. I don't wear it often, but now that winter is here, I am wearing it more.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

Radisma wrote:
    Well technically ive never actually found anything in the Kentucky State statutes that says its ok to carry OC.
    And you almost never will.

Laws don't ever seem to tell you what you CAN do, just what you can not.

VA laws don't say you can OC, but that do not say you can't.

The same appears true with Kentucky, then.

And, in response to whatever grammar nazi is about to say "Oh but what about here!?!?oneone", shut up, no one cares about that exception to what I just said.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

State Researcher

Post imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:

This is just a personal preference and a senseless observation, but I don't know if I'd be comfortable with it sticking out so far. Serpa's are secure (i carry in one) but in that picture, it just looks insecure. Oh well, that's why I don't have a thigh rig! Good for you if you can make it work!

Post imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
    SGT Jensen wrote:

This is just a personal preference and a senseless observation, but I don't know if I'd be comfortable with it sticking out so far. Serpa's are secure (i carry in one) but in that picture, it just looks insecure. Oh well, that's why I don't have a thigh rig! Good for you if you can make it work!
    http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.asp...amp;CatID=1043

thats the thigh rig i currently own and plan on using for OC

I need to buy a new Hip Holster but its hard to find one for the handgun i own.

Own a Jericho 9mm ( sometimes called a Baby eagle made my IMI )