• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting my brother in Leesburg in January.

Bersa45

imported post

I was wondering if there is a duty to inform in Virginia or should you anyways for coutesy to Leo if pulled over for a traffic stop. Also from reading these forums it sounds like Virginia, no matter where you travel, is OC friendly. I know I will have to stop and secure before entering Maryland. Any words of wisdom or advise from the masses is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

LEO 229

imported post

If you are driving.... you will pass through many states. The laws can obviously be different from state to state or county to county.

I would submit that the safe route would be keep the gun unloaded and in a locked container or trunk to be safe.

I do not know of any law that says you must tell what is in your car.

There are many laws covering what is not permitted so be sure to brush up on them. If you tell us what you plan on doing we can guide you better.

There is no law prohibiting OCing but people may call the police on you. Most departments know OC is not a crime but you may be approached.

Cooperation is your best bet if you are contacted.

Marco

imported post

This has been discussed before, a quick search should uncover theVA CODE.

In VA there is no duty to notifiy, however the gun must be in plan view (you'll hear different options on this matter) whether you choose to notify or not is up to you.

when you arrive check the VA thread to see if there is a outing or post one.

Bersa45

imported post

I have an Ohio and Pa permit for ccw and the only state that doesn't recognize it is Maryland,j so I will have to lock it in the trunk.

Agent19,
what do you mean to check for outings or post one? Thanks for the replies.

Marco

imported post

SNIP:
what do you mean to check for outings or post one? Thanks for the replies.

an outing is when a member post he/she is going to eat out somewhere and post the location and invites others to join them.

Native NY'er and gun friendly:p

Neplusultra

imported post

Agent19 wrote:

In VA there is no duty to notifiy, however the gun must be in plan view (you'll hear different options on this matter) whether you choose to notify or not is up to you.

Not a different opinion just that your functional and loaded gun must be in plain view if you don't have a concealed carry permit that is honored in VA. I got pulled over for speeding and did not notify the officer that I had a gun in my pocket, no need. I'm sure he knew I had a CC permit too. BTW, he had me for 70 in a 55. I told him I normally go the standard nine miles an hour over but must have been over that due to the looong downhill grade I was on. He did not give me a ticket. Whew! Was it the downhill grade argument, or that he was just a nice guy, or that he knew I had a CC? Don't know. I saw him in a restaurant a month later, it was mexican and he's hispanic, the only one way out here in the sticks (both police force and restaurant). I gave him a nod of recognition.

The Sheriff came by my business because of his running for reelection. We talked for a good while about reloading, what was the best hollow point ammo for a one shot knock down, 9mm or .45 (he was with me on the .45). Interesting conversatioin for an old big town Chicago boy. The small town I lived in near Chicago has five times the population of our entire county.

vt357

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Agent19 wrote:

Not a different opinion just that your functional and loaded gun must be in plain view if you don't have a concealed carry permit that is honored in VA. I got pulled over for speeding and did not notify the officer that I had a gun in my pocket, no need. I'm sure he knew I had a CC permit too. BTW, he had me for 70 in a 55. I told him I normally go the standard nine miles an hour over but must have been over that due to the looong downhill grade I was on. He did not give me a ticket. Whew! Was it the downhill grade argument, or that he was just a nice guy, or that he knew I had a CC? Don't know. I saw him in a restaurant a month later, it was mexican and he's hispanic, the only one way out here in the sticks (both police force and restaurant). I gave him a nod of recognition.

The Sheriff came by my business because of his running for reelection. We talked for a good while about reloading, what was the best hollow point ammo for a one shot knock down, 9mm or .45 (he was with me on the .45). Interesting conversatioin for an old big town Chicago boy. The small town I lived in near Chicago has five times the population of our entire county.
OT but let me guess, you got pulled over on 460 right where it crosses the new river right?

Bersa45

imported post

MSgt B wrote:
Why bother with Maryland?

Figure out a route down through West Virginia, a much friendlier place than Maryland. A prettier drive too.
I was looking at another route, but to Leesburg from Ashtabula,Ohio it would add probably add an hour or two to the already 5 hour trip. I guess I have no choice but to disarm driving through Maryland.:cuss:

Neplusultra

imported post

vt357 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Agent19 wrote:

OT but let me guess, you got pulled over on 460 right where it crosses the new river right?
Damn, you're good! I take it you travel the area a lot?

vt357

imported post

Bersa - I looked at googlemaps and one option you have is to get off on Route 522 just east of Everett in PA. You take that south for about 40 miles then turn east on Route 7 for about another 40 miles right into Leesburg. It might at 30-45 minuts to your drive. But I'd imagine it would be a nice scenic route as opposed to a possibly congested highway drive through Frederick, MD. You would still have to drive through Maryland but only for about 5 miles instead of the probably 50-75 if you I-70 through MD. When I went to northern PA for my honeymoon I took I-81 instead of I-95. I was only in MD for about 10 minutes instead of an hour. It might have added a few minutes but it was well worth it in my opinion.

Map and Directions:

Map and Directions From Google

Neplusultra: When I was a student at VT I used to drive to Pearisburg to go to Walmart. The one in Christiansburg was always packed with students. The drive is beautiful too so it was always worth the extra time to make the trip. I also loved to hike to Angel's rest on the AT - the view of Pearisburg is very pretty at night with all the lights. But I seem to remember a state trooper would always be sitting right at the bottom of the hill near the bridge on 460. I always tried to keep my speed down on that hill. But it is hard - it is steep, and like you said, it is looooooooooong. Now that I am in Richmond, I really miss that part of the state.

Bersa45

imported post

Well we made it to Leesburg, Va yesterday. We did travel through Maryland but we stopped in Pa and disarmed and locked in the trunk before entering Maryland. Today my brother,dad and I went to Loudoun gun shop and browsed the selection. Very nice selection I might add. Was looking at the PF9 Keltec but I just purchased the SR9 Ruger for Christmas,so I will have to wait awhile.;)