• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

guns and librarys

ballester

imported post

well i know its legal to carry my gun in librarys thats why ia m now and boy howdy as i sit in powhatan library right now checking my email...well would you know it in comes a an inmate work force to do repairs on the library, nice to now that my one glock 17 mag holds more than that doc 38 model 64 and hits harder. so for anyone against guns in librarys can kiss it. me my girlfriend and my 15 month old are here first and one severly outnumbered guard is not going to have me bet my familiys life on it.:cuss::banghead:

sorry jsut an unexpected blowoff thanks for listening

nevermind on one thing 4 inmates against 1, and i did not notice this till after he took jacket off, UNARMED:what:GUARD and people ask why i carry.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If you are still there -- please inform the correctioal officer that you are armed. He should not be bringing inmates into a place where firearms are present -- but then he did not know you were there.

stay safe.

skidmark

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OK, my heart rate is back close to normal again. I'll be calmer now. I used to work for DOC before I retired, which explains why I am so "excited" over this.

Inmates who are allowed to do community service are in the lowest security classification, and usually within a few months of going home. The Dept. of Corrections trusts them as much as they can be trusted. Yes, there were MANY instances where trusty inmates killed/raped/robbed/acted stupid. But those things happened when it was easier to get out on a trusty work detail.

The Dept. of Corrections is supposed to clear all community service work with the local sherrif beforehand. Inmates are not supposed to work within 1000 feet of homes and they are not supposed to work in public buildings while "civillians" are present. Correctional Officers are not supposed to violate those rules. nor are they supposed to allow inmates to get into close proximity to firearms, knives, clubs, or other things that might be used as weapons. The same applies to work details from the local Jail - which in the case of Powhatan County is operated by the Dept. of Corrections, so it is not a Sherrif's Deputy screwing up on this.

Ballester - would you consider contacting The Dept. of Corrections, Office of Internal Affairs,about this incident? If, as I am presuming, you were open-carrying at the library, the Correctional Officer should have noticed that as he inspected the place before allowing the inmates to enter the building. I'm hoping that nothing has happened, but the possibility was there and the risk was created by what seems to be several slips on the Det. of Corrections.

stay safe.

skidmark

ballester

imported post

well uneventful, they finished up and left, did not want to volunteer that information i was CC'ing not OC'ing so i jsut went to another section of the libraray to use the kids computers, as with the inmates were jsut four feet from me and my familiy. and thats not bashing the inmates they were obviously on low level work release and probably not a threat, but you never know. it jsut goes to show that you can never ever be prepared for everything all the time, jsut this time i was. bet you most people would never think of running into inmates in a public library, this placed cleared out fast:dude:. but again it jsut shows you never know. thanks for the concern

ballester

imported post

hahaha inspect the place? he followed inmates in and followed them out, at one point there was a 30 second intervul where the inmates where in seperate parts of library from him, best believe i was watching them like a hawk. and i usually CC in the library just because iwb is more comfortable when sitting in those chairs, my blackhawk serpa always gets caught under arm rest so i jsut iwb here.

i probably will say something, one of the people i work with is a guard at deep meadows so i probably ask him to get the numbers to contact. thanks again for concern. how did i know that maybe one had a month left to serve, but had a problem at home and could not wait that month. but anyways jsut shows its nice to have it even when you did not use it, nice little comfortable feeling. :celebrate

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ballester - glad to know everything stayed calm. I understand why you might not want to inform the Correctional Officer and have no agrument with you on that.

Hope you understood my concern was that DOC screwed up and placed everyone there in danger by not following the rules. I am very glad you were there to protect your GF & your child, and possibly anyone else who did not clear out. Wish you had a camera & that you took pictures of their faces when they saw the inmates - as they say on TV - "priceless."

DOC phone # is 674-3000. Ask for "Infernal Affairs".:lol:

stay safe.

skidmark

Neplusultra

imported post

ballester wrote:
and i did not notice this till after he took jacket off, UNARMED:what:GUARD and people ask why i carry.
Why would you assume he's armed???? :) The shopping mall in Nebraska (sp?) that just had the shooting beefed up their security afterwards, with photos of the new "guards". Of course they all were still unarmed and therefore not likely to take on an armed attacker. Gewhiz kids, can you figure the logic behind that move???? Sadly, I think I can. Another reason to carry.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Why would you assume he's armed???? :) [cut as not essential to the discussion] Gewhiz kids, can you figure the logic behind that move???? Sadly, I think I can. Another reason to carry.

Correctional Officers assigned to community service work details are not armed becaose DOC policy says they are not to be armed because DOC thinkers know that inmates assigned to such details are classified as lowest-risk. The CO is supposed to have a radio in case he needs to call for help. And yet the same inmates, if assigned to a Road Crew (cutting brush & grass on the sides of the interstate), will be under a Correctional Officer carrying a 12-guage shotgun and a pistol, and most likely a DOT employee carrying a pistol. ([sarcasm] I guess that's because DOC thinks inmates have a better chance to escape from the side of an interstate.[/sarcasm])

As Ballester pointed out, nothing happened. But, as he also pointed out, something could have happened. First of all, folks were where they should not have been. Second, even though they are classified as low-risk, their track record is that they do not think that the consequences should havestopped them from doing whatever it was they did - which means there is a higher likelihood they will not stop because of the potential consequences next time.

Ballester handled himself well, and is to be commended. His experience shows that even when all the rules say "it" cannot happen, Mr. Murphy has a way of rearranging things.

stay safe.

skidmark