• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The High Road - Are we taking it and should we be taking it?

wqbang

imported post

I really like this board. It is the most informative place on the net regarding Washington State firearms law, it is enjoyable reading, and it is local. Reading these pages are gun lobbyists, firearms instructors, shootists, journalists, policeman, lawyers, doctors, laborers, programmers, salesman, in fact a fantasticly diverse audience here - all interested in Open Carry. Not only that, but it has been INSTRUMENTAL in promoting Open Carry in Washington state.

However, I have seen the following disturbing trends in the last 3 months or so...

1. Increase in personal attacks.
2. Bullying.
3. Open contempt and ridicule of police officers.

This may:

1. Hurt our cause (promoting peacable open carry in Washington State).
2. Give gun owners in general a bad name.
3. Drive away new visitors.
4. Drive away active members.
4. May make police agencies (they are reading this forum) view open carriers as troublemakers and hotheads.

With that said, these are my personal thoughts regarding my observations. I would never say things such as these with out an idea to help resolve them. My first thought was to model one of the best, most civil, firearms forum on the net. The High Road - http://Thehighroad.org

Here is their forum policy.

http://www.thehighroad.org/code-of-conduct.html

Please consider posting your thoughts on this thread. Thanks for reading.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I think for the most part here people conduct themselves in a fair manner, but of course there are the times when we are passionate about our stance on a particular issue, and the line is crossed and attacks can become personal.

However, a lot of the comments made are in gest, not everything said is made out to be a personal attack.

Furthermore, the forum growing at a rapid pace, you are bound to get some "bad apples", trolls, etc.

I would say close scrutiny of police officers is a more logical term, we have all had our good encounters, and we have all had our bad.

Unfortunately, some of the comments I have made in the past could probably be taken as a personal attack even though they were not mean to be such, everyone will interpret comments differently, after all, text alone cannot convey vocal tone/afflection.

Though some of us can cross the line from time to time, I think we all try to hold ourselves to a high standard, not only here, but when in public as well. I think the moderation is doing the best job it can and the sort of events you are referring to, while could and should be reduced, are more of the exception rather than the rule.

tarzan1888

imported post

I just read the Highroad rules;

"1.) All topics and posts must be related to firearms...... "

I do like to poke a little fun especially when some people get too serious, but everything should have a basis in firearms or open carry issues.

"2.) Multiple user registrations are prohibited. "

I'm with that one 100%

"3.) As a family-friendly board, we ask that you keep your language clean. If you wouldn't say it in front of your dear old Grandma, you probably don't want to say it here. "

I'm with that one 100% (Of course my grandma is dead)

"4.) Spamming, trolling, flaming, and personal attacks are prohibited. You can disagree with other members, even vehemently, but it must be done in a well-mannered form. Attack the argument, not the arguer."

I'm with that one 100%......well most of the time, as long as the attacks include a funny joke.

"5.) We cannot provide a comprehensive list of "Things Not To Say"......"

Nor should we ever.

I am all for raising the maturity level of the forum as long as we don't lose our sense of humor, but I really don't care what our enemies think.

Tarzan

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

"3.) As a family-friendly board, we ask that you keep your language clean. If you wouldn't say it in front of your dear old Grandma, you probably don't want to say it here. "

You haven't met my Grandma...

ChinChin

imported post

wqbang wrote:
This may:

1. Hurt our cause (promoting peacable open carry in Washington State).
"Our cause" is promoting open carry nationwide, not just Washington State.
2. Give gun owners in general a bad name.
Newsflash, in some circles this has already happened.
3. Drive away new visitors.
That will happen regardless. Some people will come here and leave no matter what the policy du jour is.
4. Drive away active members.
That will happen regardless. Some people will come here and leave no matter what the policy du jour is.
5. May make police agencies (they are reading this forum) view open carriers as troublemakers and hotheads.
They already do. You can't swing a dead mongoose without reading the acount of some lawful gunholder being harassed by "the man." We have people actively persuing legal recourse, have some people with multiple court cases over having an LEO lock them up on a questionable chagre. Your comment makes the asumption that police agencies presently view open carriers in a positive light. Predominately I can assure you such is not the case.

With that said, these are my personal thoughts regarding my observations. I would never say things such as these with out an idea to help resolve them. My first thought was to model one of the best, most civil, firearms forum on the net. The High Road - http://Thehighroad.org

I think you are quickly about to find that many here disagree with your personal thought and observations that "the high road" is one of the best, most civil firearm forums on the net.

I've seen the message board you reference. I for one do not mirror your affection for it.

bayboy42

imported post

I've read several of "the high road" threads and can promise you that without a doubt, many of the members there rarely ever take "the high road".....some of them would be lucky to identify "the high road" if it was the only road in front of them.

I know, I know, somebody's gonna pull the "citation please" request. I cannot access thr from my work computer so I'll have to edit this message when I get home tonight. I'm not saying OCDO is perfect, I'm just saying that the rules are very similar regardless of the forum and the ultimate end results are also very similar.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
I've read several of "the high road" threads and can promise you that without a doubt, many of the members there rarely ever take "the high road".....some of them would be lucky to identify "the high road" if it was the only road in front of them.

+1

They also exibit the opposite in response to an OC discussion.

Dave_pro2a

imported post

ChinChin wrote:

I think you are quickly about to find that many here disagree with your personal thought and observations that "the high road" is one of the best, most civil firearm forums on the net.

I've seen the message board you reference. I for one do not mirror your affection for it.

+1

And, imho all forums have positive and negative aspects.

The only difference here is that we can be fairly sure some local authorities are reading posts.

Will some posts turn them off to our cause, well, were they ever turned on in the first place? And maybe it's good for them to see, in the broad light of day, the actual actions of their officers and reactions of the victims of their officers.

local politics = the squeeky wheel gets the grease. The meek shall not attain policital reform.

Dave_pro2a

imported post

wqbang wrote:
However, I have seen the following disturbing trends in the last 3 months or so...

2. Bullying.

Think about the recent Olympia incident for a few seconds.

1) I'd rather deal with some personal attacks online in a forum, as opposed to haveing a cop put a gun to my back in real life.

2) I'd rather deal with some internet bullying, as opposed to having a 'gang' of three cops bully me in real life for simply doing a legal activity.

3) I'd rather deal with open contempt and ridicule online in a forum from a bunch of strangers who have NO power over me... than deal with contempt and ridicule in real lifefrom elected and appointed public officials, who have a great deal of power over me.

What you are seeing being expressed on the board is mostly,imho, righteous indignation. And people have actually been very restrained and civil -- all things considered.

And for the record, I think that forum member Johnnylaw is a troll who is participating with the intent to create negative controversy. He is not here to help, he is not on our side, but rather he continually poke the embers to stir up some fire.

tarzan1888

imported post

Dave_pro2a wrote:
And for the record, I think that forum member Johnnylaw is a troll......

We will see. I will keep an eye on him.

No not the right one, the good one. The left one.

Tarzan

Update.....After spot checking about half of his posts, I see no evidence that Johnny Law is a Troll. But what do I know I only have one good eye.

Wheelgunner

imported post

You can't swing a dead mongoose without reading the acount of some lawful gunholder being harassed by "the man." We have people actively persuing legal recourse, have some people with multiple court cases over having an LEO lock them up on a questionable chagre.

The swinging of dead predators aside, this is the sad truth. Look, between Law Enforcement who view guns as their purview, Liberals who wish they were all gone in a happy world of flowers and pony's and fluffy candy, Animal rights activists who figure anyone with a gun is a kitten murdering psycho, criminals who want safer work conditions and political Activists who are trying to get as much power and money as possible milking the ignorant, the average gun owner feels a little besieged.

G27

imported post

Dave_pro2a wrote:
And for the record, I think that forum member Johnnylaw is a troll who is participating with the intent to create negative controversy. He is not here to help, he is not on our side, but rather he continually poke the embers to stir up some fire.
Had you said this at the beginning when he first joined, then yes. But I do believe he has come a long way and deserves a second chance. Everything he has said does have a valid point, even if we don't want to hear it. I for one enjoy hearing his point of view. It offers a realistic approach rather than what we all want to happen.

Johnny Law

imported post

Dave_pro2a wrote:
wqbang wrote:

2. Bullying.

Dave, and Tarzan,

Inquiring about "raising the bar" on this forum would hardly be considered trolling.

God forbid that they take away that 3rd bullet point, as it seems to be popular with some.

Also I have had some great in-depth discussions via pm's with many of the ranks here and have been asked for legal type advice several times. I will freely offeradvice toanyone here in that manner. I have alsomade several provisions to help the oc cause, which you are unaware of. If youare willing to just relax and not be so quick to judge, you mightlearn that I have already helped many here.

tarzan1888

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
Dave, and Tarzan,

Johnny please check my post above. It has been updated, and it was updated BEFORE I read your latest post.

I don't know you and it was suggested that you were a troll. I went to your posts and checked it out. I see no evidence that you are a troll. I am sorry that I in any way may have falsely accused you.

PS I like to use a little humor in my posts, but it is nothing personal.

Tarzan

Johnny Law

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
Johnny Law wrote:
Dave, and Tarzan,

Johnny please check my post above. It has been updated, and it was updated BEFORE I read your latest post.

I don't know you and it was suggested that you were a troll. I went to your posts and checked it out. I see no evidence that you are a troll. I am sorry that I in any way may have falsely accused you.

PS I like to use a little humor in my posts, but it is nothing personal.

Tarzan
No offense taken. I hadn't seen that guy's picture in some time and was laughing to myself about it. I too enjoy a little humor injected at the right moment.

wqbang

imported post

1. To clarify, I posted this to the Washington forum intentionally because that is where I participate.

2. The intention of this thread is to discuss actions and perceptions. How are posts are perceived ARE important for open carry. Perception IS reality.

3. The observations I made at the beginning of this posts are my perceptions. Perhaps I am just being "sensitive", but I guarantee that I am not the only one.

4. I don't want this board to be like "those" boards. Even if you think THR is one of "those" boards. I want this forum to have intelligent debate. This is a forum about open carry and those who oppose it should be rebuked - but that does not mean civility needs to be thrown to the wind. DONT FEED THE TROLLS!

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

By the nature of the subject matter discussed here, you are going to hear more complaints about police officers than praise.

There has been praise as well as the non sensational reports of LEO having no issue with someones OC.

The reports where an LEO acted inappropriately are the ones that get discussed (rightfully so).

It's the way it is.