• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The High Road - Are we taking it and should we be taking it?

Dave_pro2a

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
Also I have had some great in-depth discussions via pm's with many of the ranks here and have been asked for legal type advice several times. I will freely offeradvice toanyone here in that manner. I have alsomade several provisions to help the oc cause, which you are unaware of. If youare willing to just relax and not be so quick to judge, you mightlearn that I have already helped many here.

I'm not privy to your PMs.

If you're helping, great.

But remember, our rights are being attacked by police officers who point guns and slap on handcuffs and let the DA sort it out later (at the expense and mental trama of the vicitim). So yes, many of us (well at least me) are critical of LEOs in general, based on numerous specific instances. When a LEO is on a gun board, constantly 'defending' the actions of other LEOs, it's suspect imho.

Dave_pro2a

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
By the nature of the subject matter discussed here, you are going to hear more complaints about police officers than praise.

There has been praise as well as the non sensational reports of LEO having no issue with someones OC.

The reports where an LEO acted inappropriately are the ones that get discussed (rightfully so).

It's the way it is.

That's true for any profession.

Just ask a gas station attendant, a librarian, a postal employee, a barista, a sales clerk, etc.

Compliments are HARD WON, anger and complaints come easy.

http://money.howstuffworks.com/customer-service2.htm

"Studies show that a satisfied customer will tell 2-3 people about his experience with your company. A dissatisfied consumer will share their lament with 8-10 people and some will push that number to twenty. "

And that's over piddly stuff, burgers and car bumpers... not over things as important as inalienable natural rights.

Johnny Law

imported post

Dave_pro2a wrote:
Johnny Law wrote:
Also I have had some great in-depth discussions via pm's with many of the ranks here and have been asked for legal type advice several times. I will freely offeradvice toanyone here in that manner. I have alsomade several provisions to help the oc cause, which you are unaware of. If youare willing to just relax and not be so quick to judge, you mightlearn that I have already helped many here.

But remember, our rights are being attacked by police officers who point guns and slap on handcuffs and let the DA sort it out later (at the expense and mental trama of the vicitim). So yes, many of us (well at least me) are critical of LEOs in general, based on numerous specific instances. When a LEO is on a gun board, constantly 'defending' the actions of other LEOs, it's suspect imho.
I understand your point, but I think sometimes myintent ismisinterpreted.

Many times when I try to explain a certain Police procedure and the reasoning behind it, I am accused of trying to justify another Officer's actions. I do play devil's advocate many times, but that is sometimes the nature of my perspective. I do this in hopes of clarifying why a certain event may have occured. The more knowledge on a specific topic one has, the better one is able to understand it.

I fully realize that some of the things I say are not what everyone wants to hear, but I am a realist, anddon't think anyone here needs words to be candy coated.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Though I am still new here. I have enjoyed Johnny Law's posts. While I frequently disagree with his views having them enrichens this site. What good is a discussion if everyone has the same opinion?

irfner

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

One other thing not already mentioned. While is it somewhat normal for threads to deviate from the original topic, it seems to be an epidemic here.

Before we respond to a message, we should consider if our response is on topic with the ORIGINAL topic of the thread. If it isn't perhaps a new thread should be opened instead. If it's not worth a new thread, perhaps one should reconsider the post.

Ajetpilot

imported post

As in life, every person we meet on this board comes from a different set of life experiences which have shaped who he/she is today. Everyone is truly unique. Our opinions of a person are initially formed with their first post and change with each successive contribution. I have never agreed completely with the opinions of anyone I’ve ever met, nor have I ever disagreed completely with them. There is always some common ground.

Such is the case with Johnny Law. My initial impression of his posts left a lot to be desired, but my opinions have changed and improved. I don’t care what opinions you have formed of him, you have to give him this: He has been tough enough to stick it out here even with all of the personal attacks he has received. He hasn’t given up and left the group. I, for one, am glad he’s still here. I don’t agree with everything he has to say, but I do enjoy getting the perspective of an experienced LEO.

I honestly believe that JL supports the right of citizens to openly bear arms. If I ever had a professional encounter with him, I suspect he would be able to quickly assess where I fell on the GG- - - - - BG scale in a cordial and non-threatening manner.

Is he defensive of his profession? You bet. I would be too, if somebody were to attack the military profession. In fact, my face would turn beat red, my nostrils would flare, and smoke would start coming out my ears. Not a pretty sight!

More civility and fewer personal attacks would be a wonderful thing, but it might be pretty boring. Our opinions of posters on this board are dynamic; ever changing with each new post. Some of our opinions will improve; others will diminish. But together, we will enjoy our First Amendment right to freedom of expression, and our Second Amendment right to keep and bare arms. What a country!

Bear 45/70

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
Wynder wrote:
These are about identical to our forum rules: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum1/1.html
Yeah, only without the trolling, flaming, pottymouthing, and personal attacks of any kind! And oh yes, throw in a healthy dose of respect, and common courtesy.

I wonder how many here would agree to adopt Thehighroad.org's rules?
This from a guy who came on here throwing sh!t from the hip at all OCers, saying we shouldn't (you don't come right out and say that now, but you hint at it alot). Yeah I'll bet you don't want anybody to express their own opinion, just the party line or cop line for officer safety (still haven't had anybody show where officer safety over rides the Constitution). You still insist that you know of no bad cops. It's called blinded by the light, cause you refuse to see the truth. As to the High Road, heavily moderated forums rarely if ever have the truth presented, only the moderator'sviews and opinions and if everyone is PC all the time then every moron out there canpresent justabout any extreme, crazy, ridiculous; I could go on; without being called for their narrow view or ignoring the facts. Which of course is what the governments wants until they make us all serfs and them royalty (Queen Hiliary)and destroy this unique nation. PC is strangling this country and was created so as not to hurt some twit's feelings when they do something that would rate a Darwin award. In the real world you get your say but have to take the flack for your position and youbetter be able to support that opinion you have expressed. Being PC is the best way to see all our Constitutional rights disappear, not justour 2nd Amendment rights.

CC27

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Johnny Law wrote:
Wynder wrote:
These are about identical to our forum rules: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum1/1.html
Yeah, only without the trolling, flaming, pottymouthing, and personal attacks of any kind! And oh yes, throw in a healthy dose of respect, and common courtesy.

I wonder how many here would agree to adopt Thehighroad.org's rules?
This from a guy who came on here throwing sh!t from the hip at all OCers, saying we shouldn't (you don't come right out and say that now, but you hint at it alot). Yeah I'll bet you don't want anybody to express their own opinion, just the party line or cop line for officer safety (still haven't had anybody show where officer safety over rides the Constitution). You still insist that you know of no bad cops. It's called blinded by the light, cause you refuse to see the truth. As to the High Road, heavily moderated forums rarely if ever have the truth presented, only the moderator'sviews and opinions and if everyone is PC all the time then every moron out there canpresent justabout any extreme, crazy, ridiculous; I could go on; without being called for their narrow view or ignoring the facts. Which of course is what the governments wants until they make us all serfs and them royalty (Queen Hiliary)and destroy this unique nation. PC is strangling this country and was created so as not to hurt some twit's feelings when they do something that would rate a Darwin award. In the real world you get your say but have to take the flack for your position and youbetter be able to support that opinion you have expressed. Being PC is the best way to see all our Constitutional rights disappear, not justour 2nd Amendment rights.
Right on

Bear 45/70

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
Dave_pro2a wrote:
Johnny Law wrote:

I understand your point, but I think sometimes myintent ismisinterpreted.

Many times when I try to explain a certain Police procedure and the reasoning behind it, I am accused of trying to justify another Officer's actions. I do play devil's advocate many times, but that is sometimes the nature of my perspective. I do this in hopes of clarifying why a certain event may have occured. The more knowledge on a specific topic one has, the better one is able to understand it.

I fully realize that some of the things I say are not what everyone wants to hear, but I am a realist, anddon't think anyone here needs words to be candy coated.
When did police procedures over ride Constitutional rights or stateand federal laws? I'm getting real tired of hearing about police procedures and of officer safety being more important than the law and Constitutional guaranties. If you think your job is so dangerous, quit but shut up about the proceedures and officer safety polices that ignore and/or violatethe law or Constitution. Your claim to have helped members here is suspect at best, as secrets don't mean anything. And if you weren't actually at anincident, how can you have any idea as to why something happened, police proceedure be damned. Oh that's right , you don't believe there are any bad cops, so anything they did was justified. Crap, this is stupid.

BluesBear

imported post

I wouldn't get all patrotic or misty-eyeed over The High Road's rules of conduct. If you've ever spent much time over there you'll soon learn they're not quite as "High Road" as they'd like you to believe. And if you want to see a forum where the Police members and the Civilian members have a huge US ve THEM problem look no further than THR. Most forums have similar rules regarding conduct. But it's the Moderators who enforce that conduct. (By the way, Forum Moderator is a polite way of saying Speech Police)

You'll notice different some forums have differing amounts of Moderation. Some of it strict some of it lax. Very seldom is it completely unbiased. You may notice modreators are almost non-existant around here. Probably because the ones qualified to do it don't want the hassle (and believe me moderating a forum can be a big hassle) and those who want the job aren't qualified. For those of you who think most police officers are guilty of abuse of power just take a good look at some of the larger forums on any subject and you really see what abuse of power is all about.

But I'd rather be on a forum with too little moderation than one with too much. As for thread drift... It happens. Look around, it's a natural action of anyone involved in a discussion. Conversations evolve and sometimes even go off on a tangent. If it happens too much for you then do something about it. Mention it. Don't wait for the staff to do it for you. Speak up. And then take a close look at yourself and see how often YOU do it in everyday conversations. What makes a forum better than real time real life is that you can easily have a dozen conversations going on at once in a forum.

And for those who love nothing better than to badger Johnny Lawconsider this.

• I do not think he is a troll. I have read every post he has submitted to this forum and only a fool or an idiot would conclude he is a troll. You may not like him. But that in no way makes his input any less valuable. Hell's Bells™ I can think of at least 10 long time high mileage members here who I consider to be a total waste of electrons. (I really wish this forum, like The High Road, had an ignore function)
  • I know for a fact that he is a legit Washington State Peace Officer. He not only has been there he is, in fact, stillthere. He believes that open carry is okay and that should be good enough.