Thread: Need suggestions on a decent pair of gloves.

Post imported post

My brother-in-law is looking for a pair of "tactical" gloves. He needs something that's warm enough for 30-40*F weather, but that's thin enough that he can handle his pistol, load magazines, and...well....work on cars (he's a body man by trade). Keeping the hands warm in reasonably cold temps, and offering good dexterity are priority. Waterproof / oil-proof is a bonus. Not costing an arm and a leg is a double-bonus.

Anyone have some good suggestions?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
    My brother-in-law is looking for a pair of "tactical" gloves. He needs something that's warm enough for 30-40*F weather, but that's thin enough that he can handle his pistol, load magazines, and...well....work on cars (he's a body man by trade). Keeping the hands warm in reasonably cold temps, and offering good dexterity are priority. Waterproof / oil-proof is a bonus. Not costing an arm and a leg is a double-bonus.

Anyone have some good suggestions?
    I'll second the question.

No matter what Tomahawk says, I just don't look good in Isotoners.

And police gloves stop just before my wrist. Brrrrr. No bueno.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Those all look like possible options. Do you have experience with any of those?

Post imported post

Sorry, I sure dont. I've just seen them on the rack at REI. But they are kind of similar to neoprene.

Post imported post

for shooting I use Hatch's Stret Guard gloves - http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.asp...1&CatID=24

If I were in your b-i-l's position, I would keep my automotive gloves and shooting gloves dedicated. I use Mechanix for work & Hatch for guns. I have the feeling he may not be satified with the durability of any glove if he decideds to use one pair for everything.

As far as the Hatch Street Guards, I use them when I'm shooting the AKM's I have. They do an awsome job of keeping the heat off of my hands & all those sharp edges away. I have absolutely no issues loading magazines or pistol handling with them.

Post imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
    for shooting I use Hatch's Stret Guard gloves - http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.asp...1&CatID=24

If I were in your b-i-l's position, I would keep my automotive gloves and shooting gloves dedicated. I use Mechanix for work & Hatch for guns. I have the feeling he may not be satified with the durability of any glove if he decideds to use one pair for everything.

As far as the Hatch Street Guards, I use them when I'm shooting the AKM's I have. They do an awsome job of keeping the heat off of my hands & all those sharp edges away. I have absolutely no issues loading magazines or pistol handling with them.
    x10 on those gloves. I qualified on the M16 wearing those a couple of years ago in the Colorado winter and fired expert for the first time. I lost 'em in the move to England though, dammit. :X

Check out this site:

http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/gloves.html

Post imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:

I have 2 pairs of HATCH gloves and they are a great buy.

Great brand. They make a specific set of glvoes jsut for shooting that are warm. all of there glvoes ive tried on have been extra warm so hatch is a great brand IMO

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar

Post imported post

Will these work?

Post imported post

color of law wrote:
    Will these work?

Best shooting gloves ever.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Radisma wrote:
    Pleeeez, don't encourage him.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Radisma wrote:
    Is this more to your liking?? If you give more details I might be able to find the right color and size. These look like they have nice finger and palm grips. The index finger is designed for a short trigger pull.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

color of law wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    Radisma wrote:
    Is this more to your liking?? If you give more details I might be able to find the right color and size. These look like they have nice finger and palm grips. The index finger is designed for a short trigger pull.

Jeez, you're worse than Tomahawk!

Post imported post

Geeeezzz!! I don't know why I even try to help someone.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

color of law wrote:
    Geeeezzz!! I don't know why I even try to help someone.
    Click the link and pay close attention to what is said at about the 1:00 mark.

http://tinyurl.com/285vxv

Post imported post

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.asp...95&TabID=1

Try these gloves. I used them on the DMZ in Korea patrolling. Keeps your hands warm and allows you do do fine work. I had to setup 2 claymores for the nightly ambush we would set.

Post imported post

thnycav wrote:
    http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.asp...95&TabID=1

Try these gloves. I used them on the DMZ in Korea patrolling. Keeps your hands warm and allows you do do fine work. I had to setup 2 claymores for the nightly ambush we would set.

I picked up a pair of these & they're as thnycav described

Post imported post

My wife ended up getting the Hatch gloves for her brother as a gift, but I think I might end up buying a pair of those BlackHawk gloves for myself.

Thanks to everyone who contributed such great ideas. It really helped a lot.

Post imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
    My wife ended up getting the Hatch gloves for her brother as a gift, but I think I might end up buying a pair of those BlackHawk gloves for myself.

Thanks to everyone who contributed such great ideas. It really helped a lot.
    Off topic, but let me amuse you all! 100% fact! Unavailable nowadays, I guess!

Dogskin gloves are the bomb! Supple ,tough, warm, finest gloves ever for handling the reins riding or carriage-driving, and fine shooting gloves. I just cut a slit in the trigger finger of my right hand glove, good to go! Mine are as old as the hills, swiped them from Gramp ages ago, andI just saddle soap them occasionally! I dare not tell you all how these gloves were produced on a large scale,back in the day in the old country, and the origins of whencethe dogskins came initially! The PETA boys would have me locked up as a dangerous nut-job!

Merry Christmas, boys!

TrueBrit.

Post imported post

Re: OP

I can sadly say that the new Mechanix gloves are NOT oil proof. :X
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

I use Mechanix gloves. I have the impact series. Not only are they comfortable, but good for shooting, handling small objects, and beating people into submission without splitting your knuckles. I don't know when any of you have had to skull punch an aggressor, but I had to have my hand stitched up between my pinky and ring finger because I nailed a crackhead who was resisting arrest and fighting hard right in the top of his head and my hand split like an stuffed baked potato. Since then, I would always wear my Impact gloves when able.

Post imported post

I bought a pair of dear skin gloves for $8. Cut off the triger finger and they worked great. I also was at the bicycle shop. They have bike gloves, no fingers, that have heavy padding in the palms. I would guess about a 1/4 inch thick. Designed for your weight resting on the handle bars. Not cheep. But thinking about buying and trying as a shooting glove.

Post imported post

Honestly? I'm going to +1 the Mechanix gloves, but not the new style ones.

I like the ones they made about 5 years ago. The new design is {poop}.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

color of law wrote:
    I also was at the bicycle shop. They have bike gloves, no fingers, that have heavy padding in the palms. I would guess about a 1/4 inch thick. Designed for your weight resting on the handle bars. Not cheep. But thinking about buying and trying as a shooting glove.
    Huh. I actually ride a bike, so I've got a couple of pairs knocking around anyway. I should try using them for shooting.