Thread: Cleveland Tn LEO's view on open carry

State Researcher

Post imported post

this is a copy of a letter I wrote to our local chief of police in cleveland tn.

Chief Snyder,

I know Tennessee’s policy on open carry and I am a permit holder and chose to carry concealed. My question is what are you and your officer’s policy on "open carry"?

The Tennessee law states that I am within my rights where permitted to open carry. How do you and your officers feel about this? Will I be stopped and checked or detained? Below is a copy of a situation in Knoxville that happened recently. You may or may not be familiar with this story. In sight of all of the recent shootings in Nebraska, Utah, etc. more citizens need to carry concealed or other wise.

Thank you for you time.

and his reply:

our officers are very familiar with the handgun carry laws of the State of Tennessee. We strive very hard to keep our officers educated on State, Federal and local laws, ordinances and directives. Our officers are trained to follow the law, but also to act in the interest of public safety. In compliance with the law, an officer may disarm a permit holder until the official business is finished. On your choice to carry openly, it is permitted by law-except where excluded by law, and your right will not be infringed upon. However, be aware that you may elicit the attention of law enforcement officers and others in the general public who are not as comfortable with your display of a firearm. This may include a temporary detention to determine your permit status. Understand our officers will ALWAYS act to preserve life. We hope you will understand (in light of mall, church and school shootings) if you are questioned and asked to produce your permit. If you are legally carrying a firearm, you have nothing to fear from the officers of the Cleveland Police Department. Please be aware that state law puts a great deal of emphasis on your responsibilities as a gun owner and permit carrier. I hope this information helps.

Thank You

Lieutenant Kenneth Simpson

Accreditation Manager

Cleveland Police Department

100 Church Street NE

Cleveland, TN 37311

Phone: (423) 476-1121 ext. 3105

Cell: (423) 593-6468

Fax: (423) 303-3135

State Researcher

Post imported post

seems semi-reasonable

Post imported post

openryan wrote:
    seems semi-reasonable
    +1

Post imported post

openryan wrote:
    seems semi-reasonable
    Maybe so, Ryan.

Surely, though, there was no need for all of the usual copspeak gobbledegook with which this cop seeks to justify over the top reactions to OC.

A better response would have been,

"Please be aware that, from time to time, you may be asked to produce your Pistol Permit by one of my officers."

The OCer will politely do so, and the cop should then bugger off about his duties!

No need for all this crap about dis-armament, or temporary detention!

However, given the atrocious behaviour of some PDs where OC is concerned, Ryan, I do see that the response coud have been a lot worse.

I guess that I am indeed becoming a cranky old fart, who lived in the days when cops knew their place in the scheme of things, and served society in a courteous manner!

TrueBrit.

Post imported post

openryan wrote:
    seems semi-reasonable
    Maybe so, Ryan.

Surely, though, there was no need for all of the usual copspeak gobbledegook with which this cop seeks to justify over the top reactions to OC.

"Please be aware that, from time to time, you may be asked to produce your Pistol Permit by one of my officers."

The OCer will politely do so, and the cop should then bugger off about his duties!

However, given the atrocious behaviour of some PDs where OC is concerned, Ryan, I do see that the response coud have been a lot worse.

I guess that I am indeed becoming a cranky old fart, who lived in the days when cops knew their place in the scheme of things, and served society in a courteous manner!

TrueBrit.

Post imported post

openryan wrote:
    seems semi-reasonable
    Maybe so, Ryan.

TrueBrit.

Post imported post

openryan wrote:
    seems semi-reasonable
    My apologies for the triple tap, hit the bloody key too much!Senility, I guess!

TrueBrit.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

BTW: If stopped, there is no reason to "produce your permit" as no permit is required to OC.

The Lieutenant seems pretty full of himself. Maybe you should enlighten him in an effort to "strive very hard to keep our officers educated on State, Federal and local laws"

Post imported post

Double tap....see message below.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

Actually a permit is required to OC in Tennessee, or to CC either one. Also the law states that you must show itto an officer upon his request.

The one part of the Lt.'s response I don't like is about the disarming the OC'er. What TN laws says is the officer may disarm you if it is for his safety, your safety or the safety of others. I understand officers have to be concerned these days, but I think "officer safety" is used to justify many questionable actions.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

just a guy, with a Glock wrote:
    You are making a big mistake asking Law enforcement about their feelings about a citizen open carrying. Who cares what LEO thinks about it. It's not illegal, end of discussion.

Why even write them a letter like that ?

Frankly it's pretty ignorant.
    +1 for "Who cares what LEO thinks about OC?"

We know there are basically two camps of LEO opinion on OC- one is cautiously concerned,the other tyranically opposes. I for one, dont give a damn about either's opinion. You really cant if you want to excersize the 2A.

-1 for "Frankly it's pretty ignorant."

For the law abiding gun owner, it is a commonneed to seek information,acceptance or approval- particularly from law enforcement. And as many times as we can warn others not to seek legal advice from peace officers, people will assume that inquiries of law enforcement are a sound means of instruction. They are not. But Im not sure 'ignorant' is fair...

New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Post imported post

In other words they will stop you and harrass you.

They may not be "comfortable" with your open carry of a firearm.

HAHAHAHA

I'm not comfortable with the LEO carrying openly because it reminds me of just how bad ALL of the LEO I have seen at the range in fact shoot.

I outshot a police firearms instructor with a Glock 26 and he was shooting a full-size .40 cal Glock.

:celebrate

Post imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
    openryan wrote:
    seems semi-reasonable
    Maybe so, Ryan.

TrueBrit.

AMEN!