• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cleveland Tn LEO's view on open carry

tnshooter

State Researcher
imported post

this is a copy of a letter I wrote to our local chief of police in cleveland tn.

Chief Snyder,

I know Tennessee’s policy on open carry and I am a permit holder and chose to carry concealed. My question is what are you and your officer’s policy on "open carry"?

The Tennessee law states that I am within my rights where permitted to open carry. How do you and your officers feel about this? Will I be stopped and checked or detained? Below is a copy of a situation in Knoxville that happened recently. You may or may not be familiar with this story. In sight of all of the recent shootings in Nebraska, Utah, etc. more citizens need to carry concealed or other wise.

Thank you for you time.

and his reply:

our officers are very familiar with the handgun carry laws of the State of Tennessee. We strive very hard to keep our officers educated on State, Federal and local laws, ordinances and directives. Our officers are trained to follow the law, but also to act in the interest of public safety. In compliance with the law, an officer may disarm a permit holder until the official business is finished. On your choice to carry openly, it is permitted by law-except where excluded by law, and your right will not be infringed upon. However, be aware that you may elicit the attention of law enforcement officers and others in the general public who are not as comfortable with your display of a firearm. This may include a temporary detention to determine your permit status. Understand our officers will ALWAYS act to preserve life. We hope you will understand (in light of mall, church and school shootings) if you are questioned and asked to produce your permit. If you are legally carrying a firearm, you have nothing to fear from the officers of the Cleveland Police Department. Please be aware that state law puts a great deal of emphasis on your responsibilities as a gun owner and permit carrier. I hope this information helps.

Thank You

Lieutenant Kenneth Simpson

Accreditation Manager

Cleveland Police Department

100 Church Street NE

Cleveland, TN 37311

Phone: (423) 476-1121 ext. 3105

Cell: (423) 593-6468

Fax: (423) 303-3135

TrueBrit

imported post

openryan wrote:
seems semi-reasonable

Maybe so, Ryan.

Surely, though, there was no need for all of the usual copspeak gobbledegook with which this cop seeks to justify over the top reactions to OC.

A better response would have been,

"Please be aware that, from time to time, you may be asked to produce your Pistol Permit by one of my officers."

The OCer will politely do so, and the cop should then bugger off about his duties!

No need for all this crap about dis-armament, or temporary detention!

However, given the atrocious behaviour of some PDs where OC is concerned, Ryan, I do see that the response coud have been a lot worse.

I guess that I am indeed becoming a cranky old fart, who lived in the days when cops knew their place in the scheme of things, and served society in a courteous manner!

TrueBrit.

TrueBrit

imported post

openryan wrote:
seems semi-reasonable

Maybe so, Ryan.

Surely, though, there was no need for all of the usual copspeak gobbledegook with which this cop seeks to justify over the top reactions to OC.

"Please be aware that, from time to time, you may be asked to produce your Pistol Permit by one of my officers."

The OCer will politely do so, and the cop should then bugger off about his duties!

However, given the atrocious behaviour of some PDs where OC is concerned, Ryan, I do see that the response coud have been a lot worse.

I guess that I am indeed becoming a cranky old fart, who lived in the days when cops knew their place in the scheme of things, and served society in a courteous manner!

TrueBrit.

TrueBrit

imported post

openryan wrote:
seems semi-reasonable

Maybe so, Ryan.

TrueBrit.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

BTW: If stopped, there is no reason to "produce your permit" as no permit is required to OC. :banghead:

The Lieutenant seems pretty full of himself. Maybe you should enlighten him in an effort to "strive very hard to keep our officers educated on State, Federal and local laws" ;)

Fallguy

imported post

Actually a permit is required to OC in Tennessee, or to CC either one. Also the law states that you must show itto an officer upon his request.

The one part of the Lt.'s response I don't like is about the disarming the OC'er. What TN laws says is the officer may disarm you if it is for his safety, your safety or the safety of others. I understand officers have to be concerned these days, but I think "officer safety" is used to justify many questionable actions.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

just a guy, with a Glock wrote:
You are making a big mistake asking Law enforcement about their feelings about a citizen open carrying. Who cares what LEO thinks about it. It's not illegal, end of discussion.

Why even write them a letter like that ?

Frankly it's pretty ignorant.

+1 for "Who cares what LEO thinks about OC?"

We know there are basically two camps of LEO opinion on OC- one is cautiously concerned,the other tyranically opposes. I for one, dont give a damn about either's opinion. You really cant if you want to excersize the 2A.

-1 for "Frankly it's pretty ignorant."

For the law abiding gun owner, it is a commonneed to seek information,acceptance or approval- particularly from law enforcement. And as many times as we can warn others not to seek legal advice from peace officers, people will assume that inquiries of law enforcement are a sound means of instruction. They are not. But Im not sure 'ignorant' is fair...

nauss

imported post

In other words they will stop you and harrass you.

They may not be "comfortable" with your open carry of a firearm.

HAHAHAHA

I'm not comfortable with the LEO carrying openly because it reminds me of just how bad ALL of the LEO I have seen at the range in fact shoot.

I outshot a police firearms instructor with a Glock 26 and he was shooting a full-size .40 cal Glock.

:celebrate:lol:

hornett22

imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
openryan wrote:
seems semi-reasonable

Maybe so, Ryan.

TrueBrit.

AMEN!