• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Places to Open Carry

radwood

imported post

I thought it would be a good idea to make a list of locations in Arizona that we know either do or don't allow open carry, and list others that may or may not due to lacking signage. I hope we can all contribute to this and make a pretty good list. I'll update this post as you all contribute (if you do). Disclaimer: You can't sue me--period.

Greater Phoenix Area
+General Shopping
-
Basha's in Maricopa (WITH CCW PERMIT)
-Best Buy on 83rd and Bell Rd
-Best Buy on Rio Salado & McClintock

-Blockbuster Dobson & Guadalupe, Mesa
-Bookmans in Mesa
-CVS Pharmacy 99th Aveand Peoria

-Fry's Electronics in Tempe
-Fry's Marketplace in Maricopa
-
Harley Davidson of Chandler

-Home Depot at Crismon and the 60 in Mesa
-Levi's Store on Rio Salado & McClintock

-Petco Guadalupe & McClintock, Tempe
-Sam's Club on 83rd and Bell Rd
-
Sports Chalet on Rio Salado & McClintock

-Target on Frye and 101
-Target on Alma School and Southern
-
Walgreens Southern & McClintock, Tempe
-Wal-Mart on 79th and Peoria
-Zia Records on Chandler and Dobson
+Guns and Gear
-East Valley Uniform Shop
-Gilbert Gunworks on Gilbert and Juniper
-Sportsman's Warehouse in Mesa
-Sportsman's Warehouse in Goodyear

+Food + Drink
-Arby's on Warner and Arizona
-Cheeseburger Cheeseburger on Rio Salado & McClintock

-Coffee Rush on Ray and Dobson
-Coffee Rush on Gilbert and Baseline
-Fazolis on Warner and Arizona
+Gas
-
Arco AM/PM on Peoria and 91st Ave
-Chevron Broadway & McClintock, Tempe

-Mobil on Warner and Alma School
-QuikTrip on Warner and Arizona
+Malls
-Arizona Mills (Didn't see any signs where I went in the other night)
-
Arrowhead Mall on Bell Rd. in Glendale
-Chandler Fashion Center (Barnes and Nobles is unmarked, though)
-Fiesta Mall in Mesa
-West Gate Center in Glendale
+Parks
-
City of Peoria Parks

Tucson
+General Shopping
-
All Fry's stores ?
-All Safeways ?
+Guns and Gear
-Diamondback Police Supply
+Food + Drink
-Beyond Bread on Campbell in Tucson
+Gas
-

+Malls
-
+Parks
-City of Tucson Parks

KEY:
Open carry friendly/neutral
Open carry not allowed
Status Unknown

EDIT: Hey, sorry that I got behind on this list...this should be most of the updates

mzbk2l

imported post

Good thread. You want to just edit your list in the first post to include any additional info we have? I carried in the Home Depot at Crismon and the 60 in Mesa last week. Not only did I have no problems, but I received a positive comment from one of the employees.

radwood

imported post

Yeah, I'm just going to update it as people post information. At some point if it gets big enough, I may end up playing with some scripting and making an interactive search website. We'll see if I feel like doing that much work :p

LuvmyXD9

imported post

The only sign I ever saw at Chandler fashion center was the one on sears. Where are the others? I looked pretty hard at the entrance to the food court, and found nothing. Where did you see the signs elsewhere?

protector84

imported post

Is it just me or do people get a bit weirded out over OCing in a Starbucks? Ironically, I had a positive experience recently where one of the employees asked me if I was security and I just said a citizen. He then mentioned how he has been to the range a few times and was curious if I had joined a gun club. Pretty friendly but I really didn't want to talk too loud about it. I was going to ask one of the patrons to hold up their empty coffee cup to see how accurate I could shoot. :DJust kidding. Anyway, I've had some stares where they don't just stare and turn away. They end up gawking at you for an extended period of time to where I'm about to get up and say something.

I had a negative experience in a Starbucks one time. Perhaps it is not good to have an attitude while OCing but this idiot in front of me was seriously tying up the line by being a dumb dumb not knowing what the hell she wanted and then dumps the entire contents of her purse onto the counter in an attempt to locate which of the 500 credit cards she is going to use to pay for it. This stupid lady behind me kept noticing my irritated look as well as the gun I had on my hip. After 10 minutes of this idiocy, I ended up saying "Jesus Christ. For God's sakes" when the lady cancelled her order for the twentieth time to change her mind. Next I have this idiot behind me trying to calm me down and teaching me philosophy about patience. It is not like I was going to shoot it up if I didn't get my coffee. I think it is good to be polite whether carrying or not carrying but that is not always possible. Anyway, it seemed like the lady behind me literally got scared when I started showing an attitude while carrying. I value the mostly gun-friendly culture of Arizona but I don't like this Arizona mentality where you aren't supposed to confront people in public places. If this were New York City, people would have been screaming and cussing to get the line moving. But then I guess they wouldn't have had guns on them.

Another issue I have that is a tricky one that perhaps even lawyers would have to struggle with is carrying on the University of Arizona campus in Tucson. The campus has a policy that no firearms are allowed on the property and the campus police have arrested people for weapons violations but apparently those charges I heard often get thrown out. State law says that any public property that prohibits weapons must providetemporary and secure storage for the weapon upon entering the establishment. The U of A buildings do not provide that. They won't even let you carry a gun traveling through the campus grounds or even in your own vehicle on the campus. I don't think this is legal. I understand that if state buildings or property don't provide temporary and secure storage, that you get to carry anyway. Any thoughts?

Anyway, most places I OC at in Arizona either no one notices or they look at you funny. Everyone on the board here says be polite when carrying but that isn't always possible. I don't understand this Arizona mentality where you aren't supposed to confront people who are clearly being nuissances. If someone is staring at me for an extended period of time and doesn't look away when I clearly give them a look back, it only makes sense to ask them what the hell their problem is. Second, when someone is clearly tying up a line, I believe you should say something to them. People are already scared of guns (non-native Arizonans)as well as confrontations and are idiots most of the time. I'm wondering if anyone else here has had an issue where they were in a public place OCing and also got into a confrontation with someone, like "Excuse me, but there's a line here."

radwood

imported post

Notso wrote:
Not allowed at Frys Electronics.

Which Fry's Electronics did you go to? The one in Tempe or Phoenix?

And @ protector84:

It seems to me that universities probably do have to offer storage, although students are bound by the student code of conduct, so they're pretty much screwed anyway. That's the kind of convoluted mess of laws and contracts that I would look to a lawyer to explain.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Tempe store has been posted for as long as I've been going there(several years). It's not particularly easy to see, posted midway between the entrance and exit doors. I haven't been to thePhoenix store lately, so not sure about it.

jjsoonerfan

imported post

I just decided today (4-13-08)toopen carry after reading this interesting thread. I live in the west valley. Peoria, Sun City, Surprise area. Sportsman's Warehouse in Goodyear. Arco AM/PM on Peoria and 91st ave, and a brand new Wal-Mart on 79th and Peoria were no problem with open carry. In fact, I had a nice conversation with fella in the sporting goods department. I will continue to add to the list and hope others do the same. Also it would be GREAT if someone could start an interactive web page on this subject.

thanks, JJ............

jjsoonerfan

imported post

Thanks alot mzbk2l for the warm welcome. I have another addition to the list. Last night I visited West Gate Center in Glendale. It's a fairy new shopping andeating hangout located right next tothe new Arizona Cardinals football stadium.I go there quite frequently with laptop computer in tow. Free wireless internet is really hot there. Anyway, I found out from security and signs posted everywhere that it is illegal toOPEN CARRYor CCW with or without a permit. BUMMER.....

later, JJ...

dreamcro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Basha's grocery in Maricopa has a sign that states" Firearms prohibited on premises, except with a concealed weapons permit" I have a CCW and decided to OC to see what happens. Sure enough, I get an employee telling me I can't have my sidearm in the store. I told him what their sign said and showed him my CCW. He had to go out and look at it for himself. BWAHAHAHA! At Fry's grocery I OC all the time no problems.

jjsoonerfan

imported post

Good report about Basha's dreamcro. I am sheduled for the CCW class next month and can't wait. But for now finding where to open carry is an interest to me. I have a few more places here in the west valley to report.

Arrowhead Mall on Bell Rd. in Glendale - NO open carry or CCW

Best Buy and Sam's Club on 83rd and Bell Rd. -YESon all carry

later, JJ...

jjsoonerfan

imported post

City Of Peoria, AZ. Parks, Rules and Regulations. Clearly States On Entrance Signs That You May "ONLY" CCW With A Permit. No Open Carry.

CVS Pharmacy 99th Aveand Peoria - OK - Open Carry.

JJ...

Dahwg

imported post

I'll add my two cents for Tucson:

Fry's food stores all seem to be OK
Safeway, nothing posted anywhere, haven't had problems.
All city parks in Tucson CCW permit required.
Diamondback Police supply OK (of course you have to clear your weapon if you want to take it out of the holster).

jjsoonerfan

imported post

Here is a small list that I have compiled from all the posts here in this thread. All corrections and additions are encouraged.

[size=[font="Times New Roman"] ][/size]Open Carry Allowed[/font][/b]

[size=[font="Times New Roman"][/font]][/size][/b]

Bookmans in Mesa

Home Depot at Crismon and the 60 in Mesa

Target on Frye and 101
Target on Alma School and Southern

East Valley Uniform Shop
Gilbert Gunworks on Gilbert and Juniper
Sportsman's Warehouse in Mesa

Arby's on Warner and Arizona
Coffee Rush on Ray and Dobson
Fazolis on Warner and
Arizona

Mobil on Warner and Alma School
QuikTrip on Warner and Arizona

Home Depot

Starbucks

Sportsman's Warehouse

Arco AM/PM

Wal-Mart

Best Buy

Sam's Club

CVS Pharmacy

Fry's food

Safeway

Popeye's Fried Chicken

Del Taco

[size=[font="Times New Roman"]Conceal Carry Only ][/size](CCW)[/font][/b]

Basha's grocery

City Of Peoria Parks

Sports Authority

Tucson City Parks

Absolutely NO Weapons Allowed[/b]

Westgater Center (Glendale)

Shooter’s World – (must be unloaded and in a case

Thx, JJ...

mhemu

imported post

Decided to do my first open carry today. Was a little nervous, some of the looks I got were quite amusing.

Walgreens Southern & McClintock, Tempe: Thankfully out of the HS "safe zone", didn't have an issue. Several employees saw me armed, gave me a bit of a sour look, but none said or did anything. No noticable signs banning weapons

Chevron Broadway & McClintock, Tempe: No issues, if anyone noticed my weapon they didn't let on. No posted signs regarding weapons/firearms.

Petco Guadalupe & McClintock, Tempe: No issues. LOTS of bad looks from patrons (mostly older individuals) but employees either didn't notice or didn't care.

Blockbuster Dobson & Guadalupe, Mesa: Just outside the "safe zone" for Dobson HS (did it twice in my car to be sure). Store was basically empty. Employee that rang me up was a 20yr old kid who noticed it right away and while ringing me up asked "just out of curiosity, does your job require you to carry that?" (I actually work at the high school just down the road) and I replied "nope, I'm actually not allowed to carry a weapon even with a permit at my place of employment, I carry to exercise my rights and for safety". He was impressed and we talked a few minutes about guns and carrying. Once he turns 21 he said he was going to carry as well.

All in all, it went better than I expected. I haven't carried openly before since most of the places I frequent are either in school "safe zones" or on school grounds due to my job or coaching youth sports.

protector84

imported post

As to "school safe zones" as you put it, I personally ignore these. There was a federal law passed prohibiting firearms within 1,000 feet of a K-12 school. I believe that law was actually declared unconstitutional by the courts. Regardless, it is in Arizona's state Constitution that the right to bear arms will not be infringed. There is nothing in state law prohibiting a firearm within any number of feet from a school. The law only prohibits firearms on "school grounds." Legally, you can walk right next to Dobson high school with a gun as long as you are on the sidewalk (city property) and not in the parking lot for instance (school property). State law does allow you to also bring firearms onto school grounds with a certain exception--that it remains in the vehicle, is unloaded and out of sight. This is to protect parents who are picking up or dropping off their kids.

I was stopped by the cops one time when walking by a school. They told me about the federal law but had no intention of enforcing it. Again, state's rights. The sidewalks and streets going by schools are not federal property and I don't see how the feds have any jurisdiction over such nonsense. The cops on the streets are very unlikely to enforce such a law because they generally enforce local and state laws, not federal laws which are up to the feds to enforce. Unless you are worried about dealing with the ATF or the FBI for packing while walking down the street near a high school, I really wouldn't be concerned about it. I am not an attorney, so if you do want legal advice on the matter, I would contact one.