• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry Taco Bell Niles, Ohio

Bersa45

imported post

Tonight after my wife,son and I were done shopping we decided to get some tacos at Taco Bell in Niles, Ohio. I had been ccw all day with my jacket and my wife had hers in her purse. Well, when we went into Taco Bell it was so warm in there that I could not sit there anymore with my heavy leather coat on. I told my wife I have to take my coat off and she said no problem. We were sitting in the middle on some stools with others all around. After I was done, I went up and stood in line and ordered 2 more tacos:lol:. We sat there for about an hour while eating. I didn't notice anyone looking at me differently or starring. My wife didn't notice anybody starring either. I think people are getting use to people carrying or if your dressed nicely they don't think anything of it if your comfortable carrying openly. It has become very comfortable for me now.

Lthrnck

imported post

Well Bersa45 it's nice to hear you had a good experience.

Now I hope things are getting better, but most people don't notice you have a handgun on, because they are so caught up in their own little world they don't notice alot of things going on around them.

No don't take me wrong, but you need to be prepared for the time when someone who doesn't like the fact you are exercising your rights, to call the police and report a man with a gun.

So you need to read up on the Ohio Consitution Article 1, Section 4, ORC 9.68, andI suggests become familar with Klien vs Leis 2003, section 24 and 25 will be a good start. I would also recommend the purchase of a digital voice recorder.

There is still a long way to go before we can truly say Open Carry is accepted again. You just need to be prepared.

Bersa45

imported post

I think I'm prepaired for that situation, but will not know for sure until it happens. I have been reading up on everything I can about ccw and open carry for many years now. If I ever do get questioned or stopped like a man with gun felony stop, I would handle it with patience. I know the Leo will be thinking of his safety first. After all the dust settles eveything should be good and I can go on my way. This I am prepaired for and would not hold any bad feelings for leo if it went that way. We do have to take the good with the bad, but at the end of the day it should turn out ok.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I'm glad to heard you had a good experience! I OCed at a Taco Bell the other night, and it was very similar to what you posted. No one starring, no one fainted from fear... BTW, welcome to OCDO!

Bersa45

imported post

dngreer wrote:
I'm glad to heard you had a good experience! I OCed at a Taco Bell the other night, and it was very similar to what you posted. No one starring, no one fainted from fear... BTW, welcome to OCDO!
Thank you :D

jabeatty

Columbia Township (Cincinnati), Ohio, USA
imported post

Bersa45 wrote:
I think I'm prepaired for that situation, but will not know for sure until it happens. I have been reading up on everything I can about ccw and open carry for many years now. If I ever do get questioned or stopped like a man with gun felony stop, I would handle it with patience. I know the Leo will be thinking of his safety first. After all the dust settles eveything should be good and I can go on my way. This I am prepaired for and would not hold any bad feelings for leo if it went that way. We do have to take the good with the bad, but at the end of the day it should turn out ok.
I may be in the minority, but I think you should be prepared for the possibility/probability that things will not turn out well "at the end of the day."

For example:
  1. Your wife/significant other should have access to a reasonable amount of cash to bail you out, if necessary.
  2. She should also know the name and phone number of a good bail bondsman and your chosen attorney.
  3. You should have at least one "backup" firearm; if you're arrested, you probably won't see your primary piece for a long time.
  4. You should have an arrangement with a friend or family member to remove all firearms and ammunition from your home in the event that you are prohibited from possessing them (conviction on a felony count, court order, etc.).
  5. You should have a few month's salary in savings in case your employer considers your arrest to be worthy cause to terminate your employment.
  6. And so on...
All I'm saying is that given the state of the justice system here in Ohio, we aren't guaranteed that all will be well at the end of the day.

Bersa45

imported post

Sometimes you have to think outside of the box. I don't like to be boxed in. If you or I don't push the envelope then you might as well give in. I'm not a hell raiser or a rebel but sometimes you need to exercise your rights. A'm I right or wrong, I don't know:shock:

Lthrnck

imported post

Being prepared is something we all have to do today, wether we OC or CC.

I have found out that carrying the digital audio recorder is a very good thing do.

When I get done with the legal procedings with the City of Englewood on their unlawful stop of me in the city park. I will post the audio recordings, this device has really helped me in my case, against the city. They are still be hard headed about it, but they will back down again, once they get the lawsuit papers from the court.

Legba

imported post

I can guarantee that any recording of my last stop by the police would have been confiscated and destroyed, so I'm not sure that recording encounters is worthwhile unless you can do it surreptitiously - some kind of hidden dash-cam or something.

-ljp

Lthrnck

imported post

Some people have been talking about using a cell phone with remote recording capability.. I don't have that set up on my phone. Also not so sure a LEO would let you stand there and record if he knew he was on Candid Camera.. <G>