• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private transfers of guns

Thundar

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
The thread about the gun buy back got me to thinking. Imagine you buy a nice gun from someone and carry the gun. A few months to a year later, you're detained and the serial number on the gun is run. The gun comes back stolen. What are the ramifications?

- Is possession of a stolen gun prima facie evidence of theft? Is it a crime even if you didn't know?

- Does the state repossess the gun at that point?

There are many firearms that you can carry that do not have a SN. I have several. This is a good thing.

P.S. I am not talking about altering/defacing/etc, just older guns that were made without the numbers and an 80% gun that I finished.

LEO 229

imported post

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.R.1022:

Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007 (Introduced in House)

SEC. 6. REQUIRING BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR THE TRANSFER OF LAWFULLY POSSESSED SEMIAUTOMATIC ASSAULT WEAPONS.

• Section 922(v) of title 18, United States Code, as added by section 2(a) of this Act, is amended by adding at the end the following:

• `(5) It shall be unlawful for any person to transfer a semiautomatic assault weapon to which paragraph (1) does not apply, except through--

• `(A) a licensed dealer, and for purposes of subsection (t) in the case of such a transfer, the weapon shall be considered to be transferred from the business inventory of the licensed dealer and the dealer shall be considered to be the transferor; or

• `(B) a State or local law enforcement agency if the transfer is made in accordance with the procedures provided for in subsection (t) of this section and section 923(g).

• `(6) The Attorney General shall establish and maintain, in a timely manner, a record of the make, model, and date of manufacture of any semiautomatic assault weapon which the Attorney General is made aware has been used in relation to a crime under Federal or State law, and the nature and circumstances of the crime involved, including the outcome of relevant criminal investigations and proceedings. The Attorney General shall annually submit the record to the Congress and make the record available to the general public.'.

LEO 229

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Good thing there's no such thing as a semi-automatic assault weapon.

Too bad other people seem to think so.
I think they are going to identify semi auto "assault weapons" based on characteristics.

Basically anything that makes it scary....

• Folding stock
  • Flash hider
  • Bayonet lug
  • Barrel shroud
  • Pistol grip
I know that I had to prove I was a US citizen when I purchased my Rock River M4 last year.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I know that I had to prove I was a US citizen when I purchased my Rock River M4 last year.
A dumb VA code requirement that can be met by proof of perm. res. alien status as well. We need to repeal this section of VA law.

AbNo

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
AbNo wrote:
Good thing there's no such thing as a semi-automatic assault weapon.

Too bad other people seem to think so.
I think they are going to identify semi auto "assault weapons" based on characteristics.

Basically anything that makes it scary....

• Folding stock
  • Flash hider
  • Bayonet lug
  • Barrel shroud
  • Pistol grip

I took a barrel shroud to class a few weeks ago. Open carried it, too. :celebrate

LEO 229

imported post

Mike wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
A dumb VA code requirement that can be met by proof of perm. res. alien status as well. We need to repeal this section of VA law.
We actually agree on something.. Yaa!!!!

An assault rifle is no different in its ability to kill.

Flash hiders and bayonet lugs do not kill any more or any faster.