• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

*VIDEO* Romney clarifies gun position on Meet The Press

sjhipple

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I'm starting to thinkg that:
A Northeast Republican politician = a Heartland (barring IL and MI) moderate Democrat politician

Good observation.

This country is too big. It needs to broken into its component parts.

sjhipple

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
ama-gi wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
A Northeast Republican politician = a Heartland (barring IL and MI) moderate Democrat politician

Good observation.

Oh, you mean "states"? What are those?

Tommy-hawk, could you clarify your question? I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

**edit**

Are you perhaps pointing out that "states" would just be countries too? If so, I agree...but, because they're smaller, they'd get a government closer to what they want.

Tomahawk

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
ama-gi wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

Good observation.

Tommy-hawk, could you clarify your question? I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

**edit**

Are you perhaps pointing out that "states" would just be countries too? If so, I agree...but, because they're smaller, they'd get a government closer to what they want.

I was being sarcastic in referring to the fact that states' sovereign powers* have been diminished and usurped by various means since the Civil War to the point where soon we will have to rename the nation "The United State of America".

And the name isn't Tommy, it's Tom A.

IanB

imported post

Timmah!!!

south-park-20070306115011360.jpg

imperialism2024

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
ama-gi wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
ama-gi wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

Good observation.

**edit**

I was being sarcastic in referring to the fact that states' sovereign powers* have been diminished and usurped by various means since the Civil War to the point where soon we will have to rename the nation "The United State of America".

What's this "Civil War" of which you speak?

Do you mean the War of Northern Aggression? :p

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
ama-gi wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
ama-gi wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

Good observation.

**edit**

Maybe he meants The War for State's Rights

Tomahawk

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
ama-gi wrote:
Tomahawk wrote: I was being sarcastic in referring to the fact that states' sovereign powers* have been diminished and usurped by various means since the Civil War to the point where soon we will have to rename the nation "The United State of America".

Maybe he meants The War for State's Rights
Okay, well, this is a button for me. States do not have rights, they have powers authorized by their citizens through their constitutions. Part of the problem with discussing that particular period in history is that both sides get things wrong, both in facts and choice of words.

sjhipple

imported post

he can argue any side of a question. And sometimes you think he's like really believing his argument, but he's not.” -- Ann Romney, speaking about her husband

Thundar

imported post

Mitt was the driving force behind the supression of gun owners rights at the Winter Olympics. Ask Utah gun owners if they appreciated his efforts.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Thundar wrote:
Mitt was the driving force behind the supression of gun owners rights at the Winter Olympics. Ask Utah gun owners if they appreciated his efforts.
The only "event" that I attended was at the Budweiser "Beer Garden" at Gallavan Plaza. ;) I carried concealed back then, and did not go to any venues where we were disarmed. But I am sure there were plenty of upset Utahns that couldn't carry to the games!

louismacote

imported post

You know he is refering to any rifle that holds more than 10 rds, or has a detachable magazine/ .50cal rifles. HMMMM....... seems I remember a certain marine in a tower with a bolt action rifle proving that no weapon is more lethal than it's intention and its user.:banghead: What about oklahoma city? Anybody mentioning rednecks of "unusual lethality"? Is he going to outlaw us to? This is just politician talk for "get ready 'cause I am gonna squat all over your 2nd ammendment and say it is helping prevent crime and protect cops." Has anyone told him the primary firearm use in shooting cops is #1 their own gun, and #2 .38cal revolvers? Maybe we should take all the guns from cops, and outlaw .38cal revolvers!:what: After all, if we are gonna ride that donkey, let's ride him honestly!

sjhipple

imported post

[align=left]Finally found the exact quote of what Romney siad in the South Carolina debate.

Moderator: As governor you signed into law one of the toughest restrictions on assault weapons in the country.

Romney: Let's get the record straight. First of all, there's no question that I support 2nd Amendment rights, but I also support an assault weapon ban. Look, I've been governor in a pretty tough state. You've heard of blue states. In the toughest of blue states, I made the toughest decisions and did what was right for America. I have conservative values. [/align]

[align=center]
Source: 2007 Republican Debate in South Carolina May 15, 2007
[/align]
[align=left]
blahblah.gif
blahblah.gif
[/align]