• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Defending the "old coot"???

Would you contribute funds to defend the "old coot"?

• Yes, I would.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I would not.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PROUD American

imported post

I could not create a "poll" under the existing thread, so I had to make a new one...
I am just curious, how many people would or would not donate to a legal defense fund. A defense fund has not been created that I know of, AND hopefully he will NOT need one!!! In my mind he fulfilled one of the responsibilities of a good neighbor...

Elderly man shoots, kills suspected burglar

Web Posted: 10/02/2007 12:40 AM CDT

Karen Grace
KENS 5 Eyewitness News

An elderly man in La Vernia caught two burglars in the act, but they were no match for his trigger finger and his shotgun. One of the men is dead, and the other is behind bars.

"He's an old timer up there in the county and an old hunter," Wilson County Sheriff Joe Tackitt Jr. said.

And 83-year-old Raymond Bunte wasn't afraid to defend someone else's home.

"He didn't take any mess, I mean he meant business," Tackitt said.

Bunte heard suspicious noises next door on a rural road in La Vernia at about 2 p.m. Friday. He stumbled across a kicked in door and two thieves helping themselves to Dolores Hendershot's valuables. He blocked their exit and ordered the men out and on the ground. But 23-year-old Dustin Houston didn't get very far when he tried to flee.

"One of them for sure is never going to do another burglary," Tackitt said.

That's because Houston was shot dead through the windshield. Deputies say 24-year-old Steven Christopher Muniz then took off running. Texas Rangers tracked him down in San Antonio.

"If it's a matter of your life or someone else's life? You do what you have to do to protect yourself," Tackitt said.

It will be up to a grand jury to decide whether or not Bunte's actions were justified or if he will face charges.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA100207.suspectkilled.KENS.12d2804cc.html

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PROUD American wrote:
SNIP In my mind he fulfilled one of the responsibilities of a good neighbor...
I'm holding out for the rest of the story.

The media rarely tells us everything we need to know in order to make an accurate assessment.

There is a self-reported relative of the deceased posting on the other thread that he will try to get documents that would tend to raise a whole lot of questions.

tarzan1888

imported post

spurrit wrote:
According to Texas law, he was in the right, legally.

I agree with spurrit

And since this is true, he should need no defence fund.

If he did needsuch a fund and if everything is as has been reported, then I would contribute to such a fund.

Tarzan

imported post

The only defense fund THIS site should be concerned with is to defend someone who is arrested for openly carrying. This man, sad as it is, was not charged for openly carrying, but USING his weapon on his own property. I'll gladly donate monthly to a defense fund to defend persons charged as a result of exercising their right to open carry.