View Poll Results: Could a federal law prohibiting Right-To-Carry actually pass?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • A. Not a chance

15 40.54%
  • B. Possibly

15 40.54%
  • C. Yes

7 18.92%

Thread: What type of gun control will an anti-gun president try to pass?

Post imported post

Ok, I am by nature a paranoid person and to be honest, I'm quite afraid of what will happen to our gun rights if Clinton, Obama, or Edwards is elected president. I read somewhere that Clinton is against Right-To-Carry. Do you think she would try to pass a federal law prohibiting it? Or, for that matter, would Edwards or Obama try it? If so, do you think it would pass? What schemes do you think that an anti-gunner would try if elected president? Would the Supreme Court allow it?

Post imported post

I hear that, I'm paranoid as well because my gun rights are the discretion of the local police chief. I think that a democratic candiate might try to introduce legislation banning right to carry, but I hope that there are enough congressmen that are against it. I don't think the Supreme Court is much of an obstacle given their unwillingness to take a second amendment case for so long or to define what the second amendment actually means. The outcome of the current case before them may change my mind. In short I think a democrat or any of the republicans, except Ron Paul, running would be disastereous for freedom. Hiliary Clinton and Rudy Guiliani are basically the same dispite running for different parties.

Post imported post

I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
    Ok, I am by nature a paranoid person and to be honest, I'm quite afraid of what will happen to our gun rights if Clinton, Obama, or Edwards is elected president.
    How many guns do you have buried in your back yard?:shock:

The Federal ban would be on Federal Property. It would make it hard to carry. There would be ammo restrictions for transport, and high capacity bans or registration.

He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
    Ok, I am by nature a paranoid person and to be honest, I'm quite afraid of what will happen to our gun rights if Clinton, Obama, or Edwards is elected president.

The Federal ban would be on Federal Property. It would make it hard to carry. There would be ammo restrictions for transport, and high capacity bans or registration.

I have no guns buried in my backyard. What I'm asking is if you think the federal government would stick their nose where it doesnt belong and try to pass a federal law so that the states' Right-To-Carry laws would be null and void.

Post imported post

I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
    Thundar wrote:
    I_Hate_Illinois wrote:

I have no guns buried in my backyard. What I'm asking is if you think the federal government would stick their nose where it doesn't belong and try to pass a federal law so that the states' Right-To-Carry laws would be null and void.
    The buried guns question was my attempt at humor.

You have good reason to be afraid, very afraid.

The gun grabbers will use any excuse to make gun ownership and gun carry difficult or impossible. I predict that they will start their carry ban with all federal property.

He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
    Thundar wrote:
    I_Hate_Illinois wrote:

I have no guns buried in my backyard. What I'm asking is if you think the federal government would stick their nose where it doesn't belong and try to pass a federal law so that the states' Right-To-Carry laws would be null and void.
    The buried guns question was my attempt at humor.

You have good reason to be afraid, very afraid.

The gun grabbers will use any excuse to make gun ownership and gun carry difficult or impossible. I predict that they will start their carry ban with all federal property.
    Maybe I should some guns in my backyard in a lead lined case Honestly, however, I doubt that any president would be stupid enough to try to pass such a ban, that the Congress wouldn't let it happen, and if the worst happened, and they did, the Supreme Court would declare it null and void. I very firmly believe that next year, we will see the SCOTUS rule that the Second Amendment is an individual right and that not only will DC's handgun ban get tossed, so will Chicago's. If you get the chance, read the opinion of the judge on the appeals court when they upheld the lower court's ruling. The wording is magnificent. The anti's don't have a snowman's chance in hell.

Post imported post

IHI, someone else you need to be worried about taking your rights is Romney...Giuliani too. This isn't just a Democrat thing anymore.

I think the feds would focus on banning modern semi-automactic rifles before they tried to ban right to carry. I wouldn't put anything passed the feds though.

Post imported post

I hope and pray that your are right. Nothing would please me more than for the Supreme Court to finally return gun rights to DC and define the second amendment.

Post imported post

massltca wrote:
    I hope and pray that your are right. Nothing would please me more than for the Supreme Court to finally return gun rights to DC and define the second amendment.
    Yeah...while it won't happen in this case, in a future case, I'd love to see the Supremes say that all states must allow their citizens to carry (i.e., "Bear") arms...meaning Illinois, California and others that disallow it would be forced to respect their citizens' rights.

Post imported post

ama-gi wrote:
    IHI, someone else you need to be worried about taking your rights is Romney...Giuliani too. This isn't just a Democrat thing anymore.

I think the feds would focus on banning modern semi-automactic rifles before they tried to ban right to carry. I wouldn't put anything passed the feds though.
    Agreed.....I believe we would have another AWB, worse than the last one. This is why I'm looking into buying an AK now before this possibly comes to pass within the next couple years. HR 1022 scares me, and that is moving through the system NOW.......the tactics used by those who will take away the 2A are subtle and work by taking away our rights, little by little, so we won't notice until it is too late.

Today, it's our rifles, tomorrow, our right to own arms, period. Don't say it won't happen; look at England, Australia, etc.......

Post imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
    Don't say it won't happen; look at England, Australia, etc.......
    Exactly! Liberty requires eternal vigilance. Romney will take away your guns as fast as Hillary.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar

Post imported post

They will take the ammo before the guns.

Post imported post

ill carry with or without government approval....try to take it from me. Theres been too many shootings of random people lately by some crazy person with a good aim and an unarmed target rich environment. And guess what, all of the situations were resolved by blasting the gunman. So the government can try to tame a wolf but we will never become sheep.

Post imported post

Well, if Congress would vote along party lines for a ban on all firearms carrying, it would be possible. And seeing how selective SCOTUS is about examining issues, it would be quite some time, if ever, until such a law would be declared unconstitutional.

taurus9mm, I'd be careful about the things you post on the Internet regarding crimes you might intend to commit...

Post imported post

sorry im just really passionate about my right to carry.

Post imported post

It could pass, but I can see it being held up in court for a long, long time.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

What would an anti-gun, anti-constitutional prez do?

Simple: Anything they can get away with. That's the history. Only an explosive electorate has slowed them down to date. After all, BushII said he would sign the AWB if Congress simply renewed it...

Post imported post

bobcat wrote:

Simple: Anything they can get away with. That's the history. Only an explosive electorate has slowed them down to date. After all, BushII said he would sign the AWB if Congress simply renewed it...
    And now, the Bush Justice Department has stabbed us all in the back. Thanks, George.

Post imported post

Unless Ron Paul is elected I fear that we will see a gun ban in a flanking maneuver. Something along the lines of cooperation with the UN whereby bullets form an "environmental hazard" because of the lead and therefore will need to be taxed to some incredible degree. They won't repeal the second amendment, just make it almost impossible to afford to shoot. Or microstamping or a federal firearms owner tax (complete with defacto registration to track tax payers), or BATF becoming more draconian and closing more shops etc.

I can see something along those lines. Leave the second amendment in place but gut it some other way.

Post imported post

bobcat wrote:

Agreed. However, I would take this a step farther and ask:

What would any prez do?

"Simple: Anything they can get away with.That's the history." The place to watch is where the money is coming from. Watch who the major supporters of all the candidates are. That's usually the way that the president is going to sway.

Post imported post

Obama has already stated that he supports a federal ban on civilian concealed carry so that cat is out of the bag. I pretty much agree with No NAU as to how this is most likely to play out unless the citizens of this nation deicide soon to be citizens rather than subjects.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

State Researcher

Post imported post

Here is a start of the kind of gun control that the Dems are working on at this time.

HR 1022 The Assault Weapons Ban

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...bill=h110-1022

Post imported post

Oh wow, that link.... The list of weapons to ban is disturbing, it even includes the hi-point carbine (And the Kel-Tec Sub 2k)! A pistol caliber carbine. Wow.

(And the Mini-14...)

Also trying to bring back the 10rd mags

It shall be unlawful for any person to import or bring into the United States a large capacity ammunition feeding device