• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yet ANOTHER pro gun editorial in The Olympia

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It ran earlier in the Washington (DC) Times.

Great piece. I don't often agree with Cal Thomas, but he hit a home run on this one.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah, I know it's a newswire piece, but still very nice to see. So much for the "liberal" media...

You know, that is the most common complaint I hear from people "Oh, it's a liberal rag." IF they will actually take the time to talk to me, I find out they haven't read The Olympian in years, and years, and years, and are often basing their statements on the silliest things. One guy told me the paper is liberal because it lists the death toll in Iraq....

BigDaddy5

imported post

Unfortunately I would agree that most mainstream news is liberal. I say most, not all. For fun some days, I like to scan headlines of common mainstream news outlets: CBS, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, etc. I just like to compare the headlines, and if you look for the subtle twists each puts on the headlines, you can definitely find the bias. Since it's general consensus that Fox News is conservatively biased, I used that as my control group and from there just browse articles and headlines.

CNN, and CBS are usually pretty good about jumping to conclusions when it comes to shootings, generally an AK-47 was used. No matter if it's been announced or not, they usually report that. I've seen at least 3 different shootings where one was used: Nebraska (I think it turned out to be an SKS...so forgiveable), Colorado, and Virginia Tech (neither had anything near an AK involved). Fox News didn't report the firearms types until much later.

In my opinion, reporting something like that is designed to create fear and "rally the troops" behind the idea that "assault" rifles are evil.

I checked the headlines today about some key states backing certain presidential candidates. One headline (MSNBC) read: "Key states back McCain, split on Obama and Clinton," while CNN ran it like this: "Key states back McCain, Obama and Clinton." It's subtle, but I think in doing that they are trying to muddy the waters and create the idea that these states are supporting democrats more than republicans.

Again, I don't think all media is like that, obviously, but for the most part mainstream media, I believe, is.

And I don't sway too hard either way, so it doesn't always bother me, I just pick up on it, and because of that, I tend to distrust most media outlets, no matter which way they lean.

Some of my local newspapers out here in Eastern WA, I believe are further right-leaning, but it doesn't make them any more accurate.
sv_libertarian wrote:
Yeah, I know it's a newswire piece, but still very nice to see. So much for the "liberal" media...

You know, that is the most common complaint I hear from people "Oh, it's a liberal rag." IF they will actually take the time to talk to me, I find out they haven't read The Olympian in years, and years, and years, and are often basing their statements on the silliest things. One guy told me the paper is liberal because it lists the death toll in Iraq....