• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is this worth trying to get an AG opinion?

Is this worth trying to get an AG opinion or would it be a waste of time?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dclabounty

imported post

Originally posted in the Oklahoma Forum but no one's in there :)

I've just started OCing and not looking forward to not being able to when I go back home to Oklahoma. (stationed in AZ).

On OCDO's frontpage Oklahoma is listed as a non-permisive state (which I agree it is). But I've been looking over OK's statutes and found something:

CONDITIONS UNDER WHICH FIREARMS MAY BE CARRIED

A. A person shall be permitted to carry loaded or unloaded shotguns, rifles and pistols, open and not concealed, and without a handgun license as authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 25 of this act, pursuant to the following conditions

1. When hunting animals or fowl;

2. During competition in or practicing in a safety or hunter safety class, target shooting, skeet, trap or other recognized sporting events;

3. During participation in or in preparation for a military function of the state military forces to be defined as the Oklahoma Army or Air National Guard, Federal Military Reserve and active military forces;

4. During participation in or in preparation for a recognized police function of either a municipal, county or state government as functioning police officials;

5. During a practice for or a performance for entertainment purposes; or

6. For any legitimate purpose not in violation of the Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971, Sections 1289.1 through 1289.17 of this title or any legislative enactment regarding the use, ownership and control of firearms (emphasis added)
http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2007.pdf (whole thing)

Now my personal opinion (and I'm sure others on this forum) is that myself and family's personal protection is a legitimate purpose. I really don't have much experience with this sort of thing and was wondering if anyone that does thinks it would be worth contacting my Rep and trying to get an AG opinion on this. Do I think if I he would even issue an opinion he would agree with me? Not really. But as it is it's not like OC is accepted at all in the state and it would hurt any. Either he say's no and I haven't lost a thing accept some time or he say's it legitimate and OK move's to either licensed or anomalous status.

Superlite27

imported post

5. During a practice for or a performance for entertainment purposes; or

If an officer detains you for questioning, you could just do a little dance and start singing.

That would be a performance for entertainment puroses, right? Nowhere does the law read "PROFESSIONAL PERFORMANCE".

A performance is a performance. The law doesn't state what manner of performance. As long as it's purpose is to entertain, you can carry a gun.

Heck, you don't even need to perform. Just tell him you are practicing.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Hopefully the AG's office will give you an opinion. But if the AG out there is anything like Ohio's, you get a response similar to this:

"Questions to the AG must be submitted by state senators, representatives, and other government officials. The AG does not give interpretations of the law to citizens."

In other words, the AG would be telling you to pay a lawyer to tell you what he thinks.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

dngreer wrote:
Hopefully the AG's office will give you an opinion. But if the AG out there is anything like Ohio's, you get a response similar to this:

"Questions to the AG must be submitted by state senators, representatives, and other government officials. The AG does not give interpretations of the law to citizens."

In other words, the AG would be telling you to pay a lawyer to tell you what he thinks.
I suspect thats exactly what you will get. The AG is the lawyer for the state, not for any individual citizen. If you truly want an AG opinion, a state legislator might well be able to get one for you.

DeltaII5

imported post

Write a letter, I do it all the time. Hell, last week I sent a letter to the FL AG. Not going to know if you don't try.

I like the dancing idea. Or carry juggling balls.