• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Dinner in Oly

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I'd like to thank everyone who showed up for dinner. MUCH larger crowd than I expected!!!:celebrate

Someone suggested name tags for future get togethers. If crowds like this keep happening, probaly a good thing! Is it time to start having North Sound/South Sound get togethers?

Just for grins, since I failed to get an accurate head count, is it possible for a roll call? Best guess was 20 law abiding citizens who caused no "alarm"

Again, I really appreciate everyone showing up, the support was a real nice "shot in the arm" I work Sat and Sun so will rarely be able to make other meetings, but if anyone ever wants a monday or tuesday get together, I'm game for that.

Steve

steelcoreap

imported post

Thanks steve for setting this up on such short notice. I was really glad I came, and amazed at the turn out. For those that I told my screen name was KCDrake, I was obviously wrong and forgot what I singed up as.

On a little side note, when I left there were two guys standing outside smoking and talking. When I walked by them, their conversation stopped and one of them said "Look that dude has a gun!" and they both went silent and stared at me as I walked to my 4runner. I almost wanted to tell them to go inside and see the 10+ other people with guns. Oh well.

Thanks again to everyone who showed up. Look forward to seeing you again.

Kevin

Machoduck

imported post

Great get together Steve! Thanks for the planning and such. Mrs. Duck and I count 19 attendees, including wives and MILs and Drew, of course. He was a nice surprise guest with some thought provoking views. I think we're all looking forward to our next meeting.

G27

imported post

Blah. I wish I could have made it. I usually have every Sunday off except for this one. I am glad you guys made it out alive in Olympia and didn't have any mass disarmings and arrests! :celebrate Seriously though, good job. And again, why doesn't anyone ever bring a camera?!

Dave The Welder

imported post

Count me in on the head count Steve. G27, sorry you couldn't make it, I was looking forward to meeting you. I'll see you in Pullman after the holidays. Kevin, that was pretty funny that you had seen me in Pullman OCing and we ended up meeting all the way across the state in Olympia. It's late and I just got home and am tired from the drive but tomorrow (really just later today I guess) I'll post the story about Kevin and I running into each other in Pullman and not even knowing it (unless you want to beat me to it Kevin and tell the story yourself). It's pretty funny. Thanks again everybody.

just_a_car

imported post

I offered to run out to my car to get my camera, but no one seemed to be all that excited about that suggestion so I didn't.

I'm estimating around 19-22 headcount of OC'ers and their guests. Plus, some HUGE pizzas for cheap!

Great little "dive" to get a slice if ever you're in Oly-land.

G27

imported post

Dave, sorry I couldn't make it. I saw you had called me once I got off work and figured you'd already be back towards home by then. I still live quite a bit aways from Oly, anyway. But I will be out in Pullman this time next month. As much as I love OC'in in Washington, Idaho is so carefree and fun to. So I guess we'll have to have a dinner at Wingers in Moscow. :)

-Dave

larz

imported post

I wish I could have made it, but for the past 8 months or so I've been getting off at 9am on Saturdays so I would just be out of it like the meetings I have been to. Sounds like you guys had a great turnout though. Maybe next month :)

Wheelgunner

imported post

Good Fun all the way around. Met some chaps and learned some stuff. Spent more time jawing about gun laws and pizza than I have in a long time. How about a monthly get together?

compmanio365

imported post

Wheelgunner wrote:
Good Fun all the way around. Met some chaps and learned some stuff. Spent more time jawing about gun laws and pizza than I have in a long time. How about a monthly get together?
Well, that was the original idea a while back, this was just a special occasion due to SV_lib's predicament with OPD. I believe it's the third Sunday of every month, seems to work out best for everyone.

joeroket

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Wheelgunner wrote:
Well, that was the original idea a while back, this was just a special occasion due to SV_lib's predicament with OPD. I believe it's the third Sunday of every month, seems to work out best for everyone.
Yesterday was the third Sunday of Dec.

I'm thinking we need to have an online calendar so the meetings can be decided a few months in advance and posted for everyone to see. We have a calendar at NWCDL that can be used for it, it is built into the forums.

I think if we alternated north/south meetings monthly it will give more people a chance to show.

http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=calendar

Whadaya guys think?

joshmmm

imported post

I think that we need to have dinners in the Seattle/Bellevue area also. It seems like we only have dinners significantly north or south.

I wish I could have made it last night, but I am still pulling an all nighter in the midst of finals right now (law school is so much fun this time of year!).

BluesBear

imported post

I really wish we could have made it. I know our GTG are supposed to be the 3rd Sunday of each month but could we maybe plan all of the details a little earlier?

Perhaps have an informal "committee" of arrangers that scouts out locations in advance? Maybe we could then post the details weeks or even months in advance? I know it would help me plan my weekends.

I'd be more than happy in helping any way I can for any GTG from Lynnwoodto Arlington to Monroe.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Great git together. It was fun putting faces to names. I counted 22 attendees at one time but there could have easily been more. I also noticed a couple of OCrs educating some other customers. Good job guys.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'd also like to thank Steve for setting this up, the OPD for the inspiration, and all the regular contributors I met last night for weeks of entrtainment and education.
I truly appreciate the solid information and (mostly) sober, reasoned responses seen on this forum. In fact, my confidence that Lonnie and the gang will ride to the rescue of an errant thread has allowed me to lurk with impunity.
I think maybe that's been a disservice to this community - not that my opinion is of value but by suppressing the fact that there's more support out there than you realized.
I'll try to be a bit more vocal, and OC more.

To all who have taken the effort to make a thoughtful post, provided a legal reference, or OC'd in a safe manner: I salute you.

Jim
launch.png
launch.png

cato

imported post

Jim675 wrote:
I'd also like to thank... the OPD for the inspiration,

LOL :lol:carry on! and welcome!

photo by Oleg Volk:

Attachments

• s_protects.jpg
    s_protects.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 215

Dave The Welder

imported post

Okay, here's the story behind Kevin (stealcoreap) and I meeting before and not even knowing it. During the dinner it came up that I went to WSU and kevin told me that he also went to WSU and had in fact seen an OCer a few months before at the Old European Restaurant in Pullman. He didn't have a chance to talk with the OCer as the guy was leaving when Kevin noticed him but he remembered that the OCer was wearing a 1911 in an OD SERPA holster. At this point in the story, I stood up and pointed to my sidearm and said, "Did it look like this 1911 in this OD SERPA holster?" Funny how we run into each other and don't even realize it. Welcome aboard Kevin. We'll have to meet for an OC lunch after the holidays once we're both back up on campus.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Dave, that was HILARIOUS. What a good time.

That night I had a chance to talk to two different non-carrying parties. One guy was with his wife and 2 or3 kids waiting for their carry-out order to be ready, and Jim and I talked to him for a couple minutes. He was more closed-minded to the idea than I would have hoped, but he wasn't able to come up with anything I didn't have a good explaination for. When I compared the firearm to any other "tool" his wife was like "but other tools aren't meant specifically to KILL someone!!!" I could tell that I wasn't going to get anywhere with her. I answered all of his questions, and told him about the site, but I doubt he'll ever turn the corner on his views, especially with a wife as opposed as she was. When his order came up, I introduced myself and told him that I enjoyed talking to him, and shook his hand before he left.

Second instance was a family that had lived in Phoenix and were familiar w/OC from that. They just didn't know that it was legal here as well. They seemed to have a much higher approval rate of what we were standing for and doing.

This was the first time I had to answer questions about OC from someone in public, and I think it went pretty well. I liked the idea of having more knowledgeable people in the room to back me up if the need arose, but it never did. I feel like I'm ready for anything, maybe even an LE encounter.

(On a sidenote, I have gone to two different Safeways, a Walgreens and a Target, all in Tacoma, in the past couple of days and no one cared. If you come across like you know what you are doing, and have some confidence about it, then people just assume that it's nothing to "warrant alarm" and they don't seem to care. But that's only the 5% or so that actually NOTICE that I'm carrying.)

---Jeff

Machoduck

imported post

"but other tools aren't meant specifically to KILL someone!!!"

The B-2 bomber is like that. Look at what it did; it helped end the cold war because of its deterrent capabilities. If a goblin attacks you, you don't lower yourself to his level by defending yourself. Self defense is something entirely different from attack on all levels; legal, moral, philsophical, and practical. Not that anything I'm saying would have helped, in all probability. A closed mind gathers no facts.

I think this woman's view started with the concept that both parties in a fight share the same guilt, which view stems from laziness in determining the facts, such as who started it, etc.. The concept also allows one to avoid making a judgement. After all, we wouldn't want to be judgemental, now would we? And yet she was being judgemental about us.

I wonder what she thinks of the cops carrying tools with only one purpose; to kill?