• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

9mm vs 40 vs 45

XD40coyote

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
If your ever in NoVA, stop by and take a turn:D.
BYOA;)

Where's Centreville?

I used to go to NoVA but stopped being friends with the guy who did the driving. He keeps trying to get me to talk to him again ( after like 3 years), but I refuse. He was too controlling and had f-up moments too often . Too far a drive for me to do solo, I just can't handle more than 30 min drives, nor does me driving on 495 on the DC loop seem in any way apealing. It stunk enough when he was driving, all that crazy traffic.

Now if this idiot had not been such an idiot, he could still be taking me places and I'd make him endure open carry dinners LOL

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Got the Corbon/Glaser catalog in the mail today...

Corbon Traditional JHP
----------------------------
9mm Luger +P 115g JHP 1350fps/466ftlbs
90g JHP 1500fps/450ftlbs
125g JHP 1250fps/434ftlbs
.40 SW 150g JHP 1200fps/480ftlbs
165g JHP 1150fps/485ftlbs
135g JHP 1325fps/526ftlbs
.45 Auto +P 200g JHP 1050fps/490ftlbs
165g JHP 1250fps/573ftlbs
185g JHP 1150fps/543ftlbs
230g JHP 950fps/461ftlbs

The .45 had a 5in bbl, 40 and 9 had a 4in bbl.

tarzan1888

imported post

hlh wrote:
I have an XD9SC, a XD45C, and a colt 1911 in 45. The XD45 has noticably more recoil than the XD9, but not as much as the 45 Colt. Because ofless recoilwith the XD9 I can makequicker followup shots.

And you will need to. :)

Tarzan

imperialism2024

imported post

Personally, I don't really notice recoil in .40 or .45, but I'm a rather large fellow who likes big guns. That becomes a problem, though, with training new shooters. Nonetheless, for the two of my friends who had never shot a gun before, not even a .22, and who are considerably smaller than me, the .44 magnum revolver I started them with didn't upset them terribly, and neither thought that the recoil from a .30-06 rifle was that bad. So I'm convinced that it really comes down to mindset (and proper shooting stance) in terms of managing recoil.

As for being able to stay on target... well, I think that moreso depends on the gun itself, including porting and such.

lostone1413

imported post

hlh wrote:
I have an XD9SC, a XD45C, and a colt 1911 in 45. The XD45 has noticably more recoil than the XD9, but not as much as the 45 Colt. Because ofless recoilwith the XD9 I can makequicker followup shots.
BINGO!! If you want to survive a gunfight you must put as many rounds as fast as you can on target. Most like to talk about shooting a tight group at say 25yards. Shooting a tight group has nothing to do with surviving a gunfight. Close to 90% of the gunfights in the real world happen in 10FEET or less. The majority happen within 5 FEET.

Shoot your tight groups to feed ego. Do one handed point shooting starting as soon as the gun clears the holster to save your life.

The size of the caliber is meaning less. The one shot kill is only on TV. You want a gun that you can put if need be the whole mag in someone in a matter of a couple sec. Me I carry the 9mm I have three 45acp but the gun I can shoot the fastest is the 9mm.

lostone1413

imported post

Let me add if you think it is easy to hit someone at that close range get your partner and a couple airsofts and do some FOF. It is easy to hit a target when it is still. With FOF you will see it is WAY different to hit something that is hell bent on shooting you.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Radisma wrote:
So my question is is a 45 going to kick alot more than a 9mm or would i not notice much of a difference.

Same question for a .40
I never really noted a lot of difference between the 3 beyond a "snappiness" issue until I took an advanced low light class. I shot both my Sig P228 and XD 45, 4". We were using hand held lights and were primarily shooting 5-7 yds aimed shots. One handed point shooting I had not noticed a huge difference, but one handed aimed shooting side by side, cross wristed with a light - huge difference between the .45 and 9mm. Way more muzzle rise and recoil with the XD .45, much harder to control both the light and the pistol. Frankly, if I am using a hand held light I would much rather be shooting my Sig even though it is a smaller round with the same mag capacity. Shooting normal 2 hand shooting though or point shooting, I still don't notice an appreciable difference that can't be easily overcome with technique.

Now, that being said, that is comparing 2 specific weapons side by side and I have not tried it with other makes/models. The P228 and XD, while both combat handguns, are very different in many ways, especially in balance which probably plays a role. I've never really analyzed it much or tried the comparison again. Next time I make it to the range I'll try it out again and think about it more.

AbNo

imported post

Well, personally, I carry .40 in an XD, and .45 in a 1911, but I also use a 9mm M9 clone at the range (Taurus PT92 AF).

Between them all, I'd say the 9mm is the easiest, the .40's the roughest, but the .45 is the heaviest.

The reason I say roughest and heaviest is because the .40 hits more abruptly, though not as strong as the .45, which is... more rounded and easy to ride out.

I'm happy with any of them, though.

Oh, and PA-63's, with 9x18mm rounds hurt, lots. :p

Eeyore

imported post

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as just the caliber. The perceived recoil will vary for one gun to another even within the same caliber, due to grip shape/size/angle, muzzle axis, gun weight, etc. When I was comparison shooting(all in 9mm), there were definite differences in the recoil characteristics. For example:

Glock: big snap in web of thumb, lots of muzzle flip. Yuck. :X

Steyr: almost no flip, more of a quick nudge in the heel of the hand and on base joint of thumb. Better, but not great:?

XD, Ruger P89, Beretta 92: minimal flip, light snap in palm. :)

Beretta PX4: minimal flip, snap in palm and on the base joint of my thumb (got painful after a few mags) :X

PT111: light snap in palm, moderatemuzzle flip :)

sailarmy

imported post

I am about the same build as you (6ft 145lbs) and all i have had the pleasure of shooting is 9mm but i like it because it is lighter weight for more ammo i have a XD9 and i have a friend with the XD45 and my 9mm is lighter with more ammo so i would say shoot what you are comforatble with.