• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bad information leads police to wrong house; bullets fly

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
The term comes from the fact that some ranges used and maybe still use a red cloth flag instead of the red metal disk currently used. Waving the red flag in front of the target indicates a miss. You figure the rest out.
Yes! I remember, now. Thank you. I had forgotten the disk was red.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Citizen wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
SNIP She and Khang showed reporters five broken windows and 22 bullet holes.

A good dose of derisive laughter is in order. :lol:

OK. All USMC forum members, on three...

One. Two. Three. MAGGIE'S DRAWERS! (the term for a complete miss, signified by the person marking the target, wavingamarker back and forth in front of the target. I don't recall the history or tradition of the term.)
Target 23 you shot on Target 24! Target 15 YOU shot the BERRMM!!!! :celebrate

Tomahawk

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
The term comes from the fact that some ranges used and maybe still use a red cloth flag instead of the red metal disk currently used. Waving the red flag in front of the target indicates a miss. You figure the rest out.
Yes! I remember, now. Thank you. I had forgotten the disk was red.

An interesting footnote in slang English history concerning maggie's drawers and disks: In 1990 when I was on active duty, it was common in my squadron to bust somebody's stones by saying "Disk that man a miss!" whenever somebody said something stupid or made a wrong guess. It was, of course, a reference to marking a miss on the rifle range using the red metal disk, in which you wave the disk in front of the target.

This soon got morphed into expressions like "Man, there's some serious diskin' goin' on there!" and the like. If a Marine were to get the brush-off from a girl he's hitting on, for instance, we would say she was "diskin' him", short for "disked him a miss".

Around that time, the common slang verb "to dis", short for the slang verb "to disrespect", which means "to show disrespect towards", became common to use in street language, and most folks today have used the term. I think Bill Clinton, in his efforts to gutterize the office, even used it.

I got the two terms confused at first because "disk" and "dis" sound the same when spoken fast, and here I was wondering where all these civilians were getting this rifle range lingo from...

Anyway, back on topic: it disgusts me to ses that they are considering charging this man, but I guess they have to remind the public what happens when you disk your masters.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
SNIP but I guess they have to remind the public what happens when you disk your masters.

Especially when you yourself getseveral in the 8 and 9 rings.

No doubt, some of those shooter boys are feeling humiliated.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

December 21, 2007 1:44 PM ET
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - A search warrant that led police to raid the wrong house shows that officers were investigating a domestic assault case and thought they'd find multiple guns hidden in the north Minneapolis house.
A woman told police her boyfriend threatened her life and pointed a gun at her at 1321 Logan Avenue North. But when a SWAT team raided the home Sunday, they found Vang Khang, his wife and six children.
Khang fired shots at the officers, who fired back. No one was injured.
The search warrant filed in Hennepin County says the woman told police they would find handguns in the rafters in the basement. The woman also told police her boyfriend was a member of the Rolling 60's street gang.
The names of the suspect and the woman were blacked out in the search warrant.

nitrovic

imported post

thorsmitersaw wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:
Bet they're glad it was a shotgun and not an AR or AK.......

I am not glad for it at all...
That is a disgusting post. You're "not glad" that two police officers weren't killed. If this isn't a dangerous extremist view I don't know what is. That is probably the most disturbing thing I have come across on this site (and I've seen a lot of disturbing things).

nitrovic

imported post

iAbNo wrote:
Uh, Nitro, I think he means the situation as a whole.
It doesn't come off that way at all. I didn't take only a small part of the post he was responding to. It seemed pretty straight forward.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

nitrovic wrote:
iAbNo wrote:
It doesn't come off that way at all. I didn't take only a small part of the post he was responding to. It seemed pretty straight forward.
Uh I'm gonna add another vote for he meant the situation sucked, period. Calm down nitro...go yell at some anti's, it will make you feel better.

nitrovic

imported post

DreQo wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
iAbNo wrote:
Uh I'm gonna add another vote for he meant the situation sucked, period. Calm down nitro...go yell at some anti's, it will make you feel better.
It's pretty easy finding "anti's" here actually-

thorsmitersaw wrote:
I do not know what a FOID is but I can say that I am not surprised at all to learn the governments goons are up to their same old tricks of fraud and theft.
thorsmitersaw wrote:
expvideo wrote:
There was a time when there were no guns. The strong overpowered the weak, women were raped by men, and children were murdered along with the rest of the family because they were the wrong religion or race.

With the presence of guns, everyone has the same ability to enjoy their lives and live as they wish without fear of the above things.
to the point in bold: not when its a bunch of gestapo kicking in your door at 1:00am searching for things at the wrong house or there to drag you away for a crime that shoudlnt even BE a crime...

then you are outgunned, outnumbered, and left to the mercy of the devils in blue.

thorsmitersaw wrote:
hinch wrote:
which argued that “a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen.”

Excuse me?
All governments area illusion. They want you to view them as legitimate voluntary agreements, some sort of contractual agency. In reality... they are thugs. For if they WERE the above things (voluntary, contractual, legitimate) they would be a business and NOT called a governing body.
I could go on and on and on and on.... Very disturbing.

bohdi

imported post

It's disturbing that your taking things out of context to spin them and paint a picture that isn't there. If your so convinced that this is what you think it is, start a thread under the general section and start ranting about it. There are many people here who are looking at todays world and events through a very different set of eyes who are questioning what's going on around them. That's wrong?

ufcfanvt

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
thorsmitersaw wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:

That is a disgusting post. You're "not glad" that two police officers weren't killed. If this isn't a dangerous extremist view I don't know what is. That is probably the most disturbing thing I have come across on this site (and I've seen a lot of disturbing things).
No one here wants to see cops killed and you know it!
A few questions:
Is it at all disgusting that this guy's home and family were invaded violently by police who are meant to protect us?
Is it disgusting that obviously ZERO intel was put into this raid?
Is it disgusting that this will continue to happen because there will continue to be no consequences for the officers responsible for this and other home invasions and assaults?
If one of these cops had died as a result of this illegal act, whose fault would it be?

bohdi

imported post

ufcfanvt - good points.

Now what you've said isn't LEO bashing, it's procedural flaws. Someone didn't double and triple check their information. That NEVER leads to fatalities else where in the world does it? That trait isn't limited to law enforcement and the military, pick an occupation and mistakes have happened because people had the wrong information. Unfortunately that can lead to injury and death, in this instance it just happens to involve LEO's, who just happened to get the wrong information. Or did they get the right information and accidentally get the house number wrong at the last second. You know, they got the right street, they got the right block, they are parked out in front of the right house, and go up the wrong stairs to the left of where they are parked instead of straight forward?Anyway you color it, it was a mistake.They could have been told to go straight and gone left because that's what they thought they heard.

ufcfanvt

imported post

bohdi wrote:
ufcfanvt - good points.

Now what you've said isn't LEO bashing, it's procedural flaws. Someone didn't double and triple check their information. That NEVER leads to fatalities else where in the world does it? That trait isn't limited to law enforcement and the military, pick an occupation and mistakes have happened because people had the wrong information. Unfortunately that can lead to injury and death, in this instance it just happens to involve LEO's, who just happened to get the wrong information. Or did they get the right information and accidentally get the house number wrong at the last second. You know, they got the right street, they got the right block, they are parked out in front of the right house, and go up the wrong stairs to the left of where they are parked instead of straight forward?Anyway you color it, it was a mistake.They could have been told to go straight and gone left because that's what they thought they heard.
Sorry Bohdi, I can't buy it.
When they come heavy like that, they are able and always should do a prep discussion against the house that includes looking at the blue prints and pictures of the outside.
Getting the wrong house is a mistake of unforgiveable incompetence and someones proverbial head should roll for it in order to prevent a human head rolling into a 6-ft pit.

bohdi

imported post

ufcfanvt - I whole heartedly agree that someone's head ought to roll, please don't think I am stating otherwise. There are probably 5 or 6 heads that ought to roll.....All I was pointing out that this type of mistake wasn't limited to the particular occupation. The execution of the operation was flawed, the question is, why? Where was the break down and what's preventing it from happening again?

nitrovic

imported post

bohdi wrote:
ufcfanvt - I whole heartedly agree that someone's head ought to roll, please don't think I am stating otherwise. There are probably 5 or 6 heads that ought to roll.....All I was pointing out that this type of mistake wasn't limited to the particular occupation. The execution of the operation was flawed, the question is, why? Where was the break down and what's preventing it from happening again?
It appears they relied to heavily on the Informants statement and intel. My guess is they were rushed and didn't do their homework on the house. For the large number of tactical entries that happens everyday there is a very small number of ones that go wrong like this one. I would imagine somebody will at the very least be taken out of their SWAT positions and a couple of the supervisors will roll.

nitrovic

imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
thorsmitersaw wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:

No one here wants to see cops killed and you know it!
A few questions:
Is it at all disgusting that this guy's home and family were invaded violently by police who are meant to protect us?
Is it disgusting that obviously ZERO intel was put into this raid?
Is it disgusting that this will continue to happen because there will continue to be no consequences for the officers responsible for this and other home invasions and assaults?
If one of these cops had died as a result of this illegal act, whose fault would it be?

The post above speaks for itself. The poster obiously menat that he was NOT glad that the shooter had a shotgun rather than a AK or AR. It says it right in the post.

Moving on, tactical entries are a necessary evil in today's policing. I hated doing them and not many others working with us enjoyed it either. In this instance there was obviously a HUGE breakdown and failure on the part of the police. The house owner had every right to protect his family.