• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bad information leads police to wrong house; bullets fly

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.startribune.com/local/12552126.html

Police blamed bad information for sending a SWAT team into a north Minneapolis house early Sunday morning in a raid that ended with shots exchanged between police -- who were struck by bullets -- and the resident, who said he was just defending his family.

The homeowner, who does not speak English, told his brother that he thought the police were the "bad guys" after they broke through the back door of the house, where he lives with his wife and six children. He fired and hit two police officers, who were not injured thanks to their bullet-proof vests and helmets, police said in a statement.

The Police Department's SWAT team was trying to search the two-story house at 12:46 a.m. in the 1300 block of Logan Avenue N., as part of an investigation by the Violent Offender Task Force. But police said that they learned later that bad information led them to that house.

"It was found out that this particular address was not part of that long-term investigation," police spokesman Sgt. Jesse Garcia III told KSTP-TV on Sunday. He told KMSP-TV that it was a "bad situation."

"It could have been much worse," Garcia added.

Dao Khang, who is the brother of the homeowner, Vang Khang, said his brother feared for his safety. "He took out his shotgun and he said if they are bad guys I'll shoot, I'll scare them away," Khang said. "He fired first, he told me it was two shots."
Vang Khang was taken into custody but later released. Dao Khang said his brother has been in contact with a lawyer and is considering legal action.

Khang and his children, who range in age from 3 to 15, were shaken, Dao Khang said. "All these gunshots in the house. They don't know what's going on. Flying bullets in the house and they just cried," he said.

Garcia told KMSP that police grabbed the family's children and shielded them during the incident.

Garcia did not return repeated calls from the Star Tribune on Sunday. Questions about the shooting on Sunday night were referred to Lt. Amelia Huffman, head of the homicide unit, who also did not return calls.

No one answered the front door at the house on Sunday night.

In a statement released shortly after 5 a.m. Sunday, police said that officers found no one on the first floor of the house. When they made their way up to the second floor, they were confronted by an adult male. The officers identified themselves as police, and the man fired several rounds at them. Several officers returned fire, but no one in the house was injured.

Investigations by the Minneapolis Police Department's homicide and internal affairs units are underway. According to standard department procedures, the officers involved have been placed on paid administrative leave during the initial investigation.

The names of the officers were not immediately available.
Patrick Kennedy • 612-673-7926

Deanimator

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
Bet they're glad it was a shotgun and not an AR or AK.......

To paraphrase Foghorn Leghorn, "Fortunately, I keep an M1 Garand for just such an occasion."

At my place, getting the address wrong on a no-knock is a strict liability offense...

Sage of Seattle

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
http://www.startribune.com/local/12552126.html

But police said that they learned later that bad information led them to that house.

"It was found out that this particular address was not part of that long-term investigation,"

There's a shocker.

Garcia told KMSP that police grabbed the family's children and used them as shields during the incident.

Fixed it for 'em.

Sorry to be so cynical today.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

...Several officers returned fire, but no one in the house was injured....
So the home owner landed shots on multiple officers, but "several" officers couldn't hit ANYONE?!?! Holy crap :banghead:!!!

Sage of Seattle

imported post

bourneshooter wrote:
Sage, you got that right.

Are you in Boise still?

Yes, sir. My fiancee and I will be living in Boise for at least the next few years.

I lived in Seattle for almost twenty years, hence my screen name. Some wag either here or on THR suggested I change my name to "Basil of Boise." Man, that still cracks me up.

DeltaII5

imported post

bourneshooter wrote:

LOL good one, the BG tried to avoid hitting the cops and they opened fire for the hell of it. Good to see the didn't mind the friendlies on the other side of the vehicle.

One of the articles I read said they fired 20-30 rounds and hit no one? Yet this guy hits two of them!?!? How can this be, the media tells me how well trained LEOs are and that is why they should be the only ones carrying guns!

Thundar

imported post

This dynamic entry crap is very dangerous indeed. I am glad nobody was killed. Innocent lives will be lost if judges sign dynamic entry warrants.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

'Basic gun safety rules', like there are some advanced gun safety rules?

When will the Nasty Reasonable-regulators' Asses - NRA - demand advanced CQB gun safety training as reasonable infringement on our RKABA?

LOADED - MUZZLE - TRIGGER - TARGET

Safety is a tyrant's tool; no one can be against safety.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$ Merry Christmas

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Minneapolis officers raid innocent family's home, trade fire with frightened dad; no injuries

By STEVE KARNOWSKI

Associated Press Writer

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Two officers who raided an innocent family's house on a bad tip were shot at and returned fire, but no one was injured, a police spokesman said.

Vang Khang said Monday that he grabbed his hunting gun to protect himself, his wife and his six children when they heard someone burst through the back door early Sunday. He fired three shots, hitting two members of the SWAT team, but they were unhurt because of their bulletproof vests and helmets.

Officers returned fire, but nobody in the house was injured. Police released Khang after taking his statement.

All six of the children, ages 3 to 15, were home at the time.

Lt. Amelia Huffman said the officers went to the house listed on the search warrant, but it turned out the source was wrong.

Seven police officers were put on paid administrative leave as the department investigates, standard procedure when officers are involved in shootings, Huffman said.

Huffman declined to say much about the underlying case but said it was generated by a unit that typically handles drug and gang crimes.

Khang, 34, and his wife, Yee Moua, told reporters Monday night that they thought intruders had broken into their home.

Moua said she was watching television on the main floor when she heard voices and then windows breaking. She ran upstairs to tell her husband.

Khang said he grabbed the shotgun from a closet and fired three shots out his bedroom door. When his sons yelled at him that the intruders were actually police, he put down his gun and put his hands in the air.

"The whole family is badly shaken and still trying to understand what happened,'' Moua said. She and Khang showed reporters five broken windows and 22 bullet holes.

AP-ES-12-17-07 2214EST

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
He fired three shots, hitting two members of the SWAT team, but they were unhurt because of their bulletproof vests and helmets.

Officers returned fire, but nobody in the house was injured. Khang showed reporters five broken windows and 22 bullet holes.
Graduates of advanced CQB gun safety training, I wonder, at what they were shooting? LOADED - MUZZLE - TRIGGER - TARGET Thank goodness none of the innocents were hurt.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
SNIP She and Khang showed reporters five broken windows and 22 bullet holes.

A good dose of derisive laughter is in order. :lol:

OK. All USMC forum members, on three...

One. Two. Three. MAGGIE'S DRAWERS! (the term for a complete miss, signified by the person marking the target, wavingamarker back and forth in front of the target. I don't recall the history or tradition of the term.)

Tomahawk

imported post

Citizen wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
SNIP She and Khang showed reporters five broken windows and 22 bullet holes.

A good dose of derisive laughter is in order. :lol:

OK. All USMC forum members, on three...

One. Two. Three. MAGGIE'S DRAWERS! (the term for a complete miss, signified by the person marking the target, wavingamarker back and forth in front of the target. I don't recall the history or tradition of the term.)
The term comes from the fact that some ranges used and maybe still use a red cloth flag instead of the red metal disk currently used. Waving the red flag in front of the target indicates a miss. You figure the rest out.