Thread: ITEM 14 FROM THE LATEST VCDL UPDATE

Post imported post

saw item #14 in the latest VCDL alert and it spoke of a gun buyback program and it raised a question for me. what is the legallity of setting up across the street and offering 125.00 for the guns the police are buying for 100.00? i realize some of the guns will be junk but i am sure there is some good stuff going to the smelter as well in these gun buy backs.

just a question?

Post imported post

Why set-up across the street...why not just walk through the line and stare at peoples guns and make offers on ones that interest you....thats what I did at Newport News' on Saturday and nobody said anything to me about it. My only advice is don't hang out right by the table the LEOs are manning....stick towards the middle/end of the line. Only proplem I encountered was that as non-gun owners people aren't aware of the legality of face to face transfers in VA and are thus reluctant to complete such a transaction.

Post imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
    Why set-up across the street...why not just walk through the line and stare at peoples guns and make offers on ones that interest you....thats what I did at Newport News' on Saturday and nobody said anything to me about it. My only advice is don't hang out right by the table the LEOs are manning....stick towards the middle/end of the line. Only proplem I encountered was that as non-gun owners people aren't aware of the legality of face to face transfers in VA and are thus reluctant to complete such a transaction.
    I know there was discussion in another thread about this same topic, but did you get anything worth while? I was thinking about doing that at some point, but it's a long drive down there for me. The closest one was in DC, and there's no way I was going near that one

Post imported post

I got nothin...zip/zilch/zero....I only asked one guy and was under the impression that he "couldn't" sell it to me like that.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
    If you're going to do this, wouldn't hurt to print out the applicable Virginia code and have copies ready. Also have some bills of sale made up (you keep one copy; give seller one copy)
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    bayboy42 wrote:
    If you're going to do this, wouldn't hurt to print out the applicable Virginia code and have copies ready. Also have some bills of sale made up (you keep one copy; give seller one copy)
    And have a buddy or two hidden with cameras to record the harrasment which is sure to be directed at you by the police.
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    bayboy42 wrote:
    Why would I give the seller a copy ofthe bill of sale as long as I have one to prove that I bought the gun?

Keep private sales private, don't feed the government gun registration gerbil.

He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

GaGunOwner wrote:
    I would watch out for stolen guns at a "buyback" like this. There is a good chance that a gun, especially a decent one, could be stolen. If the cops decide that they don't want you buying these guns they mightbegin to hassle you. If they are able to run the numbers on the gun you just bought you could be arrested for buying stolen property and possessing a stolen firearm.
    The only thing that the LEOs were running at this particluar buyback was serial numbers to see if the guns were legit. This was HIGHLY publicized in almost every announcement so in my opinion, the chance of running across a stolen gun at this particular event was slim. And what would give the police the right to run the number on any guns that I purchased during a private sale???

Post imported post

I'd give the seller a copy of the bill of sale so he can show who he sold it to. If it is traced to him, he can then show why he no longer has it. I would not give information other than name and address, but I'm trying to think of the person I buy it from as a human, too.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    Why would I give the seller a copy ofthe bill of sale as long as I have one to prove that I bought the gun?

Keep private sales private, don't feed the government gun registration gerbil.
    How does a non-private transaction (with a government/agency) avoid the 4473 requirements?

Post imported post

I thought 4473 requirements were for dealers. Not governments.

I need to go research that.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I think he is talking about the cops buying back the firearms with out completing the paperwork.