• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Recommendations (HandGun/Shotguns)

ATLdontRobMyBank

imported post

So, my father is moving out to the sticks and wants to get a shotgun. He wants a 20guage, double barrel shotgun. What models should I go look at to get him this? It's only going to be used for home protection and I think he will take it out and shoot it every so often.

Second question is this. I just got myself a bike and a lot of guys I've talked to say most bikers carry. I'm looking to get something for myself but where would be the best place to find a good deal on a handgun? I'm going to go out to the range, rent and shoot a bunch of different guns before choosing one, but I didnt know where the best deals could be found.

Thanks for any help.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

I've purchased both of my handguns from gunbroker.com -- you can usually find them there as cheap and, usually, cheaper than any gunshop. You'll just want to make sure that you line up a reasonably priced FFL before hand to do the transfer... $20-35 is a good price range for a transfer.

ATLdontRobMyBank

imported post

JB, he would never take it hunting, only home protection and taking it out to practice shooting, that's it.

eyesopened

imported post

I'm a biker and I carry, I don't know any statistics of how many bikers carry though... If you're new to handguns, some training along with your firearm will go a long way too. The way you wrote out your post, it almost sounds like a firearm is an accessory to a motorcyle? :lol:

ATLdontRobMyBank

imported post

eyesopened, honestly, I want to get one because of something a guy said to me while I was at the MSF course (motorcycle saftey foundation) class. He said, "sooner or later, you'll run across someone who will want your bike more than you will".

As far as gun training, I'm looking into getting into something soon. :)

and if yamaha ever makes a cherry red handgun, i'd be all over it. ;) (i joke, i ride a R6)