• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Case for the Model 29 Smith

Weak 9mm

imported post

Well, this one was crazy expensive. It was a Nickel finished S&W Model 29-5 with a scope. You could get a new S&W .44 Mag for significantly less.

I see new Model 629's, although i'm not certain on the differences, in 4" and 6" BBL forms for like $700 or so. There is a S&W Model 29 3" BBL "Bounty Hunter" for sale online at $575 (Shipped) right now. It looks nice, but it's got a pretty short barrel so it might kick a bit. Here's the "Bounty Hunter:"

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/72/products_id/43753

This shop sent me a messed up used gun, however, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. We'll see how the next gun looks. They are in the process of replacing it for free. I simply didn't complete the transfer so they were able to ship it right back and now another one will arrive soon.

thx997303

imported post

Geez, you really got screwed on that one didn't you? Let me know when you get the new one.

I believe that the model 629 is closer to the model 29. But I would have to look into that.

Wheelgunner

imported post

The 629 is an excellent option. It is the 29 just in Stainless steel. It will take .44 Special as well. All the fine points about the 29 just not in blue.

Question! Has anyone tried to Clear Coat Blue? I know that LarueWeaponery Sells clear, but has anyone tried to clear coat a blue gun?

If not, I may give it a shot to see how a 29 turns out. My five gets blue wear every couple of years and needs a touch up.

Attachments

• five!.jpg
    five!.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 353

Wheelgunner

imported post

Friends,

About 2 years ago Ibegan playing with the idea of "optimizing" a 29 for Combat carry. I called Cylinder and Slide in Fremont NE and discussed this project with them.

What we came up with was the following:

1.Five inch barrel (perhaps the best Combat barrel length for a 29)

2. Cylinder and Slide Extreme Duty Rear sight

3. Gold Bead Front sight (SDM)

4. SDM Cylinder latch

5. Narrow Trigger

6. Cylinder holes polished, numbered

7. Cylinder Crane Ball detent

8. Cylinder/Barrel gap lowered to 0.006

9. Hammer spur removed

10. Rear frame Stippled

11. Complete Action Job

12. Cylinder pin hole bushed

13. Master blue

14. Weapon sights adjusted to zero load at 15 yards

In addition to all the other advantages that I have documented in this thread, potential weak spots (Such as sights) are addressed. In my case, I replaced the adjustable sights with fixed sights and had them set for my defense load (Winchester Silvertip 210g). The gold bead front sight picks up better than the dull red ramp factory sight to my eyes. The SDM latch is sharp and opens the cylinder more quickly than the factory one. The rest of the mods are simply optimizing the already fine characteristics of this superb weapon. The blue is their master blue, but if you like non shiny weapons, the matte blue or various coatings are available.

After a year of waiting here she is...

WhiteFeather

imported post

I love the Model 29!

Currently my watering hole has a 7 1/2 in version sitting in the case. I would love to swoop down and grab it up but other projects are occuping my already tight arms budget.

On one other note though I do want to comment that although the .44 is a beautiful reliable sidearm I do not believe it is for everyone. It doesn't matter how great the terminal ballistics are, or how accurately a seasoned shooter can achieve god like groupings, the easiest way to scare off a new shooter is to hand them a honking big revolver and watch their grimace as it erupts from their hands and plants itself square between their eyes.

Best is always a poor choice in words when describing the material world.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Good call. I'm probably going to end up with one next week. A friend needs some money, and doesn't shoot his 629.

It's a 6.5" 629 Classic (I like the full under lug).

It's scoped right now, but it will be going back to irons. I'd also like to pick up a 29 or 629 in a 4" for occasional carry. The 44 paired with a lever gun is just about perfect for beating around the outdoors, IMO.

This has been one of the most enjoyable threads in a long time. Thanks for starting it, Wheelgunner!

Alexcabbie

imported post

I just got a M629 new lasrt month and I find it accurate and manageable even one-handed (although I fired it two-handed until I was used to it) Darn tootin'good sights, probably the best out-of-the-box revolver sights available and I wish SW would put them on all their revolvers, I hate top-strap groove sights! As a USAF cop I carried an m17 "Combat Masterpiece" with similarly adjustable sights (and I wish I could get one but they're unaccountably scarce). HOWEVER since I live in the City of Alexandria VA I would not carry this piece for self-protection because a miss would easily blow right through the wall of a townhouse or a restaurant or the door of a car, and the round might also go right through the bad guy and hit a citizen. On the other hand things would likely not come down to blammo once the bad guy got a gander at what was pointed at him. I have always said that the object is not to kill a bad guy but to end the threat, and if the BG goes:what:and runs for his life, so much the better. But my Walther PPK/s or my P.38 are big enough to accomplish that. But the 629 is a hoot to shoot, I'll give y'all that.

Whtdragn

imported post

Just registered and had to make a comment. I love my N-frame Smith but I went for the Mountain Gun in 45 colt. Love reloading the old round. Just my 2 cents and want to say hello to all.

cREbralFIX

imported post

Both Weak 9mm and Wheelgunner need to learn about terminal ballistics.

There is too much BS with regard to terminal ballistics in this thread.

Anyone who quotes "foot pounds of energy" as an indicator of terminal ballistics performance really, really needs to stop reading marketing material.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Did you see anyone in here claim that ft.lbs. were a measure of terminal ballistics?

I think you're putting way too much into what was said. All I mentioned was EXPANSION, that is what I brought up. EXPANSION. Read the whole thing from the beginning G money. Then he started in on the fact that the .44 Magnum is so much better than the 9mm. That's when we got into that discussion. The whole time I kept telling him that I was talking about, you guessed it, EXPANSION. Note that ft.lbs. are certainly a reasonable measurement to use when comparing the energy levels of two different bullets. Terminal ballistics take lots of measurements into account and don't think you aren't talking to someone with a good bit of knowledge concerning physics.

It might be worthwhile for you to now note that nowhere in there did either of us mention terminal ballistics to my knowledge. If he did then I can't help you there, but I know I didn't. In fact, I tried to state time and time again that I was NOT talking about "terminal ballistics" and the like. So you can take that high and mighty s*** right back out of here G money.

Here, in order are the parts from each of my posts that you clearly missed:

I like revolvers, and I don't doubt the massive power of a .44 magnum, but this statement about the 9mm is unfounded. A 9mm JHP will expand quite a bit over .429", and if it doesn't, you're using some garbage JHPs. A good 9mm JHP should expand into the .7" range, plus or minus a bit depending upon the bullet.

Also note that I specifically stated that the 9x19mm is nowhere near the power of a .44 Magnum, to claim otherwise is ridiculous. I simply addressed your unfounded claim that a .44Mag is an "already expanded 9mm."

F. My post, again, said NOTHING about power (Well, except for the fact that that I said the .44 Magnum is significantly more powerful). All it talked about was expansion. You've ignored all that and gone off on this tangent about stopping power and unexpanded bullet diameters.

And for the 100th time, I was never talking about stopping power, penetration, bullet weight or velocity. I did mention penetration in this post because you brought up some cherry picked claims on 9mm penetration, and I mentioned bullet weight in the post with the links simply to differentiate between rounds. I was only addressing your false claims on expansion, which were obviously a result of ignorance.

Please point out to me where I claim that "ft.lbs. are an accurate measure of 'terminal ballistics,'" G money.

cREbralFIX

imported post

I could care less...I'm not going to argue with you. Your grasp on the subject of terminal ballistics is weak and you're getting all wonky and aggressive.

It's derailing the thread, which is about why the 629 and 44 Magnum are great.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Again, nothing was said about terminal ballistics for you to base my "grasp" off of. Nobody got wonky either, cockbag.

But please, enlighten me with your massive physics skillz, now that you've already derailed the thread with your baseless trash talk. Back it up with evidence or roll on out of here with your G Money home boys.

thx997303

imported post

dude, cREbralFIX, you need to calm down there, nobody was saying nothing bad.

You need to calm down and stop attacking people.

Anyway, yeah those Model 29s are sweet. I wish they hadn't made that movie, then I might be able to get one for a decent price.

cREbralFIX

imported post

It's not an attack to comment on someone's bad information.

Weak 9mm is being particularly obnoxious; he apparently has to be "right". Perhaps the source of it is the time he spent on writing those posts; it's clear W9mm spent a bunch of time on it.

thx997303

imported post

Look, you posted that comment long after the conversation which you were commenting on, had ended.

So, probably best to leave it be.

Weak 9mm

imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:
It's not an attack to comment on someone's bad information.

Weak 9mm is being particularly obnoxious; he apparently has to be "right". Perhaps the source of it is the time he spent on writing those posts; it's clear W9mm spent a bunch of time on it.
Again, I invite you to find the "bad information," G Money.

And yes, this is good advice:

Look, you posted that comment long after the conversation which you were commenting on, had ended.

So, probably best to leave it be.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand:

Anyway, yeah those Model 29s are sweet. I wish they hadn't made that movie, then I might be able to get one for a decent price.
Exactly. Now we have to pay $700 for one it seems!! Argh! I wouldn't mind a 629 myself if I could get a cheap one.