• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairfax Police Roll Out High-Tech Fingerprint System

LEO 229

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
I do not think that Fairfax is going to go around demanding people to be scanned. The purpose is more likely to be used during justified stops dealing with people suspected of being wanted, having no ID, and having fake ID cards.
What about people like us who Open Carry and are stopped in what the officer THINKS is a justified stop, and then refuse to show ID? Are we going to be tased for not following what the cop was taught was "procedure?"

If there is no crime.. I am not sure how you could be forced to do so.

This will be interesting to see. I will have to find someone in Fairfax that knows about it.

LEO 229

imported post

possumboy wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Sweet!!! 15 more minutes of fame!!! ;)

I do not think that Fairfax is going to go around demanding people to be scanned. The purpose is more likely to be used during justified stops dealing with people suspected of being wanted, having no ID, and having fake ID cards.

We will probably see some type of criteria soon as to when they will be used.

What good are these units if the use is completely voluntary all the time.

I think they will try to use them every chance they get. I would... It is how the officer handles it upon refusal that matters.

Law Enforcement has every right to ask for the fingerprint under current laws - to ask. And in many cases, the citizen has every right to decline. At that point the officer should stop trying to fingerprint the citizen unless they are being arrested or detained. It is the duty of the citizen to invoke his or her rights, and the duty of the officer to accept the citizen invoking their rights.

I see this being the same as searches. "You don't have anything in this bag do you? So you don't mind if I take a look.(?)" Said as if it was a statement, but it is really a question.
This is true....

possumboy

imported post

hsmith wrote:
This is for your own good! I'm from the Gov't and I am here to help!

I going to sound like a parrot here, but...

It is the DUTY of the CITIZENto invoketheir rights. The full blame cannot be placed on the government. CITIZENS must take responsibility to ensure their own rights, nobody is going to do it for them.

It is the duty of the governmentto respect and protect those rights.

LEO 229

imported post

I am going to guess that the honest and law abiding citizens will not have a problem with the LEO asking questions and checking the prints of suspicious people.

It is the duty of the Government to protect the people from becoming victims. They must balance the rights of the people while providing this protection. It does come at a cost.

Would you be willing to let me scan your prints real quick? :lol:

What do you have to hide? :celebrate

OK, OK.. I know.. No Means No!!