Thread: Castle Doctrine

Post imported post

Post imported post

After looking at the page i don't see Washington as having a castle doctrine. Do we have laws on the books that protect homeowners and people defending themselves outside the home?

Post imported post

Since the enactment of the Florida legislation, Alabama,[4] South Dakota, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, Michigan, Oklahoma, and Indiana have adopted similar statutes, and other states (Alaska, Arizona, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Washington and Wyoming) are currently considering "Stand Your Ground" laws of their own.[2]
    Some of the states that have passed or are considering "stand your ground" legislation already are considered "stand your ground" in their case law. These states include: Washington State (per State v. Reynaldo Redmond), Indiana, and Georgia. Though stand your ground is already caselaw in these states, these states still passed "stand your ground" into statute due to possible concerns of the caselaw being replaced by "duty to retreat" by future court rulings. Also, these states did not have civil immunity for self defense in their previous self defense statutes.

Post imported post

Am I missing something here, or is the thread fairly... without a point?

Post imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
    Well, I just posted it as an FYI. There is no particular point I am trying to relay.
    Only information. I thought some people might be interested in knowing whether
    their state is a "Shoot First" state and whether or not if there is a "Duty to retreat" stipulation. Sorry, I thought it was self explanatory.

Post imported post

makaz_9x18 wrote:
    imperialism2024 wrote:
    Well, I just posted it as an FYI. There is no particular point I am trying to relay.
    Only information. I thought some people might be interested in knowing whether
    their state is a "Shoot First" state and whether or not if there is a "Duty to retreat" stipulation. Sorry, I thought it was self explanatory.
    Ah, should have stated that then

Most of us are familiar with Wikipedia... there is a danger, though, in relying on the generalizations of "castle doctrine" versus "non-castle doctrine" states rather than looking at specific state law. For example, Pennsylvania has about four pages worth of laws regarding justified self-defense... "castle doctrine" or "non-castle doctrine" does not adequately summarize those laws, and while PA is often put in the latter category, a read of the relevant laws (Consolidated Statutes Title 18, Chapter 5, Sections 505-507) reveals that it is considerably closer to the former than its classification implies.

Post imported post

If you had gone to the page you may have noticed there are links to State-by-state positions on Castle Doctrine

Post imported post

makaz_9x18 wrote:
    If you had gone to the page you may have noticed there are links to State-by-state positions on Castle Doctrine
    For 25 states

Anyhow, point taken.