• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Castle Doctrine

nofoa

imported post

After looking at the page i don't see Washington as having a castle doctrine. Do we have laws on the books that protect homeowners and people defending themselves outside the home?

makaz_9x18

imported post

Since the enactment of the Florida legislation, Alabama,[4] South Dakota, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, Michigan, Oklahoma, and Indiana have adopted similar statutes, and other states (Alaska, Arizona, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Washington and Wyoming) are currently considering "Stand Your Ground" laws of their own.[2]
Some of the states that have passed or are considering "stand your ground" legislation already are considered "stand your ground" in their case law. These states include: Washington State (per State v. Reynaldo Redmond), Indiana, and Georgia. Though stand your ground is already caselaw in these states, these states still passed "stand your ground" into statute due to possible concerns of the caselaw being replaced by "duty to retreat" by future court rulings. Also, these states did not have civil immunity for self defense in their previous self defense statutes.

makaz_9x18

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Am I missing something here, or is the thread fairly... without a point?
Well, I just posted it as an FYI. There is no particular point I am trying to relay.
Only information. I thought some people might be interested in knowing whether
their state is a "Shoot First" state and whether or not if there is a "Duty to retreat" stipulation. Sorry, I thought it was self explanatory. :(

imperialism2024

imported post

makaz_9x18 wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
Am I missing something here, or is the thread fairly... without a point?
Well, I just posted it as an FYI. There is no particular point I am trying to relay.
Only information. I thought some people might be interested in knowing whether
their state is a "Shoot First" state and whether or not if there is a "Duty to retreat" stipulation. Sorry, I thought it was self explanatory. :(
Ah, should have stated that then :)

Most of us are familiar with Wikipedia... there is a danger, though, in relying on the generalizations of "castle doctrine" versus "non-castle doctrine" states rather than looking at specific state law. For example, Pennsylvania has about four pages worth of laws regarding justified self-defense... "castle doctrine" or "non-castle doctrine" does not adequately summarize those laws, and while PA is often put in the latter category, a read of the relevant laws (Consolidated Statutes Title 18, Chapter 5, Sections 505-507) reveals that it is considerably closer to the former than its classification implies.