• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

moving to AZ

r6-rider

imported post

I'm almost 18 and am planning on moving to Arizona and get out of this hippy state CA. I was just wondering if there were any rules on carrying spare mags. As far as i know (from what i'v read) you can, at the age of 18, openly carry a handgun but cannot purchase ammo or the handgun itself. But my question is, can i carry my 1911 with 2 spare mags on the opposite hip and be ok? I'm assuming this shouldnt be a problem but i like to double check just in case.

bbvk05

imported post

There is no limit on the amount of ammo you can carry here. Be careful about how you obtain your ammo, you would not want to commit a crime in the process by lying to the clerk and saying the ammo is for a rifle.

r6-rider

imported post

i got someone to get me ammo im not to worried about that. but what would happen if i were to get caught lying?

r6-rider

imported post

oh yea i had another question. being that im under 21 and cannot purchase or consume any alcohol do i still have to stay out of places that serve it? if so, how much trouble would i get in if i were to go in and have dinner at a restaurant that serves alcohol?

bbvk05

imported post

there is no law that limits people under 21 from entering an establishment that serves alcohol. Some bars do prohibit underage people from entering so that they do not have to ID inside. In other words, if you can get in then you are legal to get in. Just dont carry in places that serve alcohol for consumption.

I was telling you how an underage person could easily get handgun ammo here through sarcasm. I am sure its some kind of crime if you are in fact lying, but you could just as easily be buying ammo for your friend's carbine. Impossible to prove.

r6-rider

imported post

cool thanks for the info man. you think i would get harrassed by cops if i were to just carry right now at 17 with my parents there. i look older but if a cop were to question my age and i said 17 what are the chances of that situation turning bad?

bbvk05

imported post

Im not a lawyer.

From what I understand Arizona is fairly strict about minors posessing firearms. It is illegal under most circumstances.

There are exemtions in the law for minors enguaged in hunting and sporting activities, but those include provisions that the guns be unloaded during travel.

Posessing a loaded gun with your parents present is likely okay, but if I were you I would wait until I am 18. The law is vague and cops often cannot sort through the vagueries, they might just cuff you and let a judge sort it out.

I wanted to carry when I was 16 and 17 too. My dad would not let me unless we were doing so in some legally exempted activity like hunting. Never to McDonalds or something.

I do not regret waiting until 18, but it sucks in the meantime.