• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jan 20th lunch meeting

Machoduck

imported post

Thanks, Joe. I'm probably in. I certainly enjoyed meeting everyone at the Olympia dinner; I'd like to meet others (as well as see my new friends again). Any locations come to mind?

MD

joeroket

imported post

There are some suggestions in the above mentioned thread. If you don't want this planned last minute then please head over to it and throw in your opinion.

compmanio365

imported post

OK, so what happened to planning things on the Open Carry forums? This IS an OC meetup, correct? Why are we now forced to join another forum just to plan our lunches? I don't really like playing pinball back and forth between forums and keeping track of another place. Keeping up with the posting here takes up enough time as it is.

If there is another forum, great, but I don't think we should beFORCED to use that one in order to make it to the OPEN CARRY meetups.....

joeroket

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
OK, so what happened to planning things on the Open Carry forums? This IS an OC meetup, correct? Why are we now forced to join another forum just to plan our lunches? I don't really like playing pinball back and forth between forums and keeping track of another place. Keeping up with the posting here takes up enough time as it is.

If there is another forum, great, but I don't think we should beFORCED to use that one in order to make it to the OPEN CARRY meetups.....
Nobody is forcing anything on you. If you don't want to join the forums at NWCDL.org thats fine, you do not have to be registered in order to read it. If you did read it you would see that I am trying to make an effort to get these planned in advance since there have been a couple comments about planning them in advance so there is time for everyone to plan for it.

gregma

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Good lord! Why the attitude?

I didn't read a single thing that FORCED *ANYONE* to use anything other than what the heck they want. We who met at one of the gatherings decided to try and create something to help us in the Pacific Northwest specifically with firearm and opencarry related issues. If you don't want to help, or don't want to join, that's up to you. But this attitude is completely uncalled for!

compmanio365

imported post

joeroket wrote:

I created a thread here, http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?topic=78.msg343#msg343 with the hopes of trying to drive some traffic to the site and because it is specifically for Washington and we have a calendar to keep track of things.
There are some suggestions in the above mentioned thread. If you don't want this planned last minute then please head over to it and throw in your opinion.
Sounds like we're told we HAVE to use this to me. Historically, THIS board has been used to plan OPEN CARRY meetups, since, y'know, it's OPEN CARRY DOT ORG.

You don't have to be registered to read, but you do to post. Therefore, if you want to be involved in the planning aspect of the next meetup, you have to register on that forum.

I have no problem with the idea behind NWCDL.org, in fact, I think it's a great idea. But it's like a group of people inside the Washington forum decided to move their discussions elsewhere, and are now telling others, "Join up, or miss out on the next event!". Sorry, but that's how I'm reading this. I see the folks who are on OCDO, and the people who are on NWCDL, split into two groups.

Is what is posted there going to be mirrored there, and vice versa? All the sudden, an arbitrary decision was made by a few people that nobody else had any idea about, and others, including myself, are left shaking our heads and going, "When the hell did the monthly meetup discussions get moved off this board? Join your forum or be left out?" Sounds like an ultimatum to me, and a cheap way to get people to join your forum over there. If you want people to join your board, you should start by giving people a reason they should join up, not tell them suddenly they have to join up over there or miss out being able to discuss the January meetup.

My point in all this is not to cause a division or upset anyone, in fact, it's the opposite. If some of us go over to the other forum, and some of us decide not to, then we've effectively split our group here on OCDO into 2, and problems start from there. That's just how I see it. How can you not say, given the posts above, that what we are being told, after someone asks for suggestions of locations to meet, that we have to go to the other forum, or be left out of the discussion? If you really think that, you are blinded by your desire to drive traffic to your site, and not seeing the big picture. If I am wrong, fine, it wouldn't be the first time, and if someone explains it to me so I understand, I'll admit it, here, publicly. But clarify what the true purpose in coming on here and saying "Go to our forum to discuss this, rather than doing it here." What is that purpose, other than to take the discussion away from here?

I'm not trying to attack you or your site Greg, and I'm trying not to have an attitude; you've met me in person and I'm not a rude person if I can help it. I just think what I'm writing is being misunderstood; it's not attitude I'm trying to convey, it's concern.

I just don't understand what is going on here and I don't want to see our people divided into two groups; every time I've seen something like this where someone on a forum creates another place, two camps form and the communication between them eventually ceases. I know that's not your intention, but that's what I see happening in the future. I know you want to use the calendar function, and that's great, it sounds like a good idea, but I just think pushing people here to use the forum there for OC related discussion and meetup planning is a bad idea. Use the calendar, great tool, but the OC discussion and plans to meet for an OC event should remain here, on OCDO. That's all I'm saying.

compmanio365

imported post

Anyways, back on topic, I say for the 20th, I say somewhere around Seattle; we've been talking about doing one in Seattle for some time, but unless I missed it, I don't think it's happened. Is there any good places in/around Seattle to go for a lunch/dinner?

Dave The Welder

imported post

I agree with Compmanio365. Meetings should be planned here. The majority of people are here and I've only had trouble with nwcdl.org. It's very slow to load compared to other pages and whenever I try register, the site tells me that I'm not entering the right word in the security picture. I know this seems trivial, but there's one less person that can comment because of problems with the page and if I have problems, then I bet that there's other people who are having problems. Very few of us are memebers on the other board. We all are members here, we all check here for the meetings, and we all should comment here about when to have them. Just my two cents.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Personally I have no issue with the situation being discussed on both places. NWCDL's origination is with OCDO's Washington Forum and Pacific Northwest Open Carry. I do realize that there's a bit of frustration with the lack of growth at NWCDL, but as experience as shown, more groups are a good thing, not less. Until things get more formalized with NWCDL, it's going to happen that there's going to be more activity here, and personally, I have no issue with that, and yes the issue should be addressed.

The gatherings thus far have been OCDO Washington led, and I don't know of any persons over at NWCDL that aren't members here. Let's just leave it the way it is, and continue it being jointly done.

As for my personal opinion as to where the next gather should be, I think it should be more north, such as Everett, depending on the amount of harassment that occurs in Olympia. If another "incident" happens in Oly, we go back again stronger.

joeroket

imported post

Compmanio, I see where you are coming from. Thanks for the clarification on how you see it. It is not our intention to divide the group nor drive people there instead of OCDO.Let's do a little comprimising. We can discuss it here and post it on the calendar at nwcdl.

So let's try and mesh the two discussions now.

The topic over there is that we should have it on Sunday Jan. 20th, it's the third sunday of the month. The suggestions are to have a lunch meeting somewhere north, Northgate, Lynwood or South Everett, with possible shooting at Sam's before or after lunch. I am figuring lunch for most people would fall around 1:00pm to 2:00pm.

How does 2:00pm on the 20th sound? If there are no major objections then we can discuss the location.

joeroket

imported post

Dave The Welder wrote:
I agree with Compmanio365. Meetings should be planned here. The majority of people are here and I've only had trouble with nwcdl.org. It's very slow to load compared to other pages and whenever I try register, the site tells me that I'm not entering the right word in the security picture. I know this seems trivial, but there's one less person that can comment because of problems with the page and if I have problems, then I bet that there's other people who are having problems. Very few of us are memebers on the other board. We all are members here, we all check here for the meetings, and we all should comment here about when to have them. Just my two cents.
Dave, I am not sure why you are having an issue registering or with the site being slow. It is a fast server in a major datacenter in Texas. I have 3 other boards, beside nwcdl, and have never really come across problems with the security image before. If you could PM me the exact problems you are having I can take a look into it and see if I can come up with a resolution for you. I may just manually create you an account if need be.

heresolong

imported post

Sorry guys, I'm waiting for one much further north. Any chance of having a get together in Skagit or Whatcom County?

just_a_car

imported post

Well, we never did get around to doing the Bellingham one, but that was due to the man that was charged with OC'ing in the park.

Lonnie informed me that all charges were dropped in that case. WooHoo!

joshmmm

imported post

Wheelgunner wrote:
I can't see anything but confusion by having two boards. I'll stick here with the sick twisted, insane, need to be tased, opencarriers on this board.

+1

I fail to see the usefulness of having a board with, say 100 members, and another board comprised ONLY of members from the first board with ANY amount of members. What is the point if it doesn't encompass seperate interests. As far as I can tell, the other board is simply another forum on the same exact subject with a subset of members.

While I think the idea of having a group name and an organization may be useful if we ever need to work on PR, or to publish anything, could be helpful, the board itself is entirely pointless. Why register in two places? Personally, I don't have the time to check 20 websites a day (which is what would happen if every site I check suddenly spawns baby sites).

I'm sorry if this sounds rude or anything, but unless someone can point out a significant benefit of having two boards, I personally would prefer the other board to not to exist so that it doesn't siphon off discussion/members from this one. (which, obviously, was here first.) Keep the website up, but remove the seperate forum and just have it link to this one--maybe one day it will need a seperate board, but right now, I just don't see it.

gregma

imported post

joshmmm wrote:
Wheelgunner wrote:
I can't see anything but confusion by having two boards. I'll stick here with the sick twisted, insane, need to be tased, opencarriers on this board.

+1

I fail to see the usefulness of having a board with, say 100 members, and another board comprised ONLY of members from the first board with ANY amount of members. What is the point if it doesn't encompass seperate interests. As far as I can tell, the other board is simply another forum on the same exact subject with a subset of members.

While I think the idea of having a group name and an organization may be useful if we ever need to work on PR, or to publish anything, could be helpful, the board itself is entirely pointless. Why register in two places? Personally, I don't have the time to check 20 websites a day (which is what would happen if every site I check suddenly spawns baby sites).

I'm sorry if this sounds rude or anything, but unless someone can point out a significant benefit of having two boards, I personally would prefer the other board to not to exist so that it doesn't siphon off discussion/members from this one. (which, obviously, was here first.) Keep the website up, but remove the seperate forum and just have it link to this one--maybe one day it will need a seperate board, but right now, I just don't see it.
#1 there are members on nwcdl.org that are NOT members here, nor wish to be. #2 I think it's quite useful to have admins and moderators who care about OUR laws, OUR region, OUR unique situation. #3 It's nice to have the ability to tailor things based on our wants and desires, not worrying about what New Jersey might need.

If you wish to support a local area group that wants to improve things in OUR area, good for you. If you don't, then that's your business. This will be my last post on this subject. Do whatever you will, help us grow or try to tear us down. I'll be there attempting to improve things in OUR area either way for years to come.

Dave The Welder

imported post

Although I still think that having two boards is a hassle, I must admit that after spending some time on the nwcdl board, I really like how it's set up. I do like the chat room feature (which I was in with gregma, sv_libertarian, and just_a_car last night) for when you just want to talk about something right now and not have to worry about posting. The gallery for photos is nice as what we were talking about doing on OCDO would have required us to make a post with photos that could easily get lost in the sea of posts instead of having a gallery that's always available. The nicest section is the download section where all the training bulletins are laid out and easy to find. No looking through post after post trying to find a link, they're all right there in one spot.
I still think that meetings should primarily be discussed on OCDO since we have the most members here, however, I see no reason not to use the resources made available to us on nwcdl. Some of our members like gregma and joeroket put some serious time into creating and running it, and it's very nice. Let's all give it a chance and support it as much as we can.

Boom Shakalaka

imported post

NWCDL also won't let you view links unless you are registered and logged in. I find that annoying... you can't click on a map for directions, for instance.