• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does VA AG McDonnell deserve to beat VA Sen. Deeds for VA Governor?

Who would be best for gun owners as Virginia's next Governor?

• AG Bob McDonnell (R)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Senator Creigh Deeds (D)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rebfan

imported post

I would go with Kilgore, because in the end, he would side with gun rights. Whereas, as has been shown regardless of how they campaigned, both Warner and Kaine are anti gun rights. All they needed was one issue to fly to the left.

TEX1N

imported post

rebfan wrote:
I would go with Kilgore, because in the end, he would side with gun rights. Whereas, as has been shown regardless of how they campaigned, both Warner and Kaine are anti gun rights. All they needed was one issue to fly to the left.
Kilgore already lost... ;)

rebfan

imported post

Well of course he did. I was answering the question that was asked of me-- if I would choose Kilgore or a "pro" gun rights Dem.

glocknroll

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
rebfan wrote:
Again, I think you need to keep in mind who he will be answering to if he gets elected to State wide office. Look at Timmy Kaine, and Warner. Do you really want to have another Governor who hob knobs with Hillary and Obama?
Tim Kaine has been an avowed anti-gunner since the beginning, and always known to be so.

Mark Warner was less anti-gun than Kaine, but did sign bills significantly strengthening preemption.

Craig Deeds was one of the original co-sponsors of the 1995 bill making Virginia shall-issue.

You're telling me that if you had a democratic candidate who was fiercely pro-gun, and an a waffler like Jerry Kilgore, you'd choose Kilgore?

Think of Deeds as a test: Would we as gun owners support a stronger pro-gun Democratic candidate versus a weaker though pro-gun Republican candidate?
I'm what is described as a "single issue voter". I will always vote for my guns. As long as I have my guns, I can defend the rest of my rights.

rebfan

imported post

Deeds realizes because he lives in a more conservative part of the State has to reflect his district. Here in NOVA, outside of Chap the Dems are not too gun right friendly. And of course one can run one way, and rule another way.

Th

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Well that brings up another point: Is he pro-gun because of his district or is he pro-gun just because he is?

That will be the interesting question. Let's give a theory as such.

Let's say I run for Governor as a Democrat. If you've seen me as a gun rights activist in Washington, you'd know that I've pushed for open carry's acceptance there, know that I have supported repealing the Washington Machine Gun/SBS/SBR bans, get rid of the "no carry in schools" law that passed there years ago, etc etc..

Would you vote for me over a Republican who either has no history or has a negative history but now playing the "I'm friendly with the NRA" card, such as what Mitt Romney is doing?

vt357

imported post

Food for thought Even though the bill seems to have been killed - how do you feel about Deeds' proposals?

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-01-23-0232.html

Deeds seeks to salvage "gun show loophole" billWednesday, Jan 23, 2008 - 02:50 PMUpdated: 03:30 PM Sen. R. Creigh Deeds, D-Bath, is seeking to amend a Senate bill that calls for background checks on anyone who is purchasing a gun from an unlicensed seller at a gun show.
The Deeds amendment is an attempt to save the proposal to close "the gun-show loophole," a bill that Democratic leaders felt may have been in danger of being rejected.
The amendment spelled out by Deeds at a Senate Court of Justice Committee hearing this afternoon, would change the proposed bill in three ways:
[*]It would exempt from a background check any prospective purchaser who already has a permit to carry a concealed weapon and who wants to buy a gun from an unlicensed seller. [*]It would exempt from a background check any purchases of antique weapons from unlicensed sellers. [*]It would make the background-check apply only on the leased premises of the gun show. Areas outside the leased space, such as parking lots, would be exempt from requiring background checks. The committee recessed about 2:30 to review the amended bill and will take it up for discussion this afternoon. It's not clear whether the committee will vote on the bill today.
Deeds and Del. Brian J. Moran, D-Alexandria are seeking the party's nomination to run for governor in 2009.

rebfan

imported post

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2008 03:24 am

Well that brings up another point: Is he pro-gun because of his district or is he pro-gun just because he is?

That will be the interesting question. Let's give a theory as such.

Let's say I run for Governor as a Democrat. If you've seen me as a gun rights activist in Washington, you'd know that I've pushed for open carry's acceptance there, know that I have supported repealing the Washington Machine Gun/SBS/SBR bans, get rid of the "no carry in schools" law that passed there years ago, etc etc..

Would you vote for me over a Republican who either has no history or has a negative history but now playing the "I'm friendly with the NRA" card, such as what Mitt Romney is doing?

That is an interesting question. Of course people can flip flop the other way too. Though, with Deeds running for Governor, we will get a chance to see how he campaigns and if he campaigns the same way in both the real Virginia and in liberal Northern VA.

I do think the proposals are interesting, but in the end, he is siding with the anti-gun right folks.

TEX1N

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
Deeds voted in favor of banning private sales at gun shows. He's dead to me. I wish I could change my vote.
McDonnell failed to stop GMU's illegal gun ban from getting into the VAC. And his office still doesn't seem to be doing anything to fix it (event though they constantly say they are looking into it).

I have a feeling that next VA election you are going to be seeing a LOT more "Philip Van Cleave for Governor" bumper stickers!