• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dr. Paul on headline news

dng

State Researcher
imported post

As far as I can tell, Huckabee is really not a great choice. But he is better than Romney, Giuliani, or McCain so he might have to do. The problems with Huckabee: 1. he is still going to be on the bandwagon of expanding the government, even though he likes the "fair" tax, it still is not enough. Spending MUST be cut way back. We are going to be bankrupt if we don't. 2. He is VERY soft on immigration. As governor, he was trying to get funding to pay for the children of illegal immigrants to go to college; sorry (I don't hate immigrants, most of us are great great great grandchildren of immigrants) but I don't want the crazy spending in Washington to continue. 3. I am a Christian, but I don't like how Huckabee is handling his religion. I am voting for a president, not a pastor. Don't get me wrong, I want his faith to influence his life, but I DO NOT want him debating religion; that's not the job he's running for.

Just my 2 cents of a rant...not directed at anyone, just some observations.

sjhipple

imported post

dngreer wrote:
As far as I can tell, Huckabee is really not a great choice. But he is better than Romney, Giuliani, or McCain so he might have to do. The problems with Huckabee: 1. he is still going to be on the bandwagon of expanding the government, even though he likes the "fair" tax, it still is not enough. Spending MUST be cut way back. We are going to be bankrupt if we don't. 2. He is VERY soft on immigration. As governor, he was trying to get funding to pay for the children of illegal immigrants to go to college; sorry (I don't hate immigrants, most of us are great great great grandchildren of immigrants) but I don't want the crazy spending in Washington to continue. 3. I am a Christian, but I don't like how Huckabee is handling his religion. I am voting for a president, not a pastor. Don't get me wrong, I want his faith to influence his life, but I DO NOT want him debating religion; that's not the job he's running for.

Just my 2 cents of a rant...not directed at anyone, just some observations.
Putting aside Ron Paul, who I'm assuming is not in your consideration set, what's wrong with Fred Thompson?

sjhipple

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
Jersey Ron wrote:
i don't think he will win but i'm praying that he "wakes up" as many people as possible, ESPECIALLY when it comes down to our gun rights. when you actually listen and STUDY what this guy is saying, then he doesn't sound like a tin-foil hat recruit like SOME people HERE want us to believe.

I agree 100%. I don't think Dr. Paul is going to get the nomination, but he has definitely opened my eyes. Perhaps another, more mainstream candidate might be a little better for us to hope for. Mike Huckabee anyone? As far as I can tell, this guy is the real deal as well. Not nearly as "constitutionalist" or libertarian as I would like, but he resonates well with my conservative roots, and according to CCN, he's only a few points behind Juliani, who has really been slipping in the last few months. My prediction: Mike Huckabee takes Iowa and wins the nomination. Maybe Dr. Paul can get his message out more, and bring in some more voters, but if not, I'm down with Mike Huckabee for Pres.

Mike Huckabee doesn't seem to want our guns either, so that is a definite +100000000.

I'm voting my conscience for Ron Paul (and I do think he has a chance to win).

However, I think Fred Thompson has all of Huckabee's strengths without most of his weaknesses. Huckabee is a big spender.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

ama-gi wrote:
Putting aside Ron Paul, who I'm assuming is not in your consideration set, what's wrong with Fred Thompson?
Thompson has been a big disappointment to me. I was really hoping he was the next Reagan. I was holding out, I wasn't supporting RP yet. But after Thompson declared he was running, it was all downhill after that. He looks old (mentally). I know some of it is his personality, but its almost like he is SO slow answering sometimes that a crisis would be over before he decided what to do about it.:lol: I don't feel he has any real, new, fresh answers to the problems we are facing as a nation. Granted, he is still better than Romney, Giuliani, and McCain. RP is my first choice, and Huckabee and Thompson are tied for my second choice. Duncan Hunter is great on the border issue, that's about all he stands out on. I don't fully agree with RP's foreign policy, but I feel that we MUST have a change from our current course as a nation, which is not working. RP will make the most changes for the good, and even though I am not 100% sure about a couple of things, I am willing to "risk" those things because of all the good he would do. Hopefully this mumbo-jumbo makes some kind of sense; if not, just ignore it! :D

sjhipple

imported post

dngreer wrote:
ama-gi wrote:
Thompson has been a big disappoint to me. I was really hoping he was the next Reagan. I was holding out, I wasn't supporting RP yet. But after Thompson declared he was running, it was all downhill after that. He looks old (mentally). I know some of it is his personality, but its almost like he is SO slow answering sometimes that a crisis would be over before he decided what to do about it. I don't feel he has any real answers to the problems we are facing as a nation. Granted, he is still better than Romney, Giuliani, and McCain. RP is my first choice, and Huckabee and Thompson are tied for my second choice. Duncan Hunter is great on the border issue, that's about all he stands out on. I don't fully agree with RP's foreign policy, but I feel that we MUST have a change from our current course as a nation, which is not working. RP will make the most changes for the good, and even though I am not 100% sure about a couple of things, I am willing to "risk" those things because of all the good he would do. Hopefully this mumbo-jumbo makes some kind of sense; if not, just ignore it! :D
You sound like most Republicans right now. We really don't know who we are anymore.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

ama-gi wrote:
You sound like most Republicans right now. We really don't know who we are anymore.
This might be semantics, but I think we (Americans) do knowwho we are. Democrats and Republicans differ on some things, yes, but deep down, the majority of us are just regular folks, good honest Americanswho are sick of the crap in Washington. Both parties have lost their ways, and are horrible. I say we should trim off from off about 200 miles inland all around the borders of the nation, and we'd be alot better off. And if you're a good person and happen to live on the "crust" on my "PB and J sandwich" jump a little more inland and you'll be fine! :lol:

MetalChris

imported post

dngreer wrote:
I say we should trim off from off about 200 miles inland all around the borders of the nation, and we'd be alot better off. And if you're a good person and happen to live on the "crust" on my "PB and J sandwich" jump a little more inland and you'll be fine! :lol:
Hmm...not a bad idea...

Anyway, it is really exciting to see RP get more attention these days. Maybe we do still have hope!

JB

imported post

This came in an email from the Evans-Novak Political Report.

"Rep. Ron Paul (Tex.) continues to amaze on many levels, and he had finally started to register on the polls. In last Tuesday's Midwestern ice storm, almost every Iowa event was cancelled. The exception was a Paul rally, which drew hundreds. His crowds are regularly huge and enthusiastic. He chalked up another record fundraising day on Sunday's anniversary of the Boston Tea Party, with more than $6 million in online donations in a single day."

He won't get the nomination, but it won't be the fault of his supporters.

compmanio365

imported post

I believe we have more than a fool's hope.......it's going to be up to those of us who are already "on board" with Ron Paul's message and campaign to do the footwork and introduce those who are not aware of Dr. Paul at all to his campaign, and discuss what he stands for, and let them decide for themselves. I think if people are truly willing to look at the facts, his message speaks for itself. If they aren't willing to listen, well, no pushing by myself, you or anyone else will speak to them. They are most likely so indoctrinated with the current system that they cannot see anything beyond it.

I'm running into this with many of the people I have talked to, especially those that are living on welfare and such, because they know they could no longer live off the government, and would have to think for themselves. They've been told how to think, what to do, and where to do it for so long that they can't see any other way. One person I can think of is voting for Clinton, just because he knows she'll keep all the welfare programs intact, whether it bankrupts this country or not. It's sad to see, and I have not been able to convince him otherwise.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I agree compmanio, and I certainly hope you're right. Paul is my number 1 choice, and I am pushing him as hard as I can.

I don't necessarily see Huckabee's religion as a huge negative factor in his candidacy. IMHO, he hasn't really flaunted his position as a pastor, and I like the thought of a Godly man in office... maybe that's just the christian in me talking... who knows. His "big spender" status is aproblem, but not a total turnoff for me.If he won the nomination, I'dsure vote for him ;).

imperialism2024

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
I'm running into this with many of the people I have talked to, especially those that are living on welfare and such, because they know they could no longer live off the government, and would have to think for themselves. They've been told how to think, what to do, and where to do it for so long that they can't see any other way. One person I can think of is voting for Clinton, just because he knows she'll keep all the welfare programs intact, whether it bankrupts this country or not. It's sad to see, and I have not been able to convince him otherwise.
I stirred up a big cloud of hatred in one of my classes this past semester when I said something along the lines of, "With the current two-party system, people can choose to vote for the Republicans if they want to force Christianity on others, or choose Democrat if they want free stuff." Mostly the "want free stuff" part pissed people off.

The truth of the matter is that it is human nature to pick whatever person is going to give them the most tangible benefit for the least work. They don't care about idealogies, freedom, liberty, or anything else that doesn't get them free stuff in this life (or the next). Unfortunately, Dr. Paul isn't waving free candy in front of voters like the other candidates, and I feel that in the end it will be his downfall. Hopefully not, but...

Tomahawk

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Unfortunately, Dr. Paul isn't waving free candy in front of voters like the other candidates, and I feel that in the end it will be his downfall.
In a nation with elections, the voters get the government they deserve. Good and hard, too.

MetalChris

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
They don't care about idealogies, freedom, liberty, or anything else that doesn't get them free stuff in this life...
And that will be the downfall of our nation. We might have another good (and I use that term loosely) 50 years left. After that we'll go the way of the UK.

AbNo

imported post

Ok, two-point post:

Huckabee is a TERRIBLY choice, he's raised taxes in Arkansas several times (I know because he did it while I was livining there).

He's not "soft" on imigration, he is pro-amnesty, as well as for allowing illegal aliens access to things like in-state tuition and tuition assistance.

He is ANYTIHNG but hard on crime.

In short, he's as much a damn RINO as Devolites Davis is, or rather, was. In fact, the only reason the news media pretends to love him so much is that he'll be an easy target to rip apart if he were to get the nomination.

Point 2: Talking to a Paulite buddy of mine, apparently, there's a big huff on one the RP boards that several people with Comcast cable were noting that about 10 minutes of the RP interview was cut out, and various shorts and mini-programs were put on in their place. Anyone know anything about that?

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I don't know anything about that. Beck made it especially clear that he wanted the interview shown unedited and uncut, because he did not want anyone to say it interview was edited to make RP look bad.

Tomahawk

imported post

Beck is a dangerous whack-job. Earlier, he stated that Paul supporters should be treated as "domestic enemies" and handled like suspected terrorists, because supporting Ron Paul is endangering the nation. He then proceeded to get together with David Horowitz for a 2-Minute Hate in which Horowitz stated that Ron Paul supporters are "in bed with the Islamofascists."

Here'sthe clip.

Beck, having provoked inevitable hate-mail, then complains about it and uses it to attack RP and his supporters. Neat trick.

I'm convinced that we need to save our country from these types of whack-jobs. Neo-cons have proven to be just as dangerous as any leftist. They both share one disastrous characteristic: they worship the state and state power, believing it to be more important than freedom itself.

Whether you supportRon Paulor not, think hard about that.

No NAU

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Beck is a dangerous whack-job. Earlier, he stated that Paul supporters should be treated as "domestic enemies" and handled like suspected terrorists, because supporting Ron Paul is endangering the nation. He then proceeded to get together with David Horowitz for a 2-Minute Hate in which Horowitz stated that Ron Paul supporters are "in bed with the Islamofascists."

Here's the clip.

Beck, having provoked inevitable hate-mail, then complains about it and uses it to attack RP and his supporters. Neat trick.

I'm convinced that we need to save our country from these types of whack-jobs. Neo-cons have proven to be just as dangerous as any leftist. They both share one disastrous characteristic: they worship the state and state power, believing it to be more important than freedom itself.

Whether you support Ron Paul or not, think hard about that.

I second this!!!:celebrate

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

Here'sthe clip.

Whether you supportRon Paulor not, think hard about that.
I do support RP, but Beck is not a "dangerous whack-job". He specifically says in the video that he is talking about small fringe groups; he is not talking about all RP supporters. He is talking about a couple idiotic people who have latched onto RP (which RP do not support) that have threatened the lives of Glenn andhis family. He constantly talks on the radio about what is going to be the cause of the downfall of our country, and this video clip is merely a continuation of his discussion about disenfranchisement. Glenn, like RP, cannot be listened to in short video clips. I listen to his radio program everyday, and watch the TV show almost every night. Of course I can't know this for sure, but it seems you might be repeating something you heard someone else sayrather than at least giving the guy a chance. Please, don't jump to a conclusion about Beck just because you heard someone else say something about him; if you are going to pass judgement, why not know first hand what he's really like. You'll be surprised to find that Beck is far more libertarian than you might think, and I would not be shocked for him to end up supporting RP in the end. Beck isn't right about a couple of issues, but for the most part, he is a really good guy.