• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why does every gun shop want to charge me $5 for a background check?

rvrctyrngr

imported post

Starbuck and bamboy have it right. BATFE requires the check, even for CWFL holderssince DOACS does not keep realtime records.

I had several CWFL holders denied in a check when I had an FFL.

bluelinewalker2

imported post

LEOs dont need a CCW because they are LE.They can carry openly 24/7.And I dont recall a wait for a handgun for LEOs in Fl.I could be wrong ,so can someone clarify this.:question:

brboyer

imported post

bluelinewalker2 wrote:
LEOs dont need a CCW because they are LE.They can carry openly 24/7.And I dont recall a wait for a handgun for LEOs in Fl.I could be wrong ,so can someone clarify this.:question:
LEO are exempt from the waiting period as are CWFL holders. The NICS check, not so much.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Just don't raise to much stink, or the above part that is rendered void will be the $8
max clause. Unless it is a very used sat night special, the taxes should eat up
way more than the check fee.
Maybe buy in bulk, so you only pay for one check, 5 guns = $1 each.:idea:
Attend one of those "Evil" gun shows with the big loopholes in them.:banghead:
Take the dealer out for a fishing cruise, and buy it when more than 3 miles out,
it's amazing how many guns vanish in that triangle.

FreedomJoyAdventure

imported post

DocV wrote:
attac wrote:
National Carry Law for LEO and Judges now.:)
National Carry Law for ALL citizens! :celebrate
Equal Protection Of The Law
n. the right of all persons to have the same access to the law and courts and to be treated equally by the law and courts, both in procedures and in the substance of the law. It is akin to the right to due process of law, but in particular applies to equal treatment as an element of fundamental fairness. The most famous case on the subject is Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka (1954) in which Chief Justice Earl Warren, for a unanimous Supreme Court, ruled that "separate but equal" educational facilities for blacks were inherently unequal and unconstitutional since the segregated school system did not give all students equal rights under the law. It will also apply to other inequalities such as differentials in pay for the same work or unequal taxation. The principle is stated in the 14th Amendment to the Constitution: "No State shall…deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

The fact that some citizens are more equal than others doesn't sit well with me. I want equal rights!

Legba

imported post

IIRC, there was initially a $15 fee when they initiated the background checks in Ohio. They've since discontinued it now that the NICS system is up and running, so there's no surcharge required any more. I don't know if dealers can charge for that at their discretion now, but now thatit costs them nothing to run the check, it'd be lame if they did - although considering some of the people who try to buy guns here, I wouldn't mind charging a $20 idiot tax the next time a felon wastes my time trying tosneak by(that does happen occasionally)...

-ljp

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Weird. For Michigan, there's a NICS check to get your CPL, and BATFE accepts this fact, so if you have your CPL permit, no NICS check, just cash on the barrel, and you walk out with your purchase.

Legba

imported post

Well, Ohio has no exception to NICS (except an FFL), but then we don't have purchase permits or registration for handguns either.

-ljp

smoking357

Banned
imported post

But the BATFE check is free and is not charged anywhere in the country.

starbuck wrote:
What it is saying is that the state of Florida does not require a background check for holders of concealed permits. However, BATFE does. BATFE will only allow a state CCW to substitute for a background check if that state has continuous "real time" updates of their CCW databases with regard to arrests/convictions by its CCW holders. Florida does not do this (it can take months for an arrest or conviction to result in CCW suspension/revocation in FL), so under BATFE rules, you must still have an NICS check done when purchasing from an FFL holder.

brboyer

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
But the BATFE check is free and is not charged anywhere in the country.

starbuck wrote:
What it is saying is that the state of Florida does not require a background check for holders of concealed permits. However, BATFE does. BATFE will only allow a state CCW to substitute for a background check if that state has continuous "real time" updates of their CCW databases with regard to arrests/convictions by its CCW holders. Florida does not do this (it can take months for an arrest or conviction to result in CCW suspension/revocation in FL), so under BATFE rules, you must still have an NICS check done when purchasing from an FFL holder.
The background check isnotdone byBATFE, it's done by FDLE. Florida Statute 790.065 establishes this at a maximum of $8.00.

Also, FDLE will notify local LE if there is an active warrant on the purchaser, plus other "services" deemed appropriate.:uhoh:

acrimsontide

imported post

Our local shop here in Alabama does not charge a fee UNLESS NICS denies the purchase. Then the charge is $25