• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IDAHO OPEN CARRY LOGS

irish_ironsight

Formerly of Ireland, now Martinsburg, WV, West Vir
imported post

Hello there Boy and Girls......

Look I have been keeping an eye on these open carry logs some of you folks are keeping, any chance of just a little more detail in them please.

The reason I ask is because I just got my updated permit and it says "authorised to carry"
If i open carry I can be charged for menacing and or disturnance, dont ask how i can menace anyone with a pistol in a holster.
And if I carry concealed I can be charged with carrying a concealed weapon.

It's complicated, its just our police force covering their own ass again..
But please keep up the good work, May is coming fast and I will be back .

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Out of curiosity, where is your permit issued? It seems to me if you have a permit in your city (country, state? I'm not familiar with Ireland), then you'd be able to carry according to your laws.

Here in Idaho we can pretty much carry anywhere openly without a license, but need a license to carry concealed. OC occasionally gets you funny looks but rarely harrasment. Of course, we live in the Great State of Idaho and have what I consider to be some of the best gun laws in the world....or rather, a lack of restricting gun laws. I just moved to Idaho in June from Indiana (which also has some pretty good laws, but still not as good as here) and the cultural attitude towards firearms was a big consideration in my move.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Irish... if I remember correctly you spend some time each year in northern Idaho... correct or no? And your permit you reference regarding "authorized to carry" is an Irish permit, yes?
Are you asking questions about how things go in Idaho? If so, please specify what you want to know and I'll do my best to answer your questions.

and Indiana... WELCOME to Idaho man!!!! I'm in the Boise area... I actually think we have roughly 15+ on this site from the Boise area now. We'll all have to hook up for shooting or dinner one of these days! Again, Welcome!

Sage of Seattle

imported post

Count me in guys!

I've found that virtually all of the members here at OCDO are very friendly and open; considering my experiences when I went to Virginia and how positive they were, we need to start making a regular meet-up here in Boise as well.

I'll start a new thread on that topic.

And ISquared (irish_ironstight), I think I remember you saying you spend time in northern Idaho as Corsair said; if so, permitless open carry is legal and I believe that permitless concealed carry is legal outside of any town borders, but I'm a little unclear on the latter part.

Try and make a trip down south this time in May if you can, ISquared!

IndianaBoy79

imported post

I highly recommend anyone living in the Boise area to take the class offered by the Ada County Sheriff's Office, "Legal Aspects of Deadly Force". I took it upon arriving in Idaho to fulfill the requirement for my concealed weapons license. I'll admit that I went with the attitude that they would probably feed a lot of nonsense to us, the law as "the cops" see it. I am glad to admit that I was wrong as I only disagreed on some very small points in the class. The class is helpful for open carry as it reviews deadly force laws and where you can carry without a license. I've found most cops I've met in the area and at that class were very supportive of citizens rights and helpful with any questions.

While I know some on this site would take issue with me getting a concealed weapons license (my rights, paperwork, money, blah blah) I think it gives me a great second option if I don't want to open carry for some reason (for instance while I am at work).

Tyoung

imported post

IndianaBoy79 wrote:
While I know some on this site would take issue with me getting a concealed weapons license (my rights, paperwork, money, blah blah) I think it gives me a great second option if I don't want to open carry for some reason (for instance while I am at work).
Not from me. I CC 95% of the time. I just like to read through posts and gain some knowledge. While I agree that OC is a right and having to pay to CC is complete bullshit CC just works better for me.

irish_ironsight

Formerly of Ireland, now Martinsburg, WV, West Vir
imported post

hey there Boys & Girls....

No i wasnt asking questions, I was just commenting on the open carry logs some of you guys post I like that, I was saying to keep up the good work.

Our laws are an ass....where firearms are concerned. In this country if you want a permit you ask the police nicely so they can say no, then you take the police to court and the judges are obliged in law to tell the police to grant a permit, but each officer who is allowed to grant a permit is allowed to enforce such rules as he likes, there are 62 such officers in the country, so 62 different sets of rules.

Like no Glock's because they are black, black is a tactical colour...

Or if a rifle looks like a military style rifle, well you cant have that..

remember guys we are using gun laws form the year 1785 in this country, when we were occupied by the british, so the laws are not in our favour as they have never been changed..

CRAZY