Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Areas to target practice in Pierce County?

  1. #1
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    So, I'm looking for areas that would be in/around Pierce County, namely maybe a max of an hour from the Tacoma area. I have a membership to the Tacoma Sportsman's Club out on Canyon Road, but it is pretty crowded some weekends, and the restrictions on what you can and can't do are somewhat draconian. I'd like to find a place where some people could go and shoot without too many rules, and it's far enough away from other people to where we won't get the police called and get in trouble.

    I have gone up past Greenwater, east of Enumclaw in the past, but that is a ways out, and this time of year, the road is dangerous with snow and ice. There is a place supposedly out around Olympia off exit 104 that is a designated shooting area, but it is busy as well. Still, I plan on checking it out this weekend, weather permitting.

    Can anyone else think of anything, maybe out towards Roy or that area? I know a lot of places have been closed off since 9/11, since a lot of land is actually part of one of the bases around here, and what used to slide before doesn't get allowed any more, as things have gotten much more strict, and the bases have taken up more land.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Puyallup, Washington, USA
    Posts
    54

    Post imported post

    compmanio365 wrote:
    So, I'm looking for areas that would be in/around Pierce County, namely maybe a max of an hour from the Tacoma area. I have a membership to the Tacoma Sportsman's Club out on Canyon Road, but it is pretty crowded some weekends, and the restrictions on what you can and can't do are somewhat draconian. I'd like to find a place where some people could go and shoot without too many rules, and it's far enough away from other people to where we won't get the police called and get in trouble.

    I have gone up past Greenwater, east of Enumclaw in the past, but that is a ways out, and this time of year, the road is dangerous with snow and ice. There is a place supposedly out around Olympia off exit 104 that is a designated shooting area, but it is busy as well. Still, I plan on checking it out this weekend, weather permitting.

    Can anyone else think of anything, maybe out towards Roy or that area? I know a lot of places have been closed off since 9/11, since a lot of land is actually part of one of the bases around here, and what used to slide before doesn't get allowed any more, as things have gotten much more strict, and the bases have taken up more land.
    I enjoy shooting at the Sportsman Club, but I find myself shooting at the Bullseye often. I refuse to shoot at the Marksman. I purchased a 357 from the Marksman and they refused to give me a free range ticket to shoot it after I bought. I will no longer purchase anything from them.



    Preston

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, WA, ,
    Posts
    886

    Post imported post

    .45 1911 wrote:
    I enjoy shooting at the Sportsman Club, but I find myself shooting at the Bullseye often. I refuse to shoot at the Marksman. I purchased a 357 from the Marksman and they refused to give me a free range ticket to shoot it after I bought. I will no longer purchase anything from them.



    Preston
    If that's the only reason you won't buy anything from them in the future, I would reconsider. They make far less percentage on firearms than Bullseye does, just check pricing on the same thing at both places. (e.g. standard Glock 9/.40 @ BE =$499.99, @ Marksman = $479.99) I'd rather pocket the $20 and shoot when and where I prefer. Less "gangsta's" at Marksman too. And the Marksman seems to own more functioning lightbulbs, and a heater.

  4. #4
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
    .45 1911 wrote:
    I enjoy shooting at the Sportsman Club, but I find myself shooting at the Bullseye often. I refuse to shoot at the Marksman. I purchased a 357 from the Marksman and they refused to give me a free range ticket to shoot it after I bought. I will no longer purchase anything from them.



    Preston
    If that's the only reason you won't buy anything from them in the future, I would reconsider. They make far less percentage on firearms than Bullseye does, just check pricing on the same thing at both places. (e.g. standard Glock 9/.40 @ BE =$499.99, @ Marksman = $479.99) I'd rather pocket the $20 and shoot when and where I prefer. Less "gangsta's" at Marksman too. And the Marksman seems to own more functioning lightbulbs, and a heater.
    Agreed.....I have not purchased anything at Bullseye in some time, due to the fact that I bought a gun there that did not work from day one, and they kept insisting it was "my fault" or "wrong ammo". No matter what I did, I could not get that gun to fire. I now refuse to give them my business.

    I was looking more for a forested area out and gone, I know they are around here, but I haven't lived in the area for long enough to know exactly where it would be OK to go shooting at. I will be checking out this shooting pit this weekend and will see how that is, if it's crowded, etc....

  5. #5
    State Researcher dng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,290

    Post imported post

    Sorry, I know this is totally OT, but, have any of you from Pierce County noticed how many times your sheriff's department in featured on Cops? I think I've seen cameras from Copsriding along (or running behind chasing perps) with Pierce County deputies at least 3-4 times.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, WA, ,
    Posts
    886

    Post imported post

    dngreer wrote:
    Sorry, I know this is totally OT, but, have any of you from Pierce County noticed how many times your sheriff's department in featured on Cops? I think I've seen cameras from Copsriding along (or running behind chasing perps) with Pierce County deputies at least 3-4 times.
    Yeah. When Lakewood was covered by the Pierce County Sheriffs Dept contract, COPS liked going there to film. Since Lakewood has sanctioned there own police department, they have done less and less of the COPS filmings (I have a buddy who is a Sergent w/Lakewood PD, and I've seen him on scene on a couple of episodes). The South Hill area is a popular area for them to come and film as well, but since there was an incident when the COPS cameras were along when they "caught" (and ended up tasing in the process) the wrong guy and a lawsuit ensued. The main piece of evidence that they guys attorney used was the episode of COPS (which had already aired) which provided a perfect play-by-play of the events that night. He won the lawsuit.

    The funny thing, is that they still air that show all the time.

  7. #7
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
    dngreer wrote:
    Sorry, I know this is totally OT, but, have any of you from Pierce County noticed how many times your sheriff's department in featured on Cops? I think I've seen cameras from Copsriding along (or running behind chasing perps) with Pierce County deputies at least 3-4 times.
    Yeah. When Lakewood was covered by the Pierce County Sheriffs Dept contract, COPS liked going there to film. Since Lakewood has sanctioned there own police department, they have done less and less of the COPS filmings (I have a buddy who is a Sergent w/Lakewood PD, and I've seen him on scene on a couple of episodes). The South Hill area is a popular area for them to come and film as well, but since there was an incident when the COPS cameras were along when they "caught" (and ended up tasing in the process) the wrong guy and a lawsuit ensued. The main piece of evidence that they guys attorney used was the episode of COPS (which had already aired) which provided a perfect play-by-play of the events that night. He won the lawsuit.

    The funny thing, is that they still air that show all the time.
    Since that lawsuit, I believe Cops is no longer allowed to film with Lakewood PD. I thought Tacoma and Pierce County said the same thing, but I'm not 100% positive. I know LPD said no more Cops though.....

  8. #8
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    I know I've seen them with Pierce County Sheriff's Deputies no less than twice.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    39

    Post imported post

    compmanio365 wrote:
    I will be checking out this shooting pit this weekend and will see how that is, if it's crowded, etc....
    Are you shooting at the capital forest pit this weekend?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769

    Post imported post

    How far can one shoot in the Capital Forrest Pit? 500 yds, or less? More would be better. My Sharps needs some work.

  11. #11
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    BIll98501 wrote:
    compmanio365 wrote:
    I will be checking out this shooting pit this weekend and will see how that is, if it's crowded, etc....
    Are you shooting at the capital forest pit this weekend?
    Not sure what it's called, it's out off exit 104 then Black Lake Blvd exit, then you drive out for quite a ways until you get to the pit. No idea what it's called, other than it's an official designated shooting area, so I won't be risking getting into trouble with a forest ranger or something, like I would going up to Greenwater. I'm sure it's very nasty with snow and ice at this point up there anyhow, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Mainsail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Silverdale, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,532

    Post imported post

    There’s a common area shooting pit on Rt 8 to McCleary. This is on Simpson Paper Co. land. It has been closed off and on and I think the old hunters who have used it their whole lives keep pulling the signs down. It’s a little more private than the Waddle Creek one. If you’re going down that way it might be good to drive over and check this one first. The gate is almost always closed but you can walk around it, and then bear to the left. Don’t shoot due west because of houses, or back towards the freeway (duh). If you see a huge yellow No Shooting sign nailed up on one of the trees just beyond the gate; that means it’s closed again. These are the GPS coordinates, if you don’t have a GPS just copy/paste this right into google maps: N 47° 03.579 W 123° 10.792



    I might head down that way myself this weekend.


    EDIT: How about I try to link it?

  13. #13
    Regular Member Johnny Law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Puget Sound, ,
    Posts
    462

    Post imported post

    Mainsail wrote:

    I might head down that way myself this weekend.

    If they see you driving up in that "cruiser", you'll probably scare them all away!
    If you have to fight, do not fear death. We will all die one day, so fight skillfully and bravely! And if it is to be that you die, then at least go to God proudly. Meet him as the proud warrior that you are, and not as a sniveling coward. Nobody lives forever.

  14. #14
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    Sweet, I'll have to see about stopping by there first maybe, I figure I'll head out that way Saturday morning to check both out. I know there was one point where people were going to meet out there and then it got canceled cause they shut it down.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Mainsail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Silverdale, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,532

    Post imported post

    Johnny Law wrote:
    Mainsail wrote:

    I might head down that way myself this weekend.

    If they see you driving up in that "cruiser", you'll probably scare them all away!
    Heh, when the gate is closed I park up in the weeds a bit facing down the road. It slows down the traffic on Rt 8.

    I'll be selling it shortly anyway.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Puyallup, Washington, USA
    Posts
    54

    Post imported post

    compmanio365 wrote:
    G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
    .45 1911 wrote:
    I enjoy shooting at the Sportsman Club, but I find myself shooting at the Bullseye often. I refuse to shoot at the Marksman. I purchased a 357 from the Marksman and they refused to give me a free range ticket to shoot it after I bought. I will no longer purchase anything from them.



    Preston
    If that's the only reason you won't buy anything from them in the future, I would reconsider. They make far less percentage on firearms than Bullseye does, just check pricing on the same thing at both places. (e.g. standard Glock 9/.40 @ BE =$499.99, @ Marksman = $479.99) I'd rather pocket the $20 and shoot when and where I prefer. Less "gangsta's" at Marksman too. And the Marksman seems to own more functioning lightbulbs, and a heater.
    Agreed.....I have not purchased anything at Bullseye in some time, due to the fact that I bought a gun there that did not work from day one, and they kept insisting it was "my fault" or "wrong ammo". No matter what I did, I could not get that gun to fire. I now refuse to give them my business.

    I was looking more for a forested area out and gone, I know they are around here, but I haven't lived in the area for long enough to know exactly where it would be OK to go shooting at. I will be checking out this shooting pit this weekend and will see how that is, if it's crowded, etc....
    G20 and Compmanio,

    Sorry, guess I am stubborn. I spend a lot on firearms and ammo. I will not give the Marksman another dime. I think he is a cheap Son of a Gun. Giving me a free range ticket with the purchase of a gun costs him ZERO. I get when I buy guns at Bullseye. I have been nothing but pleased with the Bullseye. I love the weapons I have purchased there, the gunsmithing has been great.

    Can't convince me. It's not about the money, I can afford the range fee, it's the principle. The way the owner talks down to me, I really don't appreciate it.



    sorry.

    .45 1911


  17. #17
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    .45 1911 wrote:
    G20 and Compmanio,

    Sorry, guess I am stubborn. I spend a lot on firearms and ammo. I will not give the Marksman another dime. I think he is a cheap Son of a Gun. Giving me a free range ticket with the purchase of a gun costs him ZERO. I get when I buy guns at Bullseye. I have been nothing but pleased with the Bullseye. I love the weapons I have purchased there, the gunsmithing has been great.

    Can't convince me. It's not about the money, I can afford the range fee, it's the principle. The way the owner talks down to me, I really don't appreciate it.



    sorry.

    .45 1911

    Hey, we are just sharing our side of how we see things.....it was not my intention to convince anyone of anything, at least. If you want to shop at Bullseye, great. I feel like when I have gone there, I have gotten very rude service before, the prices are way above standard, and the quality of everything is quite low. That's why I won't shop there. If you have had a different encounter, great, have fun, go shopping. I just have had a different experience, that's all.


  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    39

    Post imported post

    compmanio365 wrote:
    Not sure what it's called, it's out off exit 104 then Black Lake Blvd exit, then you drive out for quite a ways until you get to the pit. No idea what it's called, other than it's an official designated shooting area, so I won't be risking getting into trouble with a forest ranger or something, like I would going up to Greenwater. I'm sure it's very nasty with snow and ice at this point up there anyhow, which is what I'm trying to avoid.
    Its all a shooting area in the capital forest. Heres the address for the pit where everyone goes, be careful you dont get shot. I have been there when people started shooting while people were still setting up targets. And I know a guy who drove out a guy who shot in the leg setting up targets.

    11025 waddell creek road sw, olympia wa 98513

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    9

    Post imported post

    Exit 104 is the 101 FWY North. If you continue sout to exit 88 you can head west to the Evergreen Gun Club or Capitol Forest. The area is well marked and easy to get to.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    9

    Post imported post

    Duh! should have read further prior to posting. six one way half a dozen the other.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Puyallup, Washington, USA
    Posts
    54

    Post imported post

    Compmanio,

    10/4, I have had different experiences also. Just sharing my perspective. I have found the owner of the Marksman to be pompus.



    merry Christmas

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    O-town, Washington, USA
    Posts
    59

    Post imported post

    I used to shoot at the Marksman all the time. Ive enjoyed it every time but once. Usually, as a regular customer, I could go in, buy my ammo and get on the range in no time flat. Sometimes they're actually even nice enough to waive my range use fee. Marksman was nice because the range is well regulated and if you're being unsafe they'll jerk your ass out.

    I only had one bad experience where I was shooting with a friend and we were doing some rapid-fire drills. Now, I had been told by every staff member that rapid-fire was okay as long as you were not reckless about it.

    Well as we're shooting, an employee, who I'll dub as "Ray King of the Range " comes running into the range shouting at us. He quickly pulls at my friend and shouts, "ARE YOU A COMMISSIONED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER?!" and he responds, "I used to be." Then he looks at me and shouts the same to which I respond, "No, not yet." Well Ray King of the Range starts shouting about how since we arent officers we cannot rapid fire and that was store policy. Iapologized andtried to cordially explain to him that I was told anyone could rapid fire as long as they were being safe and the only law enforcement restriction was draw-and-fire drills. So good ole' Ray King of the range got really pissy with me and started saying he was in charge and he could have me removed from the range if he wanted and yadayadayada... He then began shouting about how my rounds werericocheting off the ground and I need to put my target farther out. :quirky(I was shooting at about 21ft)

    So, with a sour taste in my mouth I decided I am no longer interested in shooting that day. I pulled my target in which, surprise surprise had a nice 10ring grouping.

    Anyway, I havent been to the Marksman in some time, mostly because its in Puyallup and Im in Lacey (Where the Evergreen Sportsman range lets LEOs shoot for free and provides free targets),I'll still shoot there,but if Ray King of The Range is workin the desk, I'll pass.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    O-town, Washington, USA
    Posts
    59

    Post imported post

    compmanio365 wrote:
    BIll98501 wrote:
    compmanio365 wrote:
    I will be checking out this shooting pit this weekend and will see how that is, if it's crowded, etc....
    Are you shooting at the capital forest pit this weekend?
    Not sure what it's called, it's out off exit 104 then Black Lake Blvd exit, then you drive out for quite a ways until you get to the pit. No idea what it's called, other than it's an official designated shooting area, so I won't be risking getting into trouble with a forest ranger or something, like I would going up to Greenwater. I'm sure it's very nasty with snow and ice at this point up there anyhow, which is what I'm trying to avoid.
    I shootat the pitall the time when I want to rifle/shotgun shoot. I would estimate you have about 250-300yds at maximum distance, but then again Im not that great at long distance gauging.

    For first timers, it's really easy to pass so you have to keep an eye out, I reccommend going with someone whos been there for your 1st time.

    Its nice because theres not a whole lot of shooters usually, but when there are, a lot of them seem to be the type who go there simply because ranges wont allow them on the line.

    Your best bet is to go out and set up all your targets for the day then shoot, because some morons dont understand when to ceasefire.

    Also, the Motorbikers and ATV riders have been downrange trying to ride their vehicles up the large rocky backstop, or they will ride right in front of your line of fire, so you need to watch out.

    Other than that, it's a fun place to shoot. Especially if you have an old TV or washing machine you want to shoot up.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    38

    Post imported post

    I have been rolling through the posts all day and decided once I had seen this post that I would throw down a registration and let you all know how my last experiences have been.

    First I would like to say that I have not been to the Marksmen because of all of the bad reviews I have been given from several people I shoot with regularly. I currently have a membership tot he range at BullsEye and have never found it to be very gangsta' However, I would like to note to people that on several occasions I have been on the line with people that are not practicing safety in that they will consistently clear jams and check loads without keeping their guns pointed downrange. I find this to be unsettling because we only have a piece of plywood between lanes...

    Overall I do like the system there and it seems like most of the people there have their heads screwed on right. I would recommend it to a person looking for an indoor range that is in the heart of tacoma, easily accessible.

    On my next note I would like to remind everyone of my favorite gun shop around...I have been to many but prices have beaten everyone ina 30 mile radius to Tacoma, Mary's Pistols on Tyler Street in Tacoma. From the first time I stepped into this shop I was greeted and treated like a lifelong friend, very nice people and will bend over backwards to get you what you need. Upon purchasing my first pistol I could have easily grabbed 60 different guns and gotten a history of makes, models, and styles that was paramount to making a well-informed decision. *Note: they also carry rifles and shotguns* I enjoy it especially because the service received feels personal...BullsEye is a little too discount mart feeling when im downstairs...

    I would recommend going to Mary's over any other business I have been to...I had the money for a pistol three days before Christmas and then found out Mary's would be closed until January 3rd, 2008...I waited until they opened their doors on the 3rd to buy from them when the pistol I wanted was selling at BullsEye and I could have gotten it at any time...I'm glad I did to. I saved $45.00 off the price of the pistol too!

    Check them out and let me know what you think!

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, WA, ,
    Posts
    886

    Post imported post

    scilence wrote:
    On my next note I would like to remind everyone of my favorite gun shop around...I have been to many but prices have beaten everyone ina 30 mile radius to Tacoma, Mary's Pistols on Tyler Street in Tacoma. From the first time I stepped into this shop I was greeted and treated like a lifelong friend, very nice people and will bend over backwards to get you what you need. Upon purchasing my first pistol I could have easily grabbed 60 different guns and gotten a history of makes, models, and styles that was paramount to making a well-informed decision. *Note: they also carry rifles and shotguns* I enjoy it especially because the service received feels personal...BullsEye is a little too discount mart feeling when im downstairs...

    I would recommend going to Mary's over any other business I have been to...I had the money for a pistol three days before Christmas and then found out Mary's would be closed until January 3rd, 2008...I waited until they opened their doors on the 3rd to buy from them when the pistol I wanted was selling at BullsEye and I could have gotten it at any time...I'm glad I did to. I saved $45.00 off the price of the pistol too!

    Check them out and let me know what you think!
    As there needs to be opposition in all things: I have been there about half a dozen times. I will not be back after my last visit. As I choose not to post the story, PM me if you would like more details (as many have done). I do support your decision to finda small shop that you like, and support them. I hope we will never see the day when shops like Mary's, the Marksman, and Ben's Loans in Renton, will be closed in succumbing to shops like Cabela's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •