• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW on UTA

guntalker

imported post

I was just looking at the UTA web site and noticed rider rule number 26:

http://www.rideuta.com/ridingUTA/riderRules.aspx

Dangerous weapons are prohibited on UTA buses unless under the direct control of a law enforcement officer or private security personnel licensed by the State.

WOW! Does anyone have any insight into this. I thought UTA was PUBLIC transportation.

This is what I sent to the UTA via their web site:

I have a question regarding rider rules number 26. As per rideuta.com, rule 26 states the following:

Dangerous weapons are prohibited on UTA buses unless under the direct control of a law enforcement officer or private security personnel licensed by the State.

As per Utah Code 76-10-523. Persons exempt from weapons laws. -- Part 2, any person with a concealed firearm permit is exempt from weapons laws except for those areas that are deemed secure (sanitized portion of the airport, courthouses, jails, and a few other places). Vehicles operated by the UTA are not part of this list.

The Utah Bureau of Criminal Investigation's web site (http://bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFLCarry.html), the state agency that issues the permits states the following:

It is lawful for a person with a concealed firearm permit to board a bus or a train or enter a terminal with a concealed firearm upon their person or effects. This also applies to law enforcement officers or commercial security personnel with firearms used in their employment.

It appears to me that UTA's restriction on concealed firearms permit holders bringing firearms on UTA vehicles is against the law and should be clarified on your website that concealed firearms permit holders are exempt from the rule as are security guards and law enforcement officers.

Thanks for your consideration in this matter.

Comments Anyone?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

I think this a great letter! I have ridden on Trax a few times, and have never noticed any signs prohibiting weapons. Their rules mean nothing to me, unless one of the "UTA cops" asked me to disarm. Then the nasty letters would fly!