• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Utah

guntalker

imported post

Utah Code states the following:

76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(a) in or on a vehicle;
(b) on any public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.
(2) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.

In the context of a glock...when is it deemed unloaded? If I have a CCW can I carry it loaded?

pkbites

imported post

According to the Open Carry map/Utah info:

Utah allows unlicensed open carry of a firearm that is at least 2 actions from firing. For example, a semi-auto may have a full mag but the chamber must be empty. Permit holder may open carry as well, but their firearms may be fully loaded.

So, if this is correct, you could carry your Glock openly, magazine loadedbut with an empty chamber. Unless you have a CCW. Then you could carry fully loaded.

IMHO, carrying with an empty chamber is better than not carrying at all. Just train a bit with drawing and jacking a round in.

Didn't you see the map on the home page? Click on each state for info.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Even better so... This next Legislative session we should get thru unrestricted car carry. Meaning the car will be an extention of your home. You should then be able to carry loaded in your car even as a non-permit holder. This would also mean that there would not be any rules that would dictate where and how to store the gun in the car. You could then even store it in the glove box or the console.

If this happens we will be GOLDEN:celebrate

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Even better so... This next Legislative session we should get thru unrestricted car carry. Meaning the car will be an extention of your home. You should then be able to carry loaded in your car even as a non-permit holder. This would also mean that there would not be any rules that would dictate where and how to store the gun in the car. You could then even store it in the glove box or the console.

Yup - you guys in Utah are the only inter-mountain state to criminalize unlicensed (loaded) car carry!

combatcarry

imported post

Iprefer Nevada's carrying within vehicles law. They allow loaded carry, concealed or open of any PISTOL. They prohibit loaded carry of a rifle. For safety sake I would like to see Utah's definition of "loaded" within a vehicle remain the same for rifles.

I will be surprised if the Utah law changes. The argument is always that the Utah CCW is easily obtainable, and for officer's safety people shouldn't be allowed to carry a loaded gun within reach (without a permit).

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

combatcarry wrote:
I will be surprised if the Utah law changes. The argument is always that the Utah CCW is easily obtainable, and for officer's safety people shouldn't be allowed to carry a loaded gun within reach (without a permit).
Laws don't just change by themeselves - people must fight for them to be changed.

Shaolin

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:

This will be great, if it happens. Anyone know when it goes into effect?

tarzan1888

imported post

Shaolin wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:

WWWwwooooooo.

Hold on a little.

First there must needs be a bill to this affect, then the bill must needs be voted on by both the state senate and house and then it must needs be signed by the Governor.

It seems to me the last time this bill came up it was apposed by many who had their permits as they felt that it demeaned the value of said permits.

I too feel that this wouldbegood for those who live in or travel to Utah, but as for now we can only hope.

Tarzan

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
Shaolin wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:

WWWwwooooooo.

Hold on a little.

First there must needs be a bill to this affect, then the bill must needs be voted on by both the state senate and house and then it must needs be signed by the Governor.

It seems to me the last time this bill came up it was apposed by many who had their permits as they felt that it demeaned the value of said permits.

I too feel that this wouldbegood for those who live in or travel to Utah, but as for now we can only hope.

Tarzan
Ditto

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

packingmama wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:

Tarzan
Ditto

Please do more than just than hope, or even pray. Though both are good ideas and a place to start.

NOW is the time to contact (snail mail is BEST right now, phone call or fax is ok, email better than nothing) your legislators letting them know how important it is to you that they vote to support your RKBA this session.

NOW is the time to sign up GOUtah! alerts to help be informed during the session.

NOW is the time to set aside some amount of time, mentally at least, to attend a hearing or two at the capital to show support for your RKBA. And as I always advise for such things, PLEASE wear you "urban cammo" to such events: if at all possible, business causal or business formal, at the very least a pair of jeans with a PLAIN polo shirt; please avoid fatigues and other cammos, T-shirts, and baseball caps.

NOW is the time to set aside an evening, literally, to attend the neighborhood causases of the political party of your choice. These will be held Tuesday March 25th, starting, I believe, at 7:00 pm. Start committing a few friends and neighbors who live in your precinct to attend with you and either vote for you as a county and/or State delegate to your party, or to help you support another strongly pro-RKBA delegate. Start encouraging gun owners in other precincts to do likewise.

Give serious thought to the party caucas you choose to attend. In many cases, having some influence in the party of the incumbant legislators in your area will give you more pull than being involved with a party that might be more pro-gun, but isn't likely to win the next election.

For extra credit, start looking now for good men and women who might be encouraged to run for the legislature--if your current incumbant is not good on guns--or prepare to assist a good, pro-gun incumbant with his re-election campaign.

We didn't arrive where we are through simple hope. It was a lot of work and if we can spread that work around among more bodies, it is easier on everyone.