• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CNN: 2/3 of Americans believe in the RKBA

sjhipple

imported post

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/16/guns.poll/
Nearly two-thirds of Americans say they believe the Constitution guarantees each person the right to own a gun, according to a poll released Sunday.

In all, 65 percent said they thought the Constitution ensures that right, and 31 percent said it did not. The question had a sampling error of plus-or-minus 3 points.

Men and people living in rural areas were most likely to say the Constitution guarantees the right to own a gun.

Nearly three quarters of men (72 percent) said they believed so, versus 26 percent who did not. More than half (58 percent) of women said they believed so, versus slightly more than a third (35 percent) who did not.

That question had a sampling error of plus-or-minus 4.5 points.

Among rural dwellers, 73 percent said they agreed, versus 64 percent and only half (50 percent) of city dwellers who thought the same.

I'm disappointed that the numbers on our side were so low. This should be a 90% to 10% kind of thing.

Looks like our biggest room for growth is among women. Take your lady friends shooting, boys! Almost without exception, they love it!

sjhipple

imported post

This article was on my mind when I stumbled across this quote

"No man's knowledge here can go beyond his experience." --John A. Locke

It's our job to give them experience.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

There are two kinds of knowledge, received and empirical. One we shouldn't trust and the other we aren't trusted to relate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empirical http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theoretical

Between them stands

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability
Falsifiability (or refutability or testability) is the logical possibility that an assertion can be shown false by an observation or a physical experiment. That something is "falsifiable" does not mean it is false; rather, it means that it is capable of being disproved under hypothetical circumstances. Falsifiability is an important concept in science and the philosophy of science.
I would extend the last sentence to include rhetoric.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Polls: not reliable or accurate; whether they "help" or "hurt" our cause. It's impossible to say what the real number of 2nd amendment supporters actually is.

imperialism2024

imported post

dngreer wrote:
Polls: not reliable or accurate; whether they "help" or "hurt" our cause. It's impossible to say what the real number of 2nd amendment supporters actually is.
I think it might be a fair idea for the mods to start using that arbitrary thread locking and post deletion ability to stop the recent rash of "polls about guns on other websites" threads. :idea:

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I would suggest all external polls be listed in one sticky.
Good idea. That way they will not clog up the regular forums.

sjhipple

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
I think it might be a fair idea for the mods to start using that arbitrary thread locking and post deletion ability to stop the recent rash of "polls about guns on other websites" threads. :idea:
There haven't been that many and they're all titled with the word "poll" in them so they're easily avoidable. I say leave 'em. It helps us win those polls online and I think that makes a small difference in our fight for hearts and minds.

imperialism2024

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
There haven't been that many and they're all titled with the word "poll" in them so they're easily avoidable. I say leave 'em. It helps us win those polls online and I think that makes a small difference in our fight for hearts and minds.

Let's be honest. Is anyone going to change their mind and embrace guns just because of a poll? The anti-gun media will continue to propagate the "evils" of guns whether they have a poll that says so or not. We're just deteriorating the quality of this forum, which is counterproductive to the goals of the mods... If a member can be effectively banned for being argumentative, surely there should be some regulation regarding turning OCDO into some sort of game show.

sjhipple

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Let's be honest. Is anyone going to change their mind and embrace guns just because of a poll?

That's a double-barreled question, but the answer to the first part of it is YES! Most people don't think about issues too much and have lazy ways of forming opinions. Argumentum ad populum works for the mindless. Once they form an opinion, they become invested in it and rarely change it. Dumb people vote too.

Keep the polls, label them, don't open them if you don't like it.

DeltaII5

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/16/guns.poll/
Nearly two-thirds of Americans say they believe the Constitution guarantees each person the right to own a gun, according to a poll released Sunday.

In all, 65 percent said they thought the Constitution ensures that right, and 31 percent said it did not. The question had a sampling error of plus-or-minus 3 points.

Men and people living in rural areas were most likely to say the Constitution guarantees the right to own a gun.

Nearly three quarters of men (72 percent) said they believed so, versus 26 percent who did not. More than half (58 percent) of women said they believed so, versus slightly more than a third (35 percent) who did not.

That question had a sampling error of plus-or-minus 4.5 points.

Among rural dwellers, 73 percent said they agreed, versus 64 percent and only half (50 percent) of city dwellers who thought the same.

I'm disappointed that the numbers on our side were so low. This should be a 90% to 10% kind of thing.

Looks like our biggest room for growth is among women. Take your lady friends shooting, boys! Almost without exception, they love it!

Don't overlook how the sampling was done.

We are constantly hearing polls here in PA that just don't make sense. Then when some research was put into it we found it the only places that were polled were in the inner city. They specifically targeted people they knew would answer in their favor.