• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flying out of Tucson International

PavePusher

imported post

I'm flying from Tucson to Salt Lake City this weekend. Does anyone know where theno-carry line startsat the Tucson airport? I looked over their website, but can't seem to find anything. Unless I am notified otherwise, or I see a sign posted, I am planning to unload the gun in the car, keeping mag and 2 spares in side pouch, andcase the gun either at the check-in counter or ina bathroom stalljust prior. Mags will then also go into the suitcase.

I know the regs at SLC airport (do they have the illegal signs down yet?), and plan to re-arm in the bathroom immediately after luggage claim.

Any suggestions? TIA!

P.S. Am cross-posting this to the Utah section.

bbvk05

imported post

My CCW instructor told me that AZ state law says that you cannot carry a gun within 50 feet of a secure area, or in a secure area. I assume that the checkpoint starts the secure area. This is all heresay of course.... you could call the airport.

lostone1413

imported post

Don't know about Tucson airport. I have carried at Sky Harbor. You can carry until you go through the detectors. Least ways I've always carried that way. I've never heard you couldn't carry within 50 feet of the detector. You just can't carry in the secure area that is past the detectors. Least that is the way Sky Harbor is. Bet no different in Tucson

bbvk05

imported post

you should be good to carry in the airport. The 50 feet thing was probably just bs from my ccw instructor, I cannot find it anywhere else.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My CCW instructor told us you can't even have it in the car in the airport parking lot. Also BS... Naturally it must be, since it is of course legal to check in to luggage. The regulations state it's not allowed in the secure area only.

I OC'd today at a bank for the first time and it also became the first time I was ever confronted about it. Wasn't asked to leave, but I took the woman's comments to heart. I explained to her that I didn't carry to make anyone feel uncomfortable, and that I was sorry she was uncomfortable, but I am more concerned about my own safety than keeping the sheeple around me from feeling uncomfortable.

I figure it's going to be the same first time I carry at an airport. My father is coming to visit for the superbowl and when I pick him up in baggage claim, I'll be OC then. I was anxious before going into the bank today, and figure I'll be equally as anxious when I go into the airport.

Anyone ever been confronted for OC at an airport?

bbvk05

imported post

No OC to the airport, but I cc'd recently to pick up a bring who was flying in from mexico just a couple of days ago. I was wearing a blackhawk OWB serpa belt hoster and just a long polo shirt hanging over the top of it.

Basically, I was printing like benjamin franklin. When I was waiting at the baggage check this old cop who was walking by stops and gives me a really hard stare in the eyes for a good 5 seconds, then says "do you have a permit? and you know exactly what im talking about".

I say "yes I have a ccw permit would you like to see it?" (i did not want to be evasive considering the requirement that you provide you permit to police if asked.)

he says "no thanks" and walks on. no radio report and he did not continue to watch me. In fact, he went outside for a little while.

Im pretty sure he could tell I had a gun, then gave me a close look to make sure I was not trying to do anything stupid. The starting at me was intentional, I think he was trying to get me to panic if I had crimminal intentions.

Thus, I believe that the police at the airport are specifically trained to remain cool but cautious with open carry. Like almost everywhere else in town I think the cops will keep their heads.

BTW, I entered terminal 4 from the parking garage... no anti-gun signage anywhere.