• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC in NC

revis_jonathan

State Researcher
imported post

I'm a SC resident with a SC-CWP. I often conceal carry in NC, and have never open carried. I'm interested in doing so, but am hesitant about what reactions I may get from LE. SC does not allow OC with I pray they will change one day.

Any suggestions to a newbie to OC in NC? Anything I need to know about before I OC for the first time? Lastly, what are the odds i'll land myself in jail for it because I ran into a LEO that just wants someone to arrest?

revis_jonathan

State Researcher
imported post

I'm only interested mainly in the Charlotte area and western NC, but thanks for the heads up about those cities. You are talking within the city limits correct?

revis_jonathan

State Researcher
imported post

.40 Cal - What should I expect while OC-ing? From people and from LE.

How often have you been questioned about OC-ing?

If I am questioned by anyone what law(s) should I be able to quote to relieve the situation?

I like to know the law by heart so that if questioned I have complete confidence with an officer. Since I'm a non-resident I want to be absolutely sure before OC-ing.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

revis_jonathan wrote:
.40 Cal - What should I expect while OC-ing? From people and from LE.

How often have you been questioned about OC-ing?

If I am questioned by anyone what law(s) should I be able to quote to relieve the situation?

I like to know the law by heart so that if questioned I have complete confidence with an officer. Since I'm a non-resident I want to be absolutely sure before OC-ing.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/Statutes/statutestoc.pl

There is no distinction between OC from a local or a non resident. An American is an American. That said, LEO with little or no education on OC will try to use the out of state crap on you the way they did to me in MI (lost my Glock 17 to a redneck cop, but that was a concealed carry issue). I get questioned less than you think about OC, but I may get it once a week. The law in NC doesn't state that it is legal to OC. It just doesn't state that it is illegal. Just remember that if a cop questions you about OC, you haven't broken any laws. DOn't cave under intimidation, but don't get mouthy.