• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trip to Reston, Va

cdunlop

imported post

Have a friend that is traveling to Reston,Va this weekend. I am not 100% sure, is Reston part Of DC or is it VA? Any info would be appreciated.

LEO 229

imported post

I think the big clue would be xxx, VA... ;)

Reston is actually a bit far from DC.

McLean, Arlington, and Alexandria are near the border of DC.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Despite the fact some folks want to be wise guys, it may help to know that the parts of DC that were originally sculpted from Virginia, and which STILL show on some maps, were ceded back to Virginia.

Nothing west of the Potomac is DC.

Thundar

imported post

Reston is indeed part of Virginia, but there are a lot of Federal gotcha zones in Northern VA. around D.C. Most, but not all are fairly obvious.

thebrotha167

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Reston is indeed part of Virginia, but there are a lot of Federal gotcha zones in Northern VA. around D.C. Most, but not all are fairly obvious.
What I think would be nice is if there was some type of interactive map system that showed, on a street level, what areas would be prohibited, based on the current statutes (I.E school zones, ect) I think this would help out people who are hesitant to carry due to fear of inadvertantly violating the prohibited carry statutes.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Tess wrote:
Despite the fact some folks want to be wise guys, it may help to know that the parts of DC that were originally sculpted from Virginia, and which STILL show on some maps, were ceded back to Virginia.

Nothing west of the Potomac is DC.
Yes. That part of DC which was in Virginia and completed the square, is now known as Arlington.. named after Robert E. Lee's mansion which overlooked Washington on the Virginia side.

W.E.G.

imported post

Do note that there is a small area on the west side of the river, which includes about a quarter-mile of the GW Parkway, and thirty yards of asphaltimmediately west of the FrancisScott Key bridge (up to the boundary-marker obelisk),which IS part of the District of Columbia.

While we are on the topic, do note too that Ronald Reagan National Airport is NOT in Washington DC whatsoever. The airport is entirely in within Arlington County, Virginia. An offender who commits a crime at the airport, will have his first court appearance in the Arlington County General District Court and/or the Arlington County Circuit Court. An offender charged with a violation of federal law for conduct committed at the airport, will have his court appearance in the City of Alexandria, at the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.

There is no airport serving commercial civilian air traffic anywhere in Washington DC.

See http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/d/d7/DC_satellite_image.jpg

dc.jpg

mobeewan

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
Do note that there is a small area on the west side of the river, which includes about a quarter-mile of the GW Parkway, and thirty yards of asphaltimmediately west of the FrancisScott Key bridge (up to the boundary-marker obelisk),which IS part of the District of Columbia.
The area is a park which is an Island in the river. The border between Virginia and Maryland or DC is the Virginia shoreline. If you are standing in the Patomic River or aboard any vessel or water craft which is on the Patomic River or standing on a Island which is in the river you are no longer in Virginia and subject to the laws of either Maryland or DC. In this case the Island mentioned is part of DC. This is the reason I will not canoe on the Patomic River downstream of West Virginia. I can't carry my pistol there. :cuss:

cREbralFIX

imported post

Carry concealed and nobody will know. You certainly won't end up like Danbus, who had guns pointed at him.