Thread: McCain ad

Post imported post

While perusing the "Long Gun Open Carry Get Together in Hampton Roads" thread
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/6876.html

I noticed at the bottom a political ad for John McCain, payed for by "John McCain 2008". I havent looked around extensivly to see it again, but I am on often, and I had though that the banners on the site were random, usually for ringtones, drivecleaners, and other staples of internet advertising (I am not sure if this ad will be replicated when others view the page). Is this being placed with permission of opencarry.org? Or was this done by the server/ other outsider. While I salute his record, and agree with a number of his views, I am surprised to find a pro-specific candidate ad on opencarry.org.

Edited for clarity

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

I don't know how the ads get here maybe John can elaborate. I saw one to impeach VP Cheney. I just click on one now and then to get some money for OCDO.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Who cares what the banner is for... if a banner ad can make up your mind about a candidate, you have other issues to deal with...:?

It is advertising just like anything else, and I could almost certainly tell you with confidence that McCain had no idea to put it on this site inparticular, and they probably don't even know its here.

Post imported post

Wow I did not even know that this site had ads. :shock:

I use Firefox with adblock so I never see any banner ads anymore. I have used it for several years now. I guess I have forgotten what it was like to use IE.

State Researcher

Post imported post

vt357 wrote:
    Wow I did not even know that this site had ads. :shock:

I use Firefox with adblock so I never see any banner ads anymore. I have used it for several years now. I guess I have forgotten what it was like to use IE.
    I also use firefox, but I see ads, maybe an update is in order...

Post imported post

openryan wrote:
    Who cares what the banner is for... if a banner ad can make up your mind about a candidate, you have other issues to deal with...:?

It is advertising just like anything else, and I could almost certainly tell you with confidence that McCain had no idea to put it on this site inparticular, and they probably don't even know its here.
    It certainly is not going to change anyone's mind (for someone influenced by a banner ad would certainly change it again to someone else in the year till the election), but rather it is an issue of whether opencarry.org has taken money to promote a candidate. While I agree that McCain has no idea that the ad was on the site, the question is did opencarry.org?

State Researcher

Post imported post

samdavisrises wrote:
    openryan wrote:

It certainly is not going to change anyone's mind (for someone influenced by a banner ad would certainly change it again to someone else in the year till the election), but rather it is an issue of whether packing.org has taken money to promote a candidate. While I agree that McCain has no idea that the ad was on the site, the question is did packing.org?
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the ads are supported by google, and that google puts the advertisements on the site, based on what the site is about, that is why there are a lot of gun ads, and it is somewhat political, so I would expect this type of ad to come up from time to time.

However, I don't think they tell you exactly what ad's will be placed in the banners...

Obviously, McCain paid for the ad, they paid google, and google places the ads on sites, and those sites get money for ads/clicks, so if you divide all the sites that have this ad, and the money paid for it, I guess in turn OCDO gets a small, small party of what McCain paid for the ad, as long as the requirements are met.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

samdavisrises wrote:
    Is this being placed with permission of packing.org?
    Huh?

Post imported post

samdavisrises wrote:
    it is an issue of whether packing.org has taken money to promote a candidate. While I agree that McCain has no idea that the ad was on the site, the question is did packing.org?
    Huh?

Post imported post

"Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the ads are supported by google, and that google puts the advertisements on the site, based on what the site is about, that is why there are a lot of gun ads, and it is somewhat political, so I would expect this type of ad to come up from time to time.

However, I don't think they tell you exactly what ad's will be placed in the banners...

Obviously, McCain paid for the ad, they paid google, and google places the ads on sites, and those sites get money for ads/clicks, so if you divide all the sites that have this ad, and the money paid for it, I guess in turn OCDO gets a small, small party of what McCain paid for the ad, as long as the requirements are met."

Thank you, Openryan, you have put the matter better than I. While I assume, like you, that these are google ads, and are merely a matter of course to offset the maintainance of the site, I am simply raising the question of whether or not this might have been an agreed upon ad that opencarry.org took money to place specifically, rather than a random ad in the google-ads rotation.

I realize that I am to some degree making mountains of molehills, and do not object to the ad, I am merely curious as to whether there or not the PTB knew that it was there. I trust that the computer word-analysis programs know better than to put a Hillary ad here. :P

In conclusion, I an not criticizing, merely curious as to the degree of human involvement in the ad-placing process.

Post imported post

I trust that the computer word-analysis programs know better than to put a Hillary ad here.

I needn't have worried; when I reloaded the thread, I found a "Stop Hillary-Care" ad at the top of the page

Post imported post

samdavisrises wrote:
    I am simply raising the question of whether or not this might have been an agreed upon ad that packing.org took money to place specifically
    Go post thisquestion at Packing.org then.

Post imported post

Can a mod move this to the general forum to avoid doubleposting it.

Thank you for noting Mike; I had posted this by simply starting a new thread, but it would serve better in another forum.

Post imported post

samdavisrises wrote:
    Can a mod move this to the general forum to avoid doubleposting it.

Thank you for noting Mike; I had posted this by simply starting a new thread, but it would serve better in another forum.
    packing.org is (or was) a whole different site. THIS is opencarry.org...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Guess what? It was at the top of this thread as I just read it....

John McCain - I won't be voting for him any time soon. Not after that piece of effluvia that he and Feingoldsponsored whichlimits free speech.

Post imported post

Thank you roscoe. Packing.org is gone now, so I can't even use the excuse of having them open at the same time.

Edited to comply.

Post imported post

Post imported post

I got a McCain ad as I was viewing this thread...

Better than the AirSoft ads that I've been seeing here lately.