Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: McCain ad

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, ,
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    While perusing the "Long Gun Open Carry Get Together in Hampton Roads" thread
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/6876.html

    I noticed at the bottom a political ad for John McCain, payed for by "John McCain 2008". I havent looked around extensivly to see it again, but I am on often, and I had though that the banners on the site were random, usually for ringtones, drivecleaners, and other staples of internet advertising (I am not sure if this ad will be replicated when others view the page). Is this being placed with permission of opencarry.org? Or was this done by the server/ other outsider. While I salute his record, and agree with a number of his views, I am surprised to find a pro-specific candidate ad on opencarry.org.

    Edited for clarity

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    I don't know how the ads get here maybe John can elaborate. I saw one to impeach VP Cheney. I just click on one now and then to get some money for OCDO.

  3. #3
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    Who cares what the banner is for... if a banner ad can make up your mind about a candidate, you have other issues to deal with...:?

    It is advertising just like anything else, and I could almost certainly tell you with confidence that McCain had no idea to put it on this site inparticular, and they probably don't even know its here.


  4. #4
    Regular Member vt357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    490

    Post imported post

    Wow I did not even know that this site had ads. :shock:

    I use Firefox with adblock so I never see any banner ads anymore. I have used it for several years now. I guess I have forgotten what it was like to use IE.

  5. #5
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    vt357 wrote:
    Wow I did not even know that this site had ads. :shock:

    I use Firefox with adblock so I never see any banner ads anymore. I have used it for several years now. I guess I have forgotten what it was like to use IE.
    I also use firefox, but I see ads, maybe an update is in order...


  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, ,
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    openryan wrote:
    Who cares what the banner is for... if a banner ad can make up your mind about a candidate, you have other issues to deal with...:?

    It is advertising just like anything else, and I could almost certainly tell you with confidence that McCain had no idea to put it on this site inparticular, and they probably don't even know its here.
    It certainly is not going to change anyone's mind (for someone influenced by a banner ad would certainly change it again to someone else in the year till the election), but rather it is an issue of whether opencarry.org has taken money to promote a candidate. While I agree that McCain has no idea that the ad was on the site, the question is did opencarry.org?

  7. #7
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    samdavisrises wrote:
    openryan wrote:
    Who cares what the banner is for... if a banner ad can make up your mind about a candidate, you have other issues to deal with...:?

    It is advertising just like anything else, and I could almost certainly tell you with confidence that McCain had no idea to put it on this site inparticular, and they probably don't even know its here.
    It certainly is not going to change anyone's mind (for someone influenced by a banner ad would certainly change it again to someone else in the year till the election), but rather it is an issue of whether packing.org has taken money to promote a candidate. While I agree that McCain has no idea that the ad was on the site, the question is did packing.org?
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the ads are supported by google, and that google puts the advertisements on the site, based on what the site is about, that is why there are a lot of gun ads, and it is somewhat political, so I would expect this type of ad to come up from time to time.

    However, I don't think they tell you exactly what ad's will be placed in the banners...

    Obviously, McCain paid for the ad, they paid google, and google places the ads on sites, and those sites get money for ads/clicks, so if you divide all the sites that have this ad, and the money paid for it, I guess in turn OCDO gets a small, small party of what McCain paid for the ad, as long as the requirements are met.


  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    samdavisrises wrote:
    Is this being placed with permission of packing.org?
    Huh?

  9. #9
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    samdavisrises wrote:
    it is an issue of whether packing.org has taken money to promote a candidate. While I agree that McCain has no idea that the ad was on the site, the question is did packing.org?
    Huh?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, ,
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    "Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the ads are supported by google, and that google puts the advertisements on the site, based on what the site is about, that is why there are a lot of gun ads, and it is somewhat political, so I would expect this type of ad to come up from time to time.

    However, I don't think they tell you exactly what ad's will be placed in the banners...

    Obviously, McCain paid for the ad, they paid google, and google places the ads on sites, and those sites get money for ads/clicks, so if you divide all the sites that have this ad, and the money paid for it, I guess in turn OCDO gets a small, small party of what McCain paid for the ad, as long as the requirements are met."



    Thank you, Openryan, you have put the matter better than I. While I assume, like you, that these are google ads, and are merely a matter of course to offset the maintainance of the site, I am simply raising the question of whether or not this might have been an agreed upon ad that opencarry.org took money to place specifically, rather than a random ad in the google-ads rotation.

    I realize that I am to some degree making mountains of molehills, and do not object to the ad, I am merely curious as to whether there or not the PTB knew that it was there. I trust that the computer word-analysis programs know better than to put a Hillary ad here. :P

    In conclusion, I an not criticizing, merely curious as to the degree of human involvement in the ad-placing process.


  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, ,
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    I trust that the computer word-analysis programs know better than to put a Hillary ad here.


    I needn't have worried; when I reloaded the thread, I found a "Stop Hillary-Care" ad at the top of the page

  12. #12
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    samdavisrises wrote:
    I am simply raising the question of whether or not this might have been an agreed upon ad that packing.org took money to place specifically
    Go post thisquestion at Packing.org then.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, ,
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    Can a mod move this to the general forum to avoid doubleposting it.

    Thank you for noting Mike; I had posted this by simply starting a new thread, but it would serve better in another forum.

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran roscoe13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Catlett, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,134

    Post imported post

    samdavisrises wrote:
    Can a mod move this to the general forum to avoid doubleposting it.

    Thank you for noting Mike; I had posted this by simply starting a new thread, but it would serve better in another forum.
    packing.org is (or was) a whole different site. THIS is opencarry.org...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

  15. #15
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    Posts
    621

    Post imported post

    Guess what? It was at the top of this thread as I just read it....

    John McCain - I won't be voting for him any time soon. Not after that piece of effluvia that he and Feingoldsponsored whichlimits free speech.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, ,
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    Thank you roscoe. Packing.org is gone now, so I can't even use the excuse of having them open at the same time.

    Edited to comply.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,244

    Post imported post


  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    I got a McCain ad as I was viewing this thread...

    Better than the AirSoft ads that I've been seeing here lately.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •