Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the Red Cross going Anti-gun?

Post imported post

Today - Porter Library - Stafford Virginia. Called the 800 number and
    complained. Refused to give blood.

I talked to the supervisor of the bus crew. She said someone had
    fainted and pulled their gun when they woke up...AND said it was not
    her call.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post imported post

Pic #2

Post imported post

Pic#3

Post imported post

That story seems a little strange to me.

I sure hope no cops faint after donating blood.. They could pull out a variety of weapons.....

Post imported post

when I see that, I immediately think "define weapon."

Post imported post

Hands and Feet!!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I oc'ed on the INOVA blood bank bus in front of the north Stafford Wal-Mart the last time I donated. Nothing at all was said to me about it.

Guess I won't be donating to the Red Cross any time soon.

Post imported post

To call and complain, call 1-800-GIVE-LIFE (800-448-3543).

Post imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
    I oc'ed on the INOVA blood bank bus in front of the north Stafford Wal-Mart the last time I donated. Nothing at all was said to me about it.

Guess I won't be donating to the Red Cross any time soon.
    I have done the INOVA and the Red Cross with no issues before. I will have to see what is the outcome of my complaint...after all, I do like to save lives!

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

I was a high volume platelet donor for ten years, always armed from the passage of SC's CWP law. High volume means two needles for two hours twice per month and a 'double donation' - for ten years. The region had one bigger donor but with an exceptionally high density of platelets.

I went in one day five-ish years ago and saw a non-conforming 'no guns' sign stuck to the front door. I left, protested by phone call, e-mail and letter and never went back. They ignored me, further whittling away at their donor population. SCROOM

Subsequently I learned that they were prohibiting LEOs armed during ARC proceedures.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP ******* I could easily add ARC.

Banned

Post imported post

Moderator LW, could this go national, news and political alerts, please?

Post imported post

Red Cross used to call me all the time to donate since I'm B+ which is kind of rare. They won't let me donate since I lived in Europe as a child back in the 80s.

Apparently people who lived in Europe in that time frame are potential carriers of Mad Cow Disease and there is no test as of yet to screen humans for Mad Cow.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

soloban wrote:
    Red Cross used to call me all the time to donate since I'm B+ which is kind of rare. They won't let me donate since I lived in Europe as a child back in the 80s.

Apparently people who lived in Europe in that time frame are potential carriers of Mad Cow Disease and there is no test as of yet to screen humans for Mad Cow.
    I'm also B+ and was a 2-gallon plus donor. I donated several times after I returned from a military tour in Turkey, but then they decided they don't want my blood any more - we ate British beef.

You'd think now I've been back for 15 years they'd know.

And - dumb question since I'm not a medical professional - if they can't screen humans for Mad Cow, how would they know if one had it?
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

I donated once and passed out, they sent me a nice letter politely inviting me never to come back.

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    soloban wrote:

I'm also B+ and was a 2-gallon plus donor. I donated several times after I returned from a military tour in Turkey, but then they decided they don't want my blood any more - we ate British beef.

And - dumb question since I'm not a medical professional - if they can't screen humans for Mad Cow, how would they know if one had it?
    I'm not a Dr. nor do I play one on TV but I think its one of those diseases that you can carry but not show symptoms but still pass it on to someone else. Kind of like chicken pox or herpes.

Post imported post

soloban wrote:
    Tess wrote:
    soloban wrote:

I'm not a Dr. nor do I play one on TV but I think its one of those diseases that you can carry but not show symptoms but still pass it on to someone else. Kind of like chicken pox or herpes.
    Did you stay at a holiday inn express? Oh, stay on topic, did you stay there before you tried do donate blood while carrying?

Post imported post

I swear, the Red Cross PO's me a little more every year.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Moved up to News and Political Alerts.

Banned

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    It is not a matter of 'can't screen' but of timeliness and cost that ARC can't afford. One is found to have CJDv (Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, the human version of BSE) too late.

Much of the problem with its treatment is the public's insistence to treat it as an infectious agent like a bacteria. The transmission is currently thought to be purely physical between a susceptible protein and a mis-folded PrP protein. There is some dawning suspicion that there may be an infectious agent as catalyst.

The ARC functions as though they have an unlimited donor population eventhough they are only just able to keep ahead of alternate lifestyles' health effecth.

State Researcher

Post imported post

The one time I tried to donate blood, I got a letter asking me never to donate again, since, after all, my blood tested positive for HIV.

This was in high school, and at this point, I had never been within 10 feet of a girl, much less had intercourse with an infected one!

So needless to say I don't donate blood anymore. I wouldn't mind saving some lives, but the Red Cross dropped the ball when some lab tech dropped some of his Whopper Jr. in my test sample.

Post imported post

I have a buddy with aids, the medication he takes makes him loopy as bat ****. Unlike alot of people who get it, he made the choice to go out with a postive person. So i can't feel sorry for him.

Personally i've only donated once, and i've since decided to selfishly keep all my blood on the inside.

Post imported post

MadBadger wrote:
    The one time I tried to donate blood, I got a letter asking me never to donate again, since, after all, my blood tested positive for HIV.

This was in high school, and at this point, I had never been within 10 feet of a girl, much less had intercourse with an infected one!

So needless to say I don't donate blood anymore.* I wouldn't mind saving some lives, but the Red Cross dropped the ball when some lab tech dropped some of his Whopper Jr. in my test sample.*
    You've gotten tested since to rule out the false positive right? I remember doing the math in statistics class about how mandatory HIV testing of every person in the US would lead to hundreds if not thousands of deaths a year because no matter how small the risk of false positives and no matter how small the incidence of suicide caused by positive result notification, when you're working with 300 million people, it adds up.
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

soloban wrote:

I lived in Great Britain for 2 years and I am therefore not a Blood donor INDEFINATE:shock:they told me

Banned

Post imported post

I can see the Red Crosses point. People often pass out after giving blood. They don't want a person getting accidentally shot by a startled person when they regain consciencnesson the floor with several people kneeling over them or attempting to place them on a lounge. One of the first thingsparamedics will do is have Law enforcement called to the scene to secure your firearm if you are being transported to the hospital. It happened to me 10-12 years ago and I picked my weapon up at the police station a couple of days latter. One of the officersfrom that awful night was walking out of the station and stop to see how I was doing. Everyone was pleasant, kind and professional. I got my gun back and headed home. No big deal.

That was the day I learned thatI'mstill allergic to bee sings when they get me 15 times all at once. Thank God for Epi-pens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast