• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is the Red Cross going Anti-gun?

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Today - Porter Library - Stafford Virginia. Called the 800 number and
complained. Refused to give blood.:cuss:

I talked to the supervisor of the bus crew. She said someone had
fainted and pulled their gun when they woke up...AND said it was not
her call.

Attachments

• 100_4222.JPG
    100_4222.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 652

LEO 229

imported post

That story seems a little strange to me.

I sure hope no cops faint after donating blood.. They could pull out a variety of weapons.....

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I oc'ed on the INOVA blood bank bus in front of the north Stafford Wal-Mart the last time I donated. Nothing at all was said to me about it.

Guess I won't be donating to the Red Cross any time soon.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
I oc'ed on the INOVA blood bank bus in front of the north Stafford Wal-Mart the last time I donated. Nothing at all was said to me about it.

Guess I won't be donating to the Red Cross any time soon.
I have done the INOVA and the Red Cross with no issues before. I will have to see what is the outcome of my complaint...after all, I do like to save lives!

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I was a high volume platelet donor for ten years, always armed from the passage of SC's CWP law. High volume means two needles for two hours twice per month and a 'double donation' - for ten years. The region had one bigger donor but with an exceptionally high density of platelets.

I went in one day five-ish years ago and saw a non-conforming 'no guns' sign stuck to the front door. I left, protested by phone call, e-mail and letter and never went back. They ignored me, further whittling away at their donor population. SCROOM

Subsequently I learned that they were prohibiting LEOs armed during ARC proceedures.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$ I could easily add ARC.

soloban

imported post

Red Cross used to call me all the time to donate since I'm B+ which is kind of rare. They won't let me donate since I lived in Europe as a child back in the 80s.

Apparently people who lived in Europe in that time frame are potential carriers of Mad Cow Disease and there is no test as of yet to screen humans for Mad Cow. :uhoh:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

soloban wrote:
Red Cross used to call me all the time to donate since I'm B+ which is kind of rare. They won't let me donate since I lived in Europe as a child back in the 80s.

Apparently people who lived in Europe in that time frame are potential carriers of Mad Cow Disease and there is no test as of yet to screen humans for Mad Cow. :uhoh:
I'm also B+ and was a 2-gallon plus donor. I donated several times after I returned from a military tour in Turkey, but then they decided they don't want my blood any more - we ate British beef.

You'd think now I've been back for 15 years they'd know.

And - dumb question since I'm not a medical professional - if they can't screen humans for Mad Cow, how would they know if one had it?

soloban

imported post

Tess wrote:
soloban wrote:

I'm also B+ and was a 2-gallon plus donor. I donated several times after I returned from a military tour in Turkey, but then they decided they don't want my blood any more - we ate British beef.

And - dumb question since I'm not a medical professional - if they can't screen humans for Mad Cow, how would they know if one had it?
I'm not a Dr. nor do I play one on TV but I think its one of those diseases that you can carry but not show symptoms but still pass it on to someone else. Kind of like chicken pox or herpes.

sccrref

imported post

soloban wrote:
Tess wrote:
soloban wrote:

I'm not a Dr. nor do I play one on TV but I think its one of those diseases that you can carry but not show symptoms but still pass it on to someone else. Kind of like chicken pox or herpes.
Did you stay at a holiday inn express? Oh, stay on topic, did you stay there before you tried do donate blood while carrying?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Tess wrote:
It is not a matter of 'can't screen' but of timeliness and cost that ARC can't afford. One is found to have CJDv (Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, the human version of BSE) too late.

Much of the problem with its treatment is the public's insistence to treat it as an infectious agent like a bacteria. The transmission is currently thought to be purely physical between a susceptible protein and a mis-folded PrP protein. There is some dawning suspicion that there may be an infectious agent as catalyst.

The ARC functions as though they have an unlimited donor population eventhough they are only just able to keep ahead of alternate lifestyles' health effecth.

MadBadger

State Researcher
imported post

The one time I tried to donate blood, I got a letter asking me never to donate again, since, after all, my blood tested positive for HIV.

This was in high school, and at this point, I had never been within 10 feet of a girl, much less had intercourse with an infected one!

So needless to say I don't donate blood anymore. I wouldn't mind saving some lives, but the Red Cross dropped the ball when some lab tech dropped some of his Whopper Jr. in my test sample. :lol: