• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is the Red Cross going Anti-gun?

nofoa

imported post

I have a buddy with aids, the medication he takes makes him loopy as bat shit. Unlike alot of people who get it, he made the choice to go out with a postive person. So i can't feel sorry for him.

Personally i've only donated once, and i've since decided to selfishly keep all my blood on the inside.

unrequited

imported post

MadBadger wrote:
The one time I tried to donate blood, I got a letter asking me never to donate again, since, after all, my blood tested positive for HIV.

This was in high school, and at this point, I had never been within 10 feet of a girl, much less had intercourse with an infected one!

So needless to say I don't donate blood anymore.  I wouldn't mind saving some lives, but the Red Cross dropped the ball when some lab tech dropped some of his Whopper Jr. in my test sample.  :lol:
You've gotten tested since to rule out the false positive right? I remember doing the math in statistics class about how mandatory HIV testing of every person in the US would lead to hundreds if not thousands of deaths a year because no matter how small the risk of false positives and no matter how small the incidence of suicide caused by positive result notification, when you're working with 300 million people, it adds up.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

soloban wrote:
Red Cross used to call me all the time to donate since I'm B+ which is kind of rare. They won't let me donate since I lived in Europe as a child back in the 80s.

Apparently people who lived in Europe in that time frame are potential carriers of Mad Cow Disease and there is no test as of yet to screen humans for Mad Cow. :uhoh:
I lived in Great Britain for 2 years and I am therefore not a Blood donor INDEFINATE:shock:they told me

jack

Banned
imported post

I can see the Red Crosses point. People often pass out after giving blood. They don't want a person getting accidentally shot by a startled person when they regain consciencnesson the floor with several people kneeling over them or attempting to place them on a lounge. One of the first thingsparamedics will do is have Law enforcement called to the scene to secure your firearm if you are being transported to the hospital. It happened to me 10-12 years ago and I picked my weapon up at the police station a couple of days latter. One of the officersfrom that awful night was walking out of the station and stop to see how I was doing. Everyone was pleasant, kind and professional. I got my gun back and headed home. No big deal.

That was the day I learned thatI'mstill allergic to bee sings when they get me 15 times all at once. Thank God for Epi-pens.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Sorry, you're naively wrong with "people often pass out." People do and it is not uncommon but it happens in a small fraction of blood center visits.

Safety is a tyrant's tool; no one can be against safety.

Again my personal anecdote, my empiric-personal knowlege; I was a high volume platelet donor for ten years and always armed until ARC became a disarmed victim's zone.

jack

Banned
imported post

I donate regularly at a large center. They actually give you a cookie and a 4oz. cup of orange juice to prevent people from passing out (will no doubt do more than prohibiting guns). They ask you to watch Tv in the lounge/ recovery area for 15-20 minutes to make sure you don't experience any light headiness, and are able to drive ok.Some of the centers now have lounge chairs with seat belt to prevent someone from injuring themselves in a fall, after passing out. Do you really think they take all these precautions because very few people ever pass out while donating?

Over the years I have seen many folks pass out while donating.Everyone reacts different to the whole process. I personally understand the Red cross's point and will continue to donate. Someday we may be a recipient (God forbid) and need well stocked blood banks.