• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked out of Wal-Mart

nathan

imported post

I was trying to buy some wrapping paper and tape today at the Hazel Dell Walmart in Vancouver, WA when I was approached by a Walmart employee who informed me that I wasn't allowed to carry a gun in the store. I told her that my understanding of their policy was that it mirrored state law regarding firearms. She called her manager over, his name is Race Robbins, and we had the same dialog. He called a regional manager who told him that Walmart policy does mirror state law but that it is private property and they don't want people carrying firearms on their property.

I tried to point out that was a contradiction but he told me basically that if I didn't leave I would be trespassing at that point. He told me to call 1-800-Walmart which I have done and am waiting to hear back.

Does anyone have any other advice of someone to contact or should I just wait to hear back from them? Thanks.

Bear 45/70

imported post

nathan wrote:
I was trying to buy some wrapping paper and tape today at the Hazel Dell Walmart in Vancouver, WA when I was approached by a Walmart employee who informed me that I wasn't allowed to carry a gun in the store. I told her that my understanding of their policy was that it mirrored state law regarding firearms. She called her manager over, his name is Race Robbins, and we had the same dialog. He called a regional manager who told him that Walmart policy does mirror state law but that it is private property and they don't want people carrying firearms on their property.

I tried to point out that was a contradiction but he told me basically that if I didn't leave I would be trespassing at that point. He told me to call 1-800-Walmart which I have done and am waiting to hear back.

Does anyone have any other advice of someone to contact or should I just wait to hear back from them? Thanks.
WalMart = La La Land

just_a_car

imported post

And when that manager and regional manageris set in his place by the head of security, I would suggest requesting a Personal Apology from the Regional Manager, the Store Manager, and the Employee for making your shopping experience a poor one.

Phssthpok

imported post

I've OC'd in teh Wally-World up on Mill PLain about a dozen times with no incident. I may have to try my hand in Dazel Dell...:?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Nathan,

Call Jason and ask for his mailing address so that you can copy him on a letter to the WalMart manager in question.

Then send a letter to advise tat walmart manager that you did contact WalMart management as he/she suggested, and lawful gun carry (i.e., open carry) was confirmed to be "not prohibited" by WalMart and that this letter is to inform him/her that you will be returning to that WalMart and shopping while open carrying and to properly instruct all his/her store personnel on WalMart policy to clear up any onging misunderstandings so that your shopping efforts will not be hindered in the future.

Give the manager 5 business days to receive the letter and 5 more to respond to you, then start shopping there again.

nathan

imported post

I haven't been able to get ahold of Jason Schmitt or Maty Havener but I will try again after Christmas.

Melissa from Asset Protection informed me that it was the store managers decision but that generally the customer would be asked to either conceal the gun or leave it in their car and that failure to do so would be considered trespassing.

Brad, an assistant manager, told me that Walmarts policies are confidential and aren't shared with outside entities and that Walmart is private property. Everyone I have spoken with repeated the line about Walmart being private property (no kidding) so that must be something they are trained to say.

I will be doing my shopping elsewhere now.

Bear 45/70

imported post

nathan wrote:
I haven't been able to get ahold of Jason Schmitt or Maty Havener but I will try again after Christmas.

Melissa from Asset Protection informed me that it was the store managers decision but that generally the customer would be asked to either conceal the gun or leave it in their car and that failure to do so would be considered trespassing.

Brad, an assistant manager, told me that Walmarts policies are confidential are aren't shared with outside entities and that Walmart is private property. Everyone I have spoken with repeated the line about Walmart being private property (no kidding) so that must be something they are trained to say.

Uninformed or misinformed managers and assistant mangers is not just a Walmart problem but a fairly universal problem in the retail chain business. Rarely or ever are policy issues left in the hands of local managers in a retail chain. These people are full of crap and they are gonna be eating major crow over this.

PavePusher

imported post

nathan wrote:

Brad, an assistant manager, told me that Walmarts policies are confidential and aren't shared with outside entities and that Walmart is private property. Everyone I have spoken with repeated the line about Walmart being private property (no kidding) so that must be something they are trained to say.

Uuuh, WTF?! Even if No Carry was their policy, if it's a "confidential" policy, how the h*## is anyone supposed to know not to carry in there? This guy is wearing his gluteus maximus as a cranial cover...

dt

imported post

I work just down the street. The worst part is that it's such a crappy part of town to begin with. Kids selling drugs in the apartments right across the street, etc. Although Wal Martseems to attract wierdos like moths to light no matter where they are located, that one iscertainly the worst in Clark County,IMO.I usually CC when I'm there, butone of thesedays...

compmanio365

imported post

Sitrep wrote:
I'm sorry, but our policies are so secret, that we don't even know what they are.

Is Walmart a government subsidy? :p

The funny thing is, I most often go to the Puyallup Walmart, and have talked to the general manager, who saw my point of view, and had no issue with me continuing to open carry there. I've also talked to staff at the Lakewood Walmart, which others have said to have problems with, and while they may not have understood or agreed with my decision to carry, by the time I was done talking with them,they understood it was my right to carry this way, and since I was doing no harm, and was giving them my business, they generally could leave me alone while I was doing my shopping there. Haven't had any problem since.

Since Walmart is a huge corporation, like any other conglomerate, it can be expected that the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing, and the right doesn't care what the left hand thinks in the first place. Our task is making the right hand care about the problems with the left hand and making sure they work together to keep OCers from being harassed if they want our business. Walmart already gets enough bad publicity as the "Made in China" outlet which has people on their toes; the last thing they want is an open boycott by a growing civil rights movement broadcasting that Walmart doesn't care about Americans' Constitutional rights and pissing more people off.......if we are persistent at the store level, it seems to be working, one store at a time.

Walmart's corporate level has already stated they follow the state's laws of the location of the store itself, now we just have to make the managers' of those stores realize we know that and are not going to stand for them making up their own policies that refuse us our rights asthey go. This is not about our rights vs private property rights, because Walmart's upper management, the ones who CAN make the decision about banning/allowing carry in their stores, has already said they follow the state laws when deciding to allow/ban carry in their stores. Basically they have said they are not getting involved, let the states decide what is legal for you to do, and they will follow.

Certain people let their personal feelings on the matter cloud their judgement as managers of these stores, and their people who only know "Do what the boss tells me or lose my job" are telling us "You can't do that here". They don't know any better, but the manager who gets the notice from corporate saying "Follow state law in regards to lawful carry of firearms in your store(s)" is the one going rogue and doing whatever they want, thinking we will roll over and just go away.

amlevin

imported post

I can honestly say that "Wally World" got absolutely ZERO Christmas dollars from me. I find it more fun to shop and support businesses that treat me like the Customer, not just someone that is temporarily carrying THEIR money around.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've had a lot of luck helping businesses treat me like a customer, meaning I try to make it easy for them.

What has worked best for me is a pleasant, ready smile and personal inquiry of some sort. Something to show an interest in them as a person beyond their employee status:

"Gosh, you all look busy tonight. Is it always like this?" Etc.

Slash

imported post

I have on one occation had an issue at walmart. Although the issue was in Montana I was given the same responce of that it was private property and if I didn't leave it would be trespassing. I am wondering if this is an issue with regular walmarts. I only had this problem at a regular walmart and not super walmarts.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Slash wrote:
I have on one occation had an issue at walmart. Although the issue was in Montana I was given the same responce of that it was private property and if I didn't leave it would be trespassing. I am wondering if this is an issue with regular walmarts. I only had this problem at a regular walmart and not super walmarts.
Welcome to OCDO, Slash.

The real issue is really the lack of education and training by WalMart on this issue. The problem stems from the fact that employees are entirely foridden to carry on company property or while representing WalMart, so they think this extends to their customers.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Well it's 10 years on and nothing has changed. I just got off the phone with Walmart customer services and they still don't have a clue what their own policies are.
My 2 cents...

Years ago (even longer ago than the last time there was a post in this thread), when OC of sidearms was in its infancy, I pushed for Wal-Mart to develop a written policy. Mike (one of the co-founders of OCDO) kept saying essentially "Leave it alone, if they put something in writing the lawyers will write it, and you won't like the result".

As the years went by, I came to recognize that he was right. Sure, there are notable exceptions like the Kroger company, which had an unwritten pro-gun policy which they finally turned into a *written* pro-gun policy - but I think they're the exception.

WM may have backed off a bit over the years, in that I've seen it reported that a manager has discretion if other guests are bothered - but I have the same fear now that Mike had years ago. In every instance I can think of, contacting higher ups has generally resulted in an apology and/or a gift card.

Bottom line, IMHO, sometimes something not written can be better than something which is written, but which disfavors "us".

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
John Casillas was not what he seemed to be. His account has been deleted and blocked.

I continue to find Walmart very gun friendly. Most managers are very knowledgeable.

Last edited: